Trucker etiquette - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Trucker etiquette

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn-cindy
"RELEASE THE TWINS".....What does that mean..? I see it written in the dirt on the back of alot of semi trailers.
Well Cindy. Lets just say you have twins and the truckers would like to see them.
People Like This 
Old 08-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 358 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl
Careful in Florida with flashing headlights.

They recently passed a law making it illegal to flash lights to warn others of a speed trap, and flashing headlights could be contrued as warnings.

(Yes, the car headlights)
That to me is insanity. Soon it's going to be illegal to talk with out a license.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 08-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido

That to me is insanity. Soon it's going to be illegal to talk with out a license.
Ham Radio.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:01 PM   #14

Liked 1148 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 2039

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJG67 View Post
Well Cindy. Lets just say you have twins and the truckers would like to see them.
And these aint your average kids they wanna see

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
People Like This 
Old 08-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #15
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1359 Times on 803 Posts
Likes Given: 1

One of my biggest complaints with cars, if I move over to let you on the interstate either pass me when you get up to speed or let me back over in front of you. Our tractors are governed at 62 mph so I am holding up traffic in the middle or left lane.

By the way Winds, thanks for actually caring enough to ask.
People Like This 
Old 08-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #16

Liked 510 Times on 275 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I used to have my own transport business and drove a Freightliner Argosy with a 500HP Detroit towing a 45' triaxle Tautliner and some of the things people tried to do in and around trucks defies belief.

Some of the simple rules are don't cut a truck off at lights by cutting into the lane in front of them as they don't pull up like a F1 car and also can't accelerate like 1.

When you are overtaking put the foot down and go like you had a guided missile chasing you and then when you get in front smoothly come back into your lane and DON'T cut straight across the front of the truck and then slow down.

When a truck is in the right or left lane turning right or left DON'T come up the inside of the truck as there generally is a huge blind spot as the prime mover comes around and car drivers generally have no idea that the turning circle of a 45' trailer is totally different to what the prime mover has and end up with a set of tri axles over their bonnet and guards.

DON'T ever park right up behind a trailer because the driver can't see you although a lot of trucks now have reversing cameras it still isn't smart and whatever you do DO NOT try and cut in behind a reversing trailer, you'd be surprised how many idiots try this brain fart because they can't be bothered to wait for a minute.

Another pet peeve of mine used to be when I'd park out in the middle of a car park or yard and some clown like a lost sheep would park right next to the truck while you were either trying to roll up the tarp or getting ready to unload and they'd just park next to you and always in the way.

On dual or triple lanes DON'T sit next to a semi for miles on end and then when you see a slower vehicle in the same lane as the semi stay with the semi until he has no room to go around the slower vehicle and THEN accelerate away leaving the driver with a truck that has lost it's revs and then he'll need a few more miles to get back up to cruise speed.

Almost similarly DON'T sit in front of a truck and slow down for hills and then half way up put the foot down and disappear and then do the same thing again at the next hill or worse still as the truck overtakes you, you then put the foot down and speed away.

If you have a UHF or CB radio in your car etc call up the truck and ask if it's ok to overtake and then do so and after thank him, remember most truck drivers are also car drivers and have a family to go home to as well and courtesy is a disappearing art these days.

If you see something about to fall off or something mechanical going wrong in the truck call up the driver and let him know he/she will appreciate the call and you could possibly help in stopping an accident or a very costly repair.

Basically just remember that he bloke behind the wheel is steering (in Australia anyway) anything up to 100 tonnes(road train 3-4 trailers hooked up) of freight and truck and his job is hard enough as it is with out some drop kick making his/her day worse.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:55 PM   #17

Liked 9209 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Yeah, I'm thinking two trailers in the US is the max except under certain circumstances. I've NEVER seen more than two on one truck.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:04 PM   #18

Liked 744 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJG67 View Post
Old 08-21-2013, 11:19 PM   #19

Liked 430 Times on 277 Posts
Likes Given: 1582

Actually the flashing yo let them know they have room is supposed to be the low beams not the high beams.

Flashing Low Beams means you are giving a permission ( go ahead you're clear etc), flashing high beams means a warning ( "watch for cops", or "watch I am in your way" or even "outta my way").

but most dont know this international driving etiquette so a lot of folks use high beam flash to give permissions since its easier to use than the low beams and mos tin this country dont know better.

I make a point of doing it correctly 100% of the time and I get the (low beam) thank you flashes back form truckers.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

EVERY DAY MEN WHO WILL FOLLOW ORDERS TO KILL YOU, EXERCISE. DO YOU?

Old 08-21-2013, 11:57 PM   #20

Liked 744 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez View Post
Actually the flashing yo let them know they have room is supposed to be the low beams not the high beams.

Flashing Low Beams means you are giving a permission ( go ahead you're clear etc), flashing high beams means a warning ( "watch for cops", or "watch I am in your way" or even "outta my way").

but most dont know this international driving etiquette so a lot of folks use high beam flash to give permissions since its easier to use than the low beams and mos tin this country dont know better.

I make a point of doing it correctly 100% of the time and I get the (low beam) thank you flashes back form truckers.
I didnt know there was a low beam "flash", and a high beam "flash".......lol. Which do truckers prefer....?