Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Tryin' teach my son; SHTF stuff (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/tryin-teach-my-son-shtf-stuff-52217/)

dmp 11-22-2011 12:18 AM

Tryin' teach my son; SHTF stuff

Today I spent an hour with my son playing "the zombies have attacked!"

We 'patrolled' down the back yard, staggered. We practice hand signals for stop, go left and look, etc. During our patrol I 'spotted a zombie' apple near our firing berm. I dispatched it with two shots of HP 9mm. We moved on to the deer blind where we made camp. We learned how to climb the pole into the blind, to ensure safety of firearms (and the hatchet my son decided was a must-have for a zombie apocalypse). During the night - 3hrs on, 3 off (guard duty) - which lasted about 9 minutes, in 'real time' - zombies approached so I tossed out a can of gas (bottle of water). My son pegged it with the Buckmark which turned into an imagination-fueled wall of fire. We sat up there watching live real deer run below; shared a Chili with Beans and Beef MRE, (his first); then 'cleared the house' moving room to room once we 'found this abandoned homesite' (thank you 57th MP Co, for teaching me room-clearing stuff).

All-in-all It was a very fun couple of hours with my 9 year old. Do any of you have other tips to make learning something he may not realize he's doing?

:D

gutz47 11-22-2011 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmp

We 'patrolled' down the back yard, staggered. We practice hand signals for stop, go left and look, etc. During our patrol I 'spotted a zombie' apple near our firing berm. I dispatched it with two shots of HP 9mm. We moved on to the deer blind where we made camp. We learned how to climb the pole into the blind, to ensure safety of firearms (and the hatched my son decided was a must-have for a zombie apocalypse). During the night - 3hrs on, 3 off (guard duty) - which lasted about 9 minutes, in 'real time' - zombies approached so I tossed out a can of gas (bottle of water). My son pegged it with the Buckmark which turned into an imagination-fueled wall of fire. We sat up there watching live real deer run below; shared a Chili with Beans and Beef MRE, (his first); then 'cleared the house' moving room to room once we 'found this abandoned homesite' (thank you 57th MP Co, for teaching me room-clearing stuff).

All-in-all It was a very fun couple of hours with my 9 year old. Do any of you have other tips to make learning something he may not realize he's doing?

My sons getting into all this as well. I gave him my army survival guide and an edible wildplants book. We got him a little backpack and filled it with survival gear. Everytime we go into the bush its glued to him. I was thrilled how much he got into all of it. He's a mighty fine shot on the red rider also. Sure makes a dad happy. He'll be 10 just after the new year.

LONGHAIR 11-22-2011 12:29 AM

Sounds like a very fun day,and you sound like a really cool dad...

Rick1967 11-22-2011 12:36 AM

Nothing beter than father and son time...especially when shooting is involved.

Sniper03 11-22-2011 12:47 AM

dmp,

Now that is fantastic! And you know what is even better? He will remember this time with you when he is thirty and tell the stories over and over even to his grandchildren. "Money can not buy that brother!" Keep up the good work of being a great Dad!!!!!! This does my heart GOOD~ Thanks! :D

From a professional Grandfather of 7 !

winds-of-change 11-22-2011 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmp (Post 633168)

shared a Chili with Beans and Beef MRE, (his first); then 'cleared the house' moving room to room once we 'found this abandoned homesite' (thank you 57th MP Co, for teaching me room-clearing stuff).

It sounds like a very fun time and a great learning and prepping experience for you both. You sound like a great Dad.

Though I must say I had a whole different concept of "clearing a room" after eating chili with beans and beef MRE...........if you know what I mean. ;)

dmp 11-22-2011 10:46 AM

Thanks guys - I'm not a great dad; I'm a work in progress. :) After a couple hours, last night while watching Terra Nova, my son said "Dad, I really enjoyed our father-son bonding time!" :) Made my night.

Still would love ideas on how to morph solid movement and patrol skills to grade-school kids. Lets do it! :)

danf_fl 11-22-2011 11:46 AM

Almost sounds like squirrel hunting time.
And it does not have to involve firearms.

Grab a camera and see how close he can get. Teach him the woods and how the woods can be a friend or foe.

CA357 11-22-2011 07:44 PM

This is great stuff. Good job DMP.