Trucker etiquette - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Trucker etiquette

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2013, 05:44 PM   #51
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1577 Times on 964 Posts
Likes Given: 8154

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
If there is a scale less than 10 miles from the stopped truck, it might be overweight and waiting for the scales to close. If not dodging scales, it may just be he got too tired to drive and decided to save lives by pulling over. It's not always a bad thing, just life happening.
Another reason for parking on the ramps is that most of the truck stops are getting pretty full by 2200 hours. I am not a trucker, but most of the men in my family are or were, and I have traveled many miles in semis. I also am the "You have a truck and trailer. Can you help me move?" person in my family. On more than one cross state move, I have had to park among the rigs due to not being able to park my F-150 and a 20 foot trailer in the 4-wheeler lot. This gets hard around 1900 hours, and pushes impossible past 2300 hours. Most driver's have maxed out their daily hours by this time.

Under federal law, a truck driver is limited to a certain number of hours they can drive per day. I don't remember the exact amount, but I do know that they have to be stopped for a minimum of 10 hours a day. Off the road and logged out for this required rest period. It is a federal law that really is good for the safety of the public. Before it was put on the books, there were far more accidents in which driver fatigue was a factor.

Driving that 2 extra miles can sometimes lead to driving an extra hour to find somewhere to stop for the night. Sometimes it is just safer and smarter to park where you are. I had to do this a couple times last spring while moving my BIL back to NY from Cali. It was safer to park where we can find room instead of driving through the Rockies at night in early March with a 22 foot RV and a 16 foot trailer. Sometimes the unsafe choice is actually the safer of the two choices.

My tip to you Winds is to pick up a CB and install it in your car. Even if you never talk on it, just listening in can pay off. You will learn where the speed traps are miles before you get to them, and some of the conversations you will hear on channel 19 can be hilarious. On the other side of things, in most cases you will know the local area better than someone not from the area. More than once, I have helped out a driver on their first run in my area, mainly by being able to help them find a street or plant where they have a drop off or a pick up. Sometimes by directing them to a truck stop or parking area. Other times, having the CB has helped me out of a jam as well. It is a worthwhile investment.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 08-22-2013, 05:44 PM   #52
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7103 Times on 4275 Posts
Likes Given: 8611

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
They spend weeks at a time on the road. And while they do have radios, human beings are herd animals by nature. They will talk. Forever.
Heck, I think I could talk their ear off. And I'm with people almost every day. I can talk to anyone...........and often do.

Quote:
There are reasons for civilian cars to speed, and it's not up to other drivers to judge - you can't yet vote someone off of the freeway.
That's what I told my kids when they were learning to drive. Their father is a very rude driver, thinking all the other drivers should do what he thinks they should do. I always told my kids that if someone in front of you is driving slow, do not harass them, simply pass them. I told them that driver is driving the way he/she is comfortable and you should NOT flash your lights or honk at them. My ex is a downright dangerous driver and I still, to this day, get nervous when my kids ride in his car. More so when they were very young. But my kids don't like the way he drives, either, so if they go anywhere together, usually one of the kids drives.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #53
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

I just want a designated driver so I can look for twins and lower flashes

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

People Like This 
Old 08-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #54

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

The maximum hours was can drive at a time is 11 hours. Once we reach that limit a 10 hour break is mandatory. We can also work a total of 14 hours aday. The 11 hour clock counts towards the 14 hour clock. In other words, in one day Im allowed to log 11 hours of driving and an additional 3 hours of "on duty, not driving".

Securing loads, pre trip and post trip inspections of trucks and trailers are examples of on duty not driving time. Also any time a DOT officer is conducting an inspection of the rig, its trailer or load we have to remain on duty during that time.

Also, there is a limit on the hours we can work in a week. Its 60 hours for my company and 70 for other companies. Hit that limit and we have to stay off duty and off the road for 34 hours.

Of course the HOS (hours of service) laws dont apply to our personal vehicles.

I used to be able to climb in the truck, close the door and not stop for 11 hours but I doubt I could do it now since the most I drive at a time now is 3 hours before I stop to pickup or dump/deliver a load. It takes some time to build up your stamina to go 11 hours. It took me about 4 months to get to that point.

I will say driving a car/pickup/suv is not the same as driving a big rig. I find a big truck to be far more comfortable than a civilian vehicle. They are built for it tho.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Last edited by dragunovsks; 08-22-2013 at 07:24 PM.
People Like This 
Old 08-22-2013, 07:33 PM   #55

Liked 257 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 185

They are making changes to the laws next year concerning driving hours on and off duty. I'm not sure on the particulars of the changes but all of my customers say it will make things more dangerous out there. It's getting to where a driver will have to drive whether he is fatigued or not, just so he doesn't have to do a restart.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:45 AM   #56

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin556 View Post
They are making changes to the laws next year concerning driving hours on and off duty. I'm not sure on the particulars of the changes but all of my customers say it will make things more dangerous out there. It's getting to where a driver will have to drive whether he is fatigued or not, just so he doesn't have to do a restart.
That doesnt surprise me cause they are always changing something.

A new rule they just enacted says that drivers must take and log a 30 minute break per day. We were told it doesnt apply to us being we are primarily a day cab and dumptruck company.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 08-23-2013, 02:35 AM   #57
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 952 Times on 568 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
That doesnt surprise me cause they are always changing something.

A new rule they just enacted says that drivers must take and log a 30 minute break per day. We were told it doesnt apply to us being we are primarily a day cab and dumptruck company.
We were told the same thing for our city pickup and delivery operations, but the new company policy to comply with this short lived rule will be enforced even though it is no longer law.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:22 AM   #58
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1324 Times on 693 Posts
Likes Given: 607

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
That's what I told my kids when they were learning to drive. Their father is a very rude driver, thinking all the other drivers should do what he thinks they should do. I always told my kids that if someone in front of you is driving slow, do not harass them, simply pass them. I told them that driver is driving the way he/she is comfortable and you should NOT flash your lights or honk at them. My ex is a downright dangerous driver and I still, to this day, get nervous when my kids ride in his car. More so when they were very young. But my kids don't like the way he drives, either, so if they go anywhere together, usually one of the kids drives.
I use the German/Autobahn signal of a quick double-flash when approaching a slower-moving vehicle in the Fast Lane, and only the Fast Lane. I only do that one time as sometimes people think multiple attempts to communicate are "Road Rage." Yes, they call 911. Yes, police and State Troopers will pull you over for it. Yes, I speak from experience! Some people misunderstand and speed up, others want to pass "one more car" before moving over. A few get it and hit the signal immediately. I don't take any of it personally - I do like you taught your kids and just move around and keep going. It's amazing how many are like your ex- and take it all personally. To me it's all matter of fact: Use car, get from A to B alive. Anything more emotional than that I just don't have time for in my life!

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #59
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 677 Times on 317 Posts
Likes Given: 394

Quote:
….I use the German/Autobahn signal of a quick double-flash when approaching a slower-moving vehicle in the Fast Lane, and only the Fast Lane. I only do that one time as sometimes people think multiple attempts to communicate are "Road Rage.” ….. To me it's all matter of fact: Use car, get from A to B alive. Anything more emotional than that I just don't have time for in my life!

I learned my lesson some years back on the Atlanta raceway called I-285.
Nominal speed in the #1 lane at that time was 75-85. At the time I drove a Toyota
Supra so I could run out there. One morning I came up behind a car doing 'only'
70 or so, so I flashed my high beams. His brake lights came on and he came to a complete
stop in the fast lane, with me skidding to a stop behind him. Traffic behind was all darting
over to the #2 lane while we just sat there. After a few seconds I caught a break and
merged into the middle lane and got back up to speed. Then here he came, right up on my bumper,
flashing his lights. I move over, he pulls by, cuts in front of me, brushing my front bumper in the
process. By now I'm down to 30 mph or so. Then he sticks his foot in it and is gone.

He showed me! I never flashed my lights again.

Of course these days I drive a 10 year old Tahoe that has seen 80mph probably five times in its life.
Last time I was in Atlanta I drove in the #3 lane, slowing down for merging traffic.
I figured with my ‘old man' ears and Mississippi license plate no one expected any more!

ellis

Old 08-24-2013, 01:37 AM   #60

Liked 742 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJG67 View Post
I just want a designated driver so I can look for twins and lower flashes
Whats a lower flash...?

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......