Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   true or false.... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/true-false-90859/)

bobski 05-18-2013 01:50 AM

true or false....

i gotta bet going...

t/f: if your engine is already smoking, its too late for stp.

dango 05-18-2013 01:53 AM

If it's something like valve guide , might not be to late..?

Is it smoking on excelloration or deceleration..? One would be bottom end and other would be top end , both would be (run it till it dies)..!

MisterMcCool 05-18-2013 01:56 AM

Is it too late for nicorette? :)

towboater 05-18-2013 02:14 AM

I'd guess that STP ain't gonna do any good.

303tom 05-18-2013 04:49 AM

You don`t put a Band-Aid on a broken leg................

chuckusaret 05-18-2013 05:35 AM

My son drove his 2004 work truck for four years on average of about 150 miles per day with a engine knock and smoke. This was after a master mechanic stated the rear main crank bearing and valve guides were bad. The engine finally died with about 400K miles on it. The truck lives on with a Jasper engine.

DrumJunkie 05-18-2013 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 303tom (Post 1250428)
You don`t put a Band-Aid on a broken leg................

I really see that stuff in a bottle as maybe buying some time and even then I've not had too much luck with results with stuff like Motor Honey/Motor Medic type stuff. I think it also it might cause troubles getting the stuff back out once you do go to really fix the problem.

I'd much rather to just fix the motor to start with. The longer stuff like that is allowed to go on the more expensive it gets on you.

Back in my teen POS car years I did try many of those things. trying to squeeze a little more out of an engine that needed some TLC. I tended ot replace cars much more often then also.

I ask a lot of my vehicles so I try to keep up on everything to start with. Fixing something not so big early is a lot less expensive then if I wait and try to use some quick fix. I pretty much drive the wheels off a vehicle as I am not in th best place to replace one if something bad happens. My 9 Jeep is well over 200K miles and still runs like new (almost) because I wont allow smaller problems to get bigger. My 130K 98 Explorer does run like new for the same reason.

hairbear1 05-18-2013 08:20 AM

If it's smoking then it's a fair bet it's on it's last legs.
If it's blue smoke then it's either rings, valve stem oil seals or worn valve guides.
What sort of oil consumption is it doing?

If it's black smoke then your fuel system as in carby or fuel injection system needs attention.

Pulling the spark plugs will soon tell you what cylinders are causing grief.

deadsp0t 05-18-2013 08:22 AM

I wouldn't put STP anything in my engine.. Nothing but bad exp.. User beware..

hairbear1 05-18-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadsp0t (Post 1250505)
I wouldn't put STP anything in my engine.. Nothing but bad exp.. User beware..

When I was a mechanic I used to put STP around the camshaft lobes, cam bearings, mains and big end bearings and in the oil pump of any new engine I rebuilt because the stuff was so sticky that it'd protect them from the initial fire up and the tight clearances that are there.

I'd take the car out and run it in initially and then tell the customer to drive it and vary the speed and not to lug the engine.

I'd tell the customer to come back after a week and then I'd drop the oil and oil filter and tell them to go drive the car like you stole it only way to run an engine in nothing worse than pampering a new engine it just kills them as the rings won't seat out the cylinder walls properly and may glaze the bores.