You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Trust, Integrity, and Credibility.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2014, 06:53 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 278 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I'd like to add my request : If you doubt what someone says, please state your opposing view . Make a point-by-point rebuttal if you want . There's no need to make it a personal attack by asking :
1) Were you ever in the military ?

2) How many gunfights have you been in ?

3) What makes you an authority on knife fighting .

...or accusing the person of being a poser, mall ninja or fanboy .
John_Deer Likes This 
Old 03-28-2014, 11:45 AM   #22
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8293 Times on 4265 Posts
Likes Given: 9560

Some people have a really hard time staying truthful or keeping with the facts especially when they arent very exiting. I do my best never to lie or misstate things because the second you get caught doing so, your words become chaff, nobody is ever going top take you serious again. Besides, you dont have to try to remember the truth but for every lie you tell, another piece of grey matter gets tied up with useless details you must remember to keep the lie alive. Then there are folks who actually believe their own lies, they are the toughest to talk to because they actually dont think they are wrong; thats my sister, she's a pro at remembering hings wrong and even providing details to back it up, cant argue with that cause they do believe they are correct!

A forum is not a place you can expect truth to dominate just wish it would. FTF is pretty good at keeping it real most of the time, thats one of the biggest reasons I feel comfortable here. We do have a few members that go for shock value above all and generally are only heard from when they can toss a juicy turd and splatter it on others. Most of the time, I dont even bite cause it just encourages them to persist but occasionally, I cant help myself!

When a person states their opinion, they should understand that opinions are only as good as the next best argument against their opinion. My mind can and does change on opinions but facts cant be changed just understood. Funny, I dont often agree with Manta on allot of things but I do agree that people often overstate things as fact that arent real like you cant own a gun in England or New York, neither is true although it is fact that both are much more restrictive on use and ownership than most of the states in the USA.

I think most of the pissing contests here come from trying to master a form of communications thats both new and old but not something most of us have had any formal training at doing, Blogging! Before it was so easy, only people that dedicated their lives to communicating were doing it, now everyone has the writing bug including me! Posting One sentence, paragraph or half a book at a time as part of a meaningful conversation between a few hundred folks that generally have only their conversations here to reflect on in common isnt as easy as it seems! Im old school and all the slangs, color codes and acronyms are often confusing to me; add to that, we all dont speak the same native languages even! Regional differences from upstate to downstate NY are huge. Our forum has members in all 50 states and 20 other countries, its like a friggin mini UN!

My Drill Sgt in 1980 taught us to worry about reality more than words, his greeting to us was "My heart pumps pure sh!t for my dead grandmother, WTF do you think it pumps for you?". He had lots of those catchy phrases that were intended to test our mental endurance more than our physical properties. I learned that even his evil words had purpose and by the end of 8 weeks of what today might be considered torture, I was nearly immune to them!

In the end, the things that keep me moving on in life without too much carry on baggage are having exceptionally thick skin, ensuring I dont become highly invested in distractions that dont matter that much in my every day life and being able to move quickly across bridges without burning them; you just never know when you may need to walk that path again!
People Like This 
Old 03-28-2014, 12:05 PM   #23

Liked 2225 Times on 1528 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Some people just like to think they're the bees' knees. And they refuse to post credible sources because it demeans them or some rubbish.

Its silly, really.
What is really silly is when you do post credible sources there is a clique of members who say sources such as the NSSF are no good if they prove them wrong. Yet, they will make posts without a source while demanding you provide a source.

You cannot demand sources from others when you refuse to post sources to back up your own quotes.
TLuker Likes This 
Old 03-28-2014, 06:04 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3736 Times on 2289 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Well, I'm gonna go ahead and bow out of this thread before I get myself in trouble.

Axxe, some people can't be reasoned with. Good luck to ya. It was a valiant attempt.
People Like This 
Old 03-28-2014, 10:48 PM   #25
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22401 Times on 12496 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Well, I'm gonna go ahead and bow out of this thread before I get myself in trouble.

Axxe, some people can't be reasoned with. Good luck to ya. It was a valiant attempt.
i completely understand.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:10 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
What is really silly is when you do post credible sources there is a clique of members who say sources such as the NSSF are no good if they prove them wrong. Yet, they will make posts without a source while demanding you provide a source.

You cannot demand sources from others when you refuse to post sources to back up your own quotes.
JD, i have never failed to provide sources, or links to back up my comments if i state them as fact. if i know there aren't any facts, or sources to substantiate my comments, i state that and they are simply my opinions or thoughts on the subject.

you many times take it as a personal attack if someone challenges your comments and asks you for something to back up those comments. you do it to anyone who thinks your comments are a bit outlandish or farfetched.

you are not by any means obligated to provide any proof or facts when you make a post here on the forum, but just don't think that many are going to accept it as fact simply because you said it.

i take the credibility and integrity of this forum very serious and try and provide as factual information as possible for those looking for advice and suggestions. i expect no one to just assume i know what i'm saying is true is the reason i do provide sources or links or someway they can find out what i am saying is truthful information. i know that i have integrity and that many know that what i say is credible, simply because i have already proven it. my character can survive attacks from people such as yourself and suffer no ill effects from such attacks. other members see what transpires, and i will let them draw their own conclusions about such things.

a saying comes to mind, "when you're throwing dirt at me, you're losing ground."

Last edited by Axxe55; 03-30-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Steel_Talon Likes This 
Old 03-28-2014, 11:19 PM   #27

Liked 3971 Times on 2225 Posts
Likes Given: 2622

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i completely understand.
Please also understand this. I'm not being

paid, or working on a doctoral thesis.

Don't get your feelings hurt, folks,

because you cast your expectations

upon me, and I refused to co-operate.

My wife doesn't even tell me what to do, if

it's any comfort, JW.
People Like This 
Old 03-30-2014, 02:41 AM   #28

i truly think integrity and honesty are signs of a person's character. some people just don't possess such qualities and some just think they are important enough to have in the first place. much of this comes from the way a person was brought up and the values instilled growing up.

i feel it's better to tell someone the truth, knowing it may hurt their feelings, than to lie to them to just make them feel better. i can be rather blunt and even somewhat abrasive, and many times tend to be very sarcastic. being around my father for so many years, this more or less rubbed off on me over time. my father is the type of person who has little tolerance of stupidity and foolishness. from my father i learned to speak my mind and to make my intentions clear. beating around the bush, many times confuses the issue and things can get very unclear in a hurry.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:32 AM   #29

Liked 650 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Nice thread Axxe,

That's how I ran my business for 22 years trust,integrity,and credibility.
People Like This 
Old 03-30-2014, 06:10 AM   #30
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 7366 Times on 3815 Posts
Likes Given: 32253

I , President Obamanation do so swear...........
Axxe55 Likes This