Turtles for Jack. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Turtles for Jack.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 06:51 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

What's a Woolworth store?

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 05-01-2011, 07:36 PM   #12

those are some rather small common snapping turtles. Here is a couple of Alligator Snapping Turtles from a relocation project I worked on a few years ago

ast-websize.jpg   ast-perspecive.jpg  

Prescribed Fire is Mother Nature's plastic surgeon.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:39 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICTIMNOMORE View Post
those are some rather small common snapping turtles. Here is a couple of Alligator Snapping Turtles from a relocation project I worked on a few years ago
Dang man!!! Those things could take an arm off.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 05-01-2011, 07:40 PM   #14

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Holy Hell!! That is a serious turtle you got there.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #15
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7091 Times on 4268 Posts
Likes Given: 8599

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuate View Post
Back when I was a kid we could buy little live turtles with pretty designs painted upon their backs, & buy turtle food along with them. I had a couple of turtle pets in a shallow bowl with water and a flat rock they could climb up on when they wanted out of the water...

And alas....some nanny brained people like the tree huggers and bunny kissers outlawed those pets because "they could carry disease"...I didn't get the mumps, measels, and whooping cough from turtles !

The Woolworth dime stores were where I got my pets and I fed and cleaned their bowls when needed...
Not only could those turtles carry salmonella but the painting on their backs deformed the shells and eventually killed the turtles. That being said........

We could buy those turtles, goldfish and parakeets at the local Ben Franklin five and dime. I remember buying goldfish and carrying them home in a little paper box with a metal handle, much like Chinese food comes in.

My brother and I used to bring home garter snakes and crayfish from the local creek, too.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:59 PM   #16

Yep! those alligator snappers can get to over 300lbs in some cases. And yes, they can bite hard!!! this I know first "hand". I about lost the tip of my right ring finger that day. Dang turtle bit from inside a bag. Had to use some pliers to pry open its mouth to get my fingers out. It was just a good thing the turtle that got me was a small one...here I'll post a pic of that one..

one-bit-me.jpg   closeup-one-bit-me.jpg  

Old 05-01-2011, 09:00 PM   #17

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Damn!! I have never heard of such a critter, but I am no longer sure that I like turtles.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:04 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If those things live in NC I don't think I feel comfortable using a 357 as my woods gun anymore.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 05-01-2011, 09:08 PM   #19
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7091 Times on 4268 Posts
Likes Given: 8599

One rainy day on my way to work early one morning there was a snapper in the middle of the road. It's carapace was about a foot long. I didn't want it to get hit so I pulled over and I was going to push it off the road with my foot, kind of shove it along. So I walk up to it and put my foot on it and give it a shove. It slides along about 18 inches. I walk up to it to give it another shove and it lunges for my foot. It caught me off guard so here I am on a dark and rainy road getting attacked by a snapping turtle I was trying to help. I'm up on my tip toes doing this tiny stepped back step trying to get away from it because I knew if it got a hold of my shoe I'd be wearing this turtle into work attached to my shoe. So I figured I'd just leave it in the road, if it gets hit, it gets hit. As I walked back to my car he ran off into the ditch. When I got to work and told this story, someone suggested I should have picked it up by the tail and walked it off the road. NO WAY would I pick that dang thing up. I'd be afraid he'd go for my hand as I was reaching down to get his tail.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:51 PM   #20

Well with alligator snappers their neck is not as long as a common snapper, a common snapper can reach around and grab you if you have 'em by carapace like the picture up there. And that video...that guy almost got his nuts bit off.

And yes, I'm not sure that 357 would be big enough to pierce the shell. Just as hard and thick as an alligator...almost. They are actually more docile than a common snapper, and for this reason I think that the snapping turtle that WOC described was probably a common snapper. The behavior sounds typical on a common snapper. Alligator snappers don't usually jump like that. The common snappers are actually more vicious that the more fearsomeness looking alligator snappers.

You can find the range of the alligator snapping turtle here http://herpcenter.ipfw.edu/Accounts/reptiles/turtles/Alligator_Snapping_Turtle/Materials/AlligatorSnappingTurtle_USdist.bmp