Truck Help

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Truck Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Default Truck Help

I figured I'd ask you all about this see if anyone has any idea's,

I have a F250 88 yr runnin a 461 under the hood, and the darn thing doesn't like to idle no matter what we do to it and when it wants to idle and run she wants to die when I go to put her in reverse, regular drive seems to go right most of the time.

Taking it to a mechanic isn't an option, to broke and don't trust them.

So any ideas?

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #2

Liked 367 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebear View Post
I figured I'd ask you all about this see if anyone has any idea's,

I have a F250 88 yr runnin a 461 under the hood, and the darn thing doesn't like to idle no matter what we do to it and when it wants to idle and run she wants to die when I go to put her in reverse, regular drive seems to go right most of the time.

Taking it to a mechanic isn't an option, to broke and don't trust them.

So any ideas?
I'm assuming carburation so going on that have you taken the carby off and pulled it apart and blown the jets and idle circuits out with compressed air?

Have you checked the needle and seat for sticking or correct height adjustment of the float level and have you adjusted the air fuel mixture and idle speed especially crucial if it's an auto as most are adjusted by putting the auto into drive and adjusting the idle speed on the carby so that it's about 650 rpm in drive?

Have you replaced or checked any fuel filters for blockages

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

Old 10-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #3

Liked 926 Times on 516 Posts
Likes Given: 1428

If it drives ok, just wont idle...i would suspect a vacuum leak, or throttle position sensor. If it wont idle, or run, clogged cat converter, or fuel filter.

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

Old 10-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1685 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1272

De-ja-poo. I think I posted on this in here once before but here goes again. I am ass-u-me-ing it is EFI. If that is the case then I would start with what Ford calls the idle control valve. They were the usual culprit when having idle problems on the early and some of the later Ford EFI's.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:47 PM   #5

It's an automatic tranny and fuel injected, the problem is she doesn't want to run to well I have to keep reving her when I stop at stop signs and that's when she does want to run. I'll have to check this EFI, when she does run she drives real smooth got to 80 with out realizing it one day. On top of this I also have a a bad seal on the exhaust manifold and it's baking my spark plus wire on the left side of the block.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 10-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #6

Liked 367 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebear View Post
It's an automatic tranny and fuel injected, the problem is she doesn't want to run to well I have to keep reving her when I stop at stop signs and that's when she does want to run. I'll have to check this EFI, when she does run she drives real smooth got to 80 with out realizing it one day. On top of this I also have a a bad seal on the exhaust manifold and it's baking my spark plus wire on the left side of the block.
That exhaust leak could be most of your problems.I'd also see about getting your plug wires checked that are getting baked.

A vacuum leak could also be a problem so check your vacuum hoses for cracks.

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

Old 10-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #7

I've got some new gaskets for the exhaust also some high temp wire insulation sitting in my tool box, I'm also waiting for payday so I can get anything else I might need. I figured it was just something to do with not enough fuel getting to the engine because I have to keep revving it and it doesn't want to idle. But I'll be able to check this when I get home right now I'm still at work on a break.

Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it I'll let you know what I find out.

BE PREPARED

Old 10-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1832 Times on 1307 Posts
Likes Given: 2070

Default Are you kidding..............

Did you check the fuel cap, my wifes car went berserk because the cap wasn't seated right, and caused problems with the fuel pump...............

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 10-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #9

Liked 218 Times on 143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockratt
De-ja-poo. I think I posted on this in here once before but here goes again. I am ass-u-me-ing it is EFI. If that is the case then I would start with what Ford calls the idle control valve. They were the usual culprit when having idle problems on the early and some of the later Ford EFI's.
I second this. I had the same issue was able to clean the gummed up valve and its been running great for over a year now. Google "Cleaning Ford IAC valve".

It's on the side of the throttle body. Takes about 15 min. to clean.

Just for info mine is a '95 EFI

Old 10-02-2013, 08:47 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 396 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 588

I had similar trouble with my 86 only it was with a 302 but it still had the same EEC4 computer and EFI system. +1 on hosing the IAC with carb cleaner or just replace it all together. It's a super cheap part.
+1 on checking vacuum lines and fittings and plugs.
Add a can of B-12 chemtool or drip gas if you can find it in a full tank of high octane gas to jet out the injectors.
Check your tranny fluid and make sure it doesn't smell burnt or if you can't remember the last time it was changed it's probably time for new fluid and filter.

Hey..... what's the red button do?