Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Turkey Shoots?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2009, 03:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Turkey Shoots?

Every once in awhile, when I'm driving in the country, I'll see a sign for a turkey shoot at a Legion Hall or some other civic association. What are they? What rules do they generally follow? What kind of gun do you need, etc.? Anybody had some good experiences with these? Won anything?

My Motto: Vanquish Fear & Panic!
---------------------------------
My blog: GunGator's Gun Blog

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-25-2009, 04:02 AM   #2

Turkey Shoots are plain fun!!
Shotguns are used, 10ga, 12ga, 20ga, etc.
The target will be a drawing of turkey or a turkey head. There will be a target, such as a grey shaded area, inside of the main turkey design...if that makes sense. The object is to get the most pellet holes in the designated target within the main turkey drawing.
There will be several matches, you pay for how many matches you want to be apart of. The cost is minimal per match, the cost gets you a target & one shotgun round. The organizer supplies the ammo & target per match so that all shooters are on the same playing field. There will be a rack for all shotguns that have been entered in the competition to sit in when not in use. If you are not in one of the matches your shotgun has to sit unloaded in the rack and another shooter can use your shotgun in that particular match.

If you have a shotgun go to one next time...you'll have a blast!! pun intended

Old 11-25-2009, 04:21 AM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

At our Turkey shoot here are the rules.

Stock gun choke has to be .680" or bigger and barrel can't be more than 30" and no scopes open sights ok.

.673"

Choke has to be .673" or bigger any barrel length scopes ok.

Super shoot: Run what ya brung choke down to .630" anything else goes. These are different as we run then in the day time and it is a stright $200 entry fee and that gets you 2 shots per round for 10 rounds. Winner of each round goes into a final shoot off winner take 50% of the money. This can get heated and pots can get BIG we are talking $2000 some times.

We shoot 6x6" paper targets with red rings at 1" intervals with a single red dot the size of a #9 shot pellet. You get one shot per target. you can buy as many shots per round as you want. All shooting is done off of a bench (You are standing) at 20 yards.

Simple take out the dot and you win. We shoot Federal #9 target loads. We will have $3 money rounds (50% to house and winer) We will have $5 money rounds same as other. Then we will have $3 meat rounds where the house gets 50% of the take and you get a choice of a ham, chops or something like that. A $5 meat round will get you a nice big ham or chops. Then we have Bacon rounds which are $5 per shot and if you win you get 30% of the money and 10# of the best bacon in the world.

This can be some of the most fun you can have with your cloths on. We have a few ladies show up and most of the time they can clean house.

Old 11-25-2009, 04:34 AM   #4

Tango-

good mention on the chokes...

In my neck of the woods, the turkey shoots don't have any limitations on the chokes. You use any choke you want. Some of us Rednecks take our chokes seriously. We have our chokes custom made.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:26 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Ok. From a city-boy born and raised in Los Angeles..

Used to compete in the NRA with my Dad growing up. The Turkey shoot was of course a turkey target. Dad got 2 shots. I got 2 shots. .22lr.. That was back from 1975-1978..

Gunpowder Addict For 40 Years Now

Old 11-25-2009, 01:23 PM   #6

Liked 100 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 98

Our turkey shoots here are pretty close to tango's. Winner gets to pick what kind of meat they want, turkey, steaks, ham, bacon, etc., out of the freezer - so earliest winners get the best choices.

Pellet hole closest to the center of the + wins.

Old 11-25-2009, 04:53 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
At our Turkey shoot here are the rules. We have a few ladies show up and most of the time they can clean house.
That's just sexist!

Old 11-25-2009, 05:56 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

let me tell you. I went to my first turkey shoot 2 weekends ago, they are very addicting. i went and paid for 2 shots (4 bucks) and after that i went and bought more and last weekend i was up to 5 shots, I think this weekend. I am going to try 10 shots. there are only a few rules. no alcohol, be safe, and have fun. here lately ive been looking forward to Friday nights just for turkey shooting.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:35 PM   #9

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

turkeyshoot.net

If you want to find one near you.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:03 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
Our turkey shoots here are pretty close to tango's. Winner gets to pick what kind of meat they want, turkey, steaks, ham, bacon, etc., out of the freezer - so earliest winners get the best choices.

Pellet hole closest to the center of the + wins.

i dont like that rule. here, there is a specific thing dedicated to each round, and you dont know what that is until after that round when they announce the winner. i think its more interesting not knowing what you are shooting for.

Tags
turkey shoots