Trucker etiquette - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Trucker etiquette

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2013, 12:18 AM   #21
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Quote:
Originally Posted by readygirl

I didnt know there was a low beam "flash", and a high beam "flash".......lol. Which do truckers prefer....?
Low beam flashes tend to cause crashes

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

Old 08-22-2013, 12:22 AM   #22
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2869 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

Quote:
Originally Posted by readygirl View Post
I didnt know there was a low beam "flash", and a high beam "flash".......lol. Which do truckers prefer....?
The last time I flashed somebody...........

I ended up marrying her.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

People Like This 
Old 08-22-2013, 12:51 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 969 Times on 640 Posts
Likes Given: 1252

Quote:
Originally Posted by readygirl View Post
The HIGH to LOW back to HIGH rapid flash.. --> *.*

It means move to the right and ready yourself. I'm going to show you the TWINS as I pass by. You gorgeous hunk of Noble road Knight...

Become steel or get cut.
People Like This 
Old 08-22-2013, 01:27 AM   #24

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

As a trucker I can share some tips that we appreciate.

1. Give us room on the road. Pass us if you're going to pass, dont hover directly behind or around us. If I blow a tire and it hits you it can knock your head off not to mention do some serious damage to your car and guess who's insurance covers that? Not mine. Also give us room to stop. Cant tell you how many times a day I have someone jump in front of me as Im bringing my truck to a stop, cutting my stopping distance in half.

2. Dont try to block me from changing lanes after I signal an intended lane change. A couple times a week I have some idiot who only attempts to pass me after I switch on my turn signal. This is a prick move and will be answered by another prick move on my part. In other words, I move you. We dont expect four wheelers to vanish when we signal but purposefully trying to block us isnt wise.

3. Dont get in front of us on the interstate then slow down.

4. Understand that a lot of companies run governed trucks. They are set to not excede a certain speed which varies company to company. Our trucks at work are governed at 70 mph. They wont go any faster on a flat grade, no matter how hard I push the throttle. Gravity will allow us to go faster downhill but thats it, as soon as we hit the flat ground again the computer cuts it back to the set speed.

5. We make wide turns, its part of it. Please dont try to pass us on the right if we have signaled a right hand turn and are slowing at an intersection. Furthermore if Im hogging two lanes at an intersection and Ive signaled right that means Im doing it to keep you from passing on the right.

6. Please stop before the stop line at intetsections. If you stop way past the line and Im making a wide right turn, you will have to move.

7. Dont forget we can see everything youre doing in the car. That includes you playing with your phone, opening that beer between your legs or playin with other things, yes, you know what.

8. For the love of god, if there are signs telling you there is construction in 1500 feet, get out of that lane. Theres nothing more annoying than car after car waiting to the last second to vacate the closing lane. If the construction workers are diving for cover, you shouldve merged A LOOOOONG time ago.

9. Use your turn signals, we arent mind readers.

10. We are longer, heavier, wider and taller than you, that being said if the on/off ramp speed limit is 30, Im doin 20. This isnt because Im tryin to be a prick. Its because I dont want to be painted side down in the ditch on fire. Im just tryin to keep the tires on the ground. No reason to blow the horn and flip me the bird when you pass. Yes, its happened to me more than once.

11. Merging is much easier on your part if you do it at the posted interstate speed. Dont come up the ramp at half the posted speed expecting 80,000 lbs truck to slow down to let you merge. I can assure you its not gonna happen.

12. Our blindspots are huge. Believe it or not, directly in front of a big rig is a blindspot that can hide a full size pickup. Its directly in front of the bumper, below the hoodline. This of course varies depending on the truck. A longnose Pete 379 has a bigger blindspot in front than a short round nose Sterling. The biggest blindspot is on the right side of the rig, us truckers call that the "blindside" or the "suicide side". I dont think I need to explain why.

12. If there's a brokendown truck or car on the shoulder ahead we will change lanes to give the broken down driver room. Last thing we want to do is go screamin by and cause some guy changing a tire to be sucked under the trailer tandems. Believe it or not, it has happened.

Remember we are just men and women at work, tryin to earn an honest living and get home to see the family. Some of us get home every night (like me) and others dont get home but every month or longer. We just ask that you use common sense.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

People Like This 
Old 08-22-2013, 01:40 AM   #25

Liked 625 Times on 372 Posts
Likes Given: 1656

I spent the first 14 summers of my life on a truck, and I can tell you, when the CB is concerned there is no "etiquette".

We need to think of a handle for you WOC...hmm

Last edited by kryptar19; 08-22-2013 at 05:30 AM.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:43 AM   #26

Liked 117 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I don't drive a truck but I do work on them. Sometimes on the side of the road. All I have to say on this is if you see a truck pulled over on the side of the road move to the left lane when you pass them. That goes for you truck drivers as well.

Last October while I was working on a truck on the side of the road another truck knocked the driver side mirror off of the truck I was working on. If he had been a few more inches to the right I would be dead right now.

Don’t go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. –Mark Twain

People Like This 
Old 08-22-2013, 04:01 AM   #27
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbomar4 View Post
I don't drive a truck but I do work on them. Sometimes on the side of the road. All I have to say on this is if you see a truck pulled over on the side of the road move to the left lane when you pass them. That goes for you truck drivers as well.

Last October while I was working on a truck on the side of the road another truck knocked the driver side mirror off of the truck I was working on. If he had been a few more inches to the right I would be dead right now.
i have worked in several shops where i had to do roadside repairs to trucks. i have more than a few grey hairs from doing it! doing repairs at night were the worst. i have had my own share of near misses from drivers not giving enough room and moving over. glad to not having to that type of work anymore.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:31 AM   #28
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7091 Times on 4268 Posts
Likes Given: 8599

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
The last time I flashed somebody...........

I ended up marrying her.
Okay, I'll be careful about who I flash. Thanks for the warning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptar19 View Post
I spent the first 14 summers of my life on a truck, and I can tell you, when the CB is concerned there is no "etiquette".

We need to think of a handle for you WOC...hmm
"The Goddess" will do. Or maybe just Winds.

I always move to the left lane when I see any activity on the right shoulder........a cop with a pull over, a stalled car, truck, etc. And I reduce my speed.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:51 AM   #29

Liked 625 Times on 372 Posts
Likes Given: 1656

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

Okay, I'll be careful about who I flash. Thanks for the warning.

"The Goddess" will do. Or maybe just Winds.

I always move to the left lane when I see any activity on the right shoulder........a cop with a pull over, a stalled car, truck, etc. And I reduce my speed.
Good call on both.

I was thinking maybe Matron Mother...or maybe just Matron.

Help us out guys!!
Old 08-22-2013, 07:37 AM   #30
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1319 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 607

What I see on the roads absolutely amazes me. An average car weighs 3,400 lbs. a loaded truck can weigh 80,000 lbs, and some special loads can go over 100,000 lbs. Fifty TONS! Yet cars dart and dash around them, blocking the trucks turns and ability to maneuver. Even with a truck left turning at an intersection, some car drivers are not at the Limit Line, but are hanging over the line by a full car length! When turning 54' of truck, every INCH is necessary and sloppy driving literally leaves the truck unable to turn and waiting through another light change. Limit lines are drawn for a reason to clearly define intersections and make them work - they are not a rough guess or a suggestion. You're not supposed to sit a car length back from them nor are you supposed to straddle the line between your axles. Front bumper AT or ON the line. No, the front of the hood on the line does not work.

The worst has to be the jump in front of the truck and slamming on the brakes. For those not familiar with physics, Mass in Motion equations show that FIFTY TONS moving 60 mph can NOT stop as fast as your little Kia. If there isn't a couple of football fields in front of a truck, DON'T jump in front of him! He's hauling a huge load at dangerous speeds - give him a break!

And just for those unclear on rules of the road, a car coming up an on-ramp does NOT have right-of-way. No, it doesn't matter that the lane is ending. No, it doesn't matter that your bumper is in front of his. A vehicle established as travelling in a lane has a RIGHT to maintain that lane. No, they have no duty to let you on the highway. The merging vehicle has to use gas and/or brake to match traffic and safely insert themself where room permits. So the truck driver that moves to the middle lane is surrendering his RIGHT-OF-WAY to make things easy on you. Do him the same favor by either slowing to get behind the truck or race in front to get out of his blind side.

We're all adults and control of a two-ton vehicle should be taken with responsibility. Truck drivers have a vastly more dangerous job and do it every day for millions of miles. It's time to give them the courtesy they deserve and show that we can control our vehicles like adults.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

People Like This