True Confessions - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > True Confessions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 562 Times on 371 Posts

Im a natural pessimist anyways but i had a few opportunities i passed on and i married and had my daughter at 25. I was too young and now i am paying the price

Old 11-15-2012, 02:49 PM   #32

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

My deepest regret is not being a better friend to someone in particular.

He would have given the shirt off his back, if it would have fit me.

He took my guard duty on my birthday, September 23, 2005, as a birthday present (that's all he had to give. Not like we had a mall). My post was hit with a mortar and he didn't stand a chance.

This is why I hate my birthday. I don't celebrate it, but no one seems to understand.

I put him in the body bag. And then when I got home, I told his wife the whole story of why he was on duty that day instead of me.

I never treated him as a real friend should. He was immature and childish. Semi illiterate because of a severe learning disability (dyslexic in the extreme). And when people picked on him because of this, I only rarely stood up for him. I should have had his back every single time. But instead, I usually turned a blind eye, except for when it just went overboard and looked like it was going to turn to physical bullying.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #33

Liked 562 Times on 371 Posts

I just teared up a little when i read that. Thank you to you and your friend (may he rest in peace) for serving and defending our freedoms.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:13 PM   #34
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7824 Times on 4697 Posts
Likes Given: 9855

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post

He took my guard duty on my birthday, September 23, 2005, as a birthday present (that's all he had to give. Not like we had a mall). My post was hit with a mortar and he didn't stand a chance.

This is why I hate my birthday. I don't celebrate it, but no one seems to understand.

I put him in the body bag. And then when I got home, I told his wife the whole story of why he was on duty that day instead of me.

I never treated him as a real friend should. He was immature and childish. Semi illiterate because of a severe learning disability (dyslexic in the extreme). And when people picked on him because of this, I only rarely stood up for him. I should have had his back every single time. But instead, I usually turned a blind eye, except for when it just went overboard and looked like it was going to turn to physical bullying.
I cried reading this, too.

Trip, that's a very large burden to carry. You're friend died a hero.......to his country and to you.

Literally, you owe him your life. Live the rest of your life acting towards others as you know you should and you will have paid him back. You can still make it up to him by defending others as you should/would have defended him.

The lesson here is, some of us may look different, talk different and have imperfections but in the long run, as human beings, we all want to have friends, be loved and respected and feel we are valued by others. As human beings, we owe that to each other.

There is a member here on FTF who admitted to not knowing how to read or write very well, if at all, when he joined the military. His military friends helped him along and here he is posting on FTF. You wouldn't know who he was unless he told you. We can make a positive difference in other people's lives if we just take the time.
People Like This 
Old 11-15-2012, 05:15 PM   #35

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

Semper fi fallen brother. It happens walt.....but i can guarantee yiu the few tines you stood up for him made him feel better and like you alot more. It also made your friendship stronger.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #36

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:

Don't fret...maybe you could have been more supportative of him. But I'm sure even the little kindness you did show was huge in his mind.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:54 AM   #37
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:

Dang it, there's something in my eye.

Trip your right, there are very few people who can understand that, because there are very few people who have lived through it. All you can do is live the best life you can, and give your son the best life possible.
We all make mistakes that we wish we could correct, but the fact of life is that we can't. You may have not stood up for him every time, but you did stand up for him, and that probably meant a lot to him. I seriously doubt he'd want you to regret not helping him for the rest of your life.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 11-16-2012 at 01:00 AM.