Turkey Shoots? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Turkey Shoots?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2009, 08:51 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Custom chokes?

We have guys that use 2.5" dia SS barrels on Savage 210 actions in big azz Richards microfit bench rest stocks with 3.5" wide forearms and 6-24x40 or 8-32x40 scopes on them. They don't use chokes and they are bored at .673" all the way with chambers that are really tight. Some of them produce fired shells that show no signs of a crimp what so ever.

Next shoot we have I will take some pics of some of the guns and post them.

Hell we have one guy that purchased a used box van and built a rack for the guns and mounted it on top of a tool box. It has lighting to showcase

here is the one we use the most of. But it has a single red dot the size of a #9 pellet.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:07 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ours is done at the fire department, 2 dollars a shot and 12 people in a round. if 2 people are real close they will have a shoot off and then go review to see who is the winner then they announce what you win for that round.

after so many rounds they do a round for the kids, and also the money round. the money round is 3$ and there is a square foot steel plate at the top of a post with a tiny hole in it, and if you shoot and one of your pellets goes through and actually breaks the light bulb, and puts the light out. you win half of the money.

they also have something else, im not real sure how this works, sort of like the money round tango mentioned, but it goes through the whole 12 weeks, and if you pay and win this round, you move on and on and so forth, and at the end of the year, they have one last shoot from all the winners of this round and they give a big prize, I didnt go last year but my brother said it was a buddy stand.

chokes, you can use whatever you want. most of the guys out there are friends, so you may shoot one round with one choke, then the next round, you may decide to use somebody else's gun. my brother has a gun that about 7 different people like to use, just because it wins a lot. its known out there as "the money gun"

if you dont have choke tubes, the guy that judges the targets has a box full of them nicely labeled and if you want one to use he will let you use it.

last weekend was my first, it was actually my first time ever shooting a shotgun, but I had a lot of fun. i went back this past weekend and didnt do so well. but I shoot freehand, biggest part of the other guys rest their hand on the post and put the barrel between their index finger and thumb.

I have a lot of fun, i talked my mom and dad into going out last weekend. anyone reading this that has never been to one, I would strongly suggest it, they are a lot of fun.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
At our Turkey shoot here are the rules.

Stock gun choke has to be .680" or bigger and barrel can't be more than 30" and no scopes open sights ok.

.673"

Choke has to be .673" or bigger any barrel length scopes ok.

Super shoot: Run what ya brung choke down to .630" anything else goes.
Quote:
Custom chokes?

We have guys that use 2.5" dia SS barrels on Savage 210 actions in big azz Richards microfit bench rest stocks with 3.5" wide forearms and 6-24x40 or 8-32x40 scopes on them. They don't use chokes and they are bored at .673" all the way with chambers that are really tight. Some of them produce fired shells that show no signs of a crimp what so ever.

Next shoot we have I will take some pics of some of the guns and post them.

Hell we have one guy that purchased a used box van and built a rack for the guns and mounted it on top of a tool box. It has lighting to showcase

here is the one we use the most of. But it has a single red dot the size of a #9 pellet.

Do y'all have different classes?
Because you are describing different setups.
We have a more open class, anything goes, the hardcores have extra full chokes allowing tight consistent patterns. The most pellet holes in the designated target wins.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:54 PM   #14

We run two classes Stock which is limited to .680" chokes and 30" barrels with no scopes. Open sights are allowed. Then we have the .673" class which is really an open class with the only restriction being 36" barrels and a choke no smaller than .673"

We will twice a season hold a super shoot where the only restriction is chokes can't be any smaller than .630" Other than that anything goes.

Last saturday of the month is a stock shoot and all other weekends are .673 shoots.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:59 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

.630 would be nice. know of any companies that offer one of those for a remington?

Old 11-25-2009, 11:04 PM   #16

Quote:
We run two classes Stock which is limited to .680" chokes and 30" barrels with no scopes. Open sights are allowed. Then we have the .673" class which is really an open class with the only restriction being 36" barrels and a choke no smaller than .673"

We will twice a season hold a super shoot where the only restriction is chokes can't be any smaller than .630" Other than that anything goes.

Last saturday of the month is a stock shoot and all other weekends are .673 shoots.
Standard Turkey Chokes are .660".
Us Rednecks down here get wild with our Custom Chokes.
I won't be allowed in your shoots.
In my neck of the woods, to make it to the Trophy Match you better have a tight custom choke. Mine's a competition choke made by Rhino...and yeah it kicks hard.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:14 PM   #17

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsmeShane View Post
i dont like that rule.
Well, there is a little more to it than what I originally posted.

The steaks are reserved for the higher dollar "money rounds" towards the end of the day. You can still still chose the other meats if you like. But they try to give you 2-3 choices at the end of every round. I don't mind the way they do it because it ensures a large turn-out of shooters when they first get started, as most folks want the first crack at the bigger cuts of meat. They save the "really good stuff" for the end to make sure everyone hangs around and doesn't leave early.

It keeps a steady stream of money coming in during the day which of course benefits the group sponsoring the event.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:01 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
Well, there is a little more to it than what I originally posted.

The steaks are reserved for the higher dollar "money rounds" towards the end of the day. You can still still chose the other meats if you like. But they try to give you 2-3 choices at the end of every round. I don't mind the way they do it because it ensures a large turn-out of shooters when they first get started, as most folks want the first crack at the bigger cuts of meat. They save the "really good stuff" for the end to make sure everyone hangs around and doesn't leave early.

It keeps a steady stream of money coming in during the day which of course benefits the group sponsoring the event.
i just think there would be more involvement if you kept the prize a secret. you would have a lot more involvement. people wouldnt come shoot a few rounds take all the good stuff and leave. like the big prize at the end of the year you could be shooting for anything. you dont know but it will be worth it if you win. it spoils the fun I think if you get to pick what you want. Me personally, I like the surprise.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:39 PM   #19

Our last round of the night is a $5 bacon round.

That is $4 in the pot for the bacon and $1 in the side pot. (You have to be in the side pot).

Old 11-26-2009, 04:17 PM   #20

I'm from a very rural area in the county I live.
We have a few "Turkey Shoots" during the fall, winter & spring season.
The shoots may have different names, but they all fall under the category
and rules of a Turkey Shoot. In October, Halloween day, we have a "Pumpkin Shoot". In mid November we have our "Turkey Shoot". In mid December we have a "Raindeer Shoot". New Year's Day we have a "Father Time Shoot". At Easter time we have an "Easter Egg Shoot". In July we have a "Firecracker Shoot", but it's soo hot that there's not much of a turn out. I look for the organizer to drop the "Firecracker Shoot" before too long.

The targets will vary depending on which shoot you're at, but it's the same criteria. For example; the Pumpkin Shoot will have a Jack-O-Lantern target design with a target inside the main target, our Raindeer Shoot will have a picture of a Raindeer with a target inside of it, our New Year's Shoot will have a picture of Father Time (old man w/ long grey hair & beard) holding a big pocket watch on a chain- the target is within the pocket watch he's holding. Hope you get the idea.

Depending on how many people show up will decide how many matches there are. If a constant makes it to the Trophy Match then they have won a frozen turkey. The winner of the Trophy Match wins a trophy (grand prize) for the event.

This past Halloween I won the annual Pumpkin Shoot.
I posted a topic about it in the Competition Shooting Forum.
here's the link; http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f48/i-ruled-trophy-match-19694/

Tags
turkey shoots