Tryin' teach my son; SHTF stuff
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Tryin' teach my son; SHTF stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2011, 12:18 AM   #1
dmp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Tryin' teach my son; SHTF stuff

Today I spent an hour with my son playing "the zombies have attacked!"

We 'patrolled' down the back yard, staggered. We practice hand signals for stop, go left and look, etc. During our patrol I 'spotted a zombie' apple near our firing berm. I dispatched it with two shots of HP 9mm. We moved on to the deer blind where we made camp. We learned how to climb the pole into the blind, to ensure safety of firearms (and the hatchet my son decided was a must-have for a zombie apocalypse). During the night - 3hrs on, 3 off (guard duty) - which lasted about 9 minutes, in 'real time' - zombies approached so I tossed out a can of gas (bottle of water). My son pegged it with the Buckmark which turned into an imagination-fueled wall of fire. We sat up there watching live real deer run below; shared a Chili with Beans and Beef MRE, (his first); then 'cleared the house' moving room to room once we 'found this abandoned homesite' (thank you 57th MP Co, for teaching me room-clearing stuff).

All-in-all It was a very fun couple of hours with my 9 year old. Do any of you have other tips to make learning something he may not realize he's doing?

Last edited by dmp; 11-22-2011 at 09:20 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-22-2011, 12:27 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmp

We 'patrolled' down the back yard, staggered. We practice hand signals for stop, go left and look, etc. During our patrol I 'spotted a zombie' apple near our firing berm. I dispatched it with two shots of HP 9mm. We moved on to the deer blind where we made camp. We learned how to climb the pole into the blind, to ensure safety of firearms (and the hatched my son decided was a must-have for a zombie apocalypse). During the night - 3hrs on, 3 off (guard duty) - which lasted about 9 minutes, in 'real time' - zombies approached so I tossed out a can of gas (bottle of water). My son pegged it with the Buckmark which turned into an imagination-fueled wall of fire. We sat up there watching live real deer run below; shared a Chili with Beans and Beef MRE, (his first); then 'cleared the house' moving room to room once we 'found this abandoned homesite' (thank you 57th MP Co, for teaching me room-clearing stuff).

All-in-all It was a very fun couple of hours with my 9 year old. Do any of you have other tips to make learning something he may not realize he's doing?

My sons getting into all this as well. I gave him my army survival guide and an edible wildplants book. We got him a little backpack and filled it with survival gear. Everytime we go into the bush its glued to him. I was thrilled how much he got into all of it. He's a mighty fine shot on the red rider also. Sure makes a dad happy. He'll be 10 just after the new year.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:29 AM   #3

Liked 128 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Sounds like a very fun day,and you sound like a really cool dad...

Old 11-22-2011, 12:36 AM   #4

Liked 2032 Times on 1118 Posts
Likes Given: 1350

Nothing beter than father and son time...especially when shooting is involved.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:47 AM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2750 Times on 1336 Posts
Likes Given: 1396

dmp,

Now that is fantastic! And you know what is even better? He will remember this time with you when he is thirty and tell the stories over and over even to his grandchildren. "Money can not buy that brother!" Keep up the good work of being a great Dad!!!!!! This does my heart GOOD~ Thanks!

From a professional Grandfather of 7 !

Old 11-22-2011, 05:35 AM   #6
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7815 Times on 4690 Posts
Likes Given: 9843

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmp View Post

shared a Chili with Beans and Beef MRE, (his first); then 'cleared the house' moving room to room once we 'found this abandoned homesite' (thank you 57th MP Co, for teaching me room-clearing stuff).

It sounds like a very fun time and a great learning and prepping experience for you both. You sound like a great Dad.

Though I must say I had a whole different concept of "clearing a room" after eating chili with beans and beef MRE...........if you know what I mean.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:46 AM   #7
dmp

Liked 17 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Thanks guys - I'm not a great dad; I'm a work in progress. After a couple hours, last night while watching Terra Nova, my son said "Dad, I really enjoyed our father-son bonding time!" Made my night.

Still would love ideas on how to morph solid movement and patrol skills to grade-school kids. Lets do it!

Old 11-22-2011, 11:46 AM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3113 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1325

Almost sounds like squirrel hunting time.
And it does not have to involve firearms.

Grab a camera and see how close he can get. Teach him the woods and how the woods can be a friend or foe.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 11-22-2011, 07:44 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

This is great stuff. Good job DMP.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams