Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Trucker etiquette (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/trucker-etiquette-95814/)

winds-of-change 08-21-2013 05:45 PM

Trucker etiquette

I work in a town that has a rather large truck stop so I encounter semis quite often. I want to be a polite and courteous driver to these truckers. Is there any suggestions, rules, tips, hints, little secrets I should know when driving around big semis? I know to stay out of their blind spot but that's about it. What else do I need to know to keep them and myself safe?

therewolf 08-21-2013 05:53 PM

Yeah, let a semi into traffic, once in a while.

Allow them to change into your lane, instead

of whooshing by like you're driving in the Indy 500.

NOT "scooting by" behind them, when they're backing

up.

NOT cruising in the next lane, matching their speed,

for hours on end. Either PASS or back off.

Don't jam on your brakes in front of them, while

making the inane assumption they have the

stopping power of a Honda.

I'm sure I missed a few...

jebsca 08-21-2013 06:09 PM

Try not to get in a hurry around them. They are 80,000 lbs. This takes time to get moving, as well as time to slow down. If they are going slower than you, and you are getting ready to turn, don't pass them jus t to slow down for the turn. That same blind spot that you have in you car is MUCH bigger in a truck. Look out for turn signals. If it looks like you can sqweeze in on the right and they have a signal for a right turn, you car will get crushed before they find out you are setting in a blind spot. Give them room. Don't get too mad when they go slow. I know some companies go slower, but we are suposted to drive 5mph below the posted speed limit, and 65 is it. In short, take your time around them. A shortcut with them is a good way to take a quick trip to the ER. And I do like the not driving beside them.

kaido 08-21-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by therewolf
Yeah, let a semi into traffic, once in a while.

Allow them to change into your lane, instead

of whooshing by like you're driving in the Indy 500.

NOT "scooting by" behind them, when they're backing

up.

NOT cruising in the next lane, matching their speed,

for hours on end. Either PASS or back off.

Don't jam on your brakes in front of them, while

making the inane assumption they have the

stopping power of a Honda.

I'm sure I missed a few...

One that you missed that I picked up while doing long hauls with my dad, if their trying to turn into your lane, when their trailer is clear of your car, give you lights two quick flashes.

Normally their give a "thanks you" by flashing their trailer lights back. Not sure how common it is where you are though.....I seen it lots in Ontario and on the Trans Canada.

DFlynt 08-21-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaido (Post 1342189)
One that you missed that I picked up while doing long hauls with my dad, if their trying to turn into your lane, when their trailer is clear of your car, give you lights two quick flashes.

Normally their give a "thanks you" by flashing their trailer lights back. Not sure how common it is where you are though.....I seen it lots in Ontario and on
the Trans Canada.

Tends to work the same way here in the U.S.

kaido 08-21-2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DFlynt

Tends to work the same way here in the U.S.

I was thinking so, but it seems if something makes sense, it isn't normally the case. Haha

danf_fl 08-21-2013 06:26 PM

I am a believer in using the indicators to indicate where I am going (corners, lane changes) before my maneuver.

This also informs the other drivers of my intentions (well, my intentions when on the road).

winds-of-change 08-21-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaido (Post 1342189)

Normally their give a "thanks you" by flashing their trailer lights back. Not sure how common it is where you are though.....I seen it lots in Ontario and on the Trans Canada.

This is the kind of insider information I'm looking for. I am very respectful of truckers and motorcyclists when I'm on the road. I don't crowd them.

danf_fl 08-21-2013 07:39 PM

Careful in Florida with flashing headlights.

They recently passed a law making it illegal to flash lights to warn others of a speed trap, and flashing headlights could be contrued as warnings.

(Yes, the car headlights)

rn-cindy 08-21-2013 07:39 PM

"RELEASE THE TWINS".....What does that mean..? I see it written in the dirt on the back of alot of semi trailers.