Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Trouble in mrm's house (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/trouble-mrms-house-17596/)

mrm14 09-01-2009 07:22 PM

Trouble in mrm's house

I'm posting this thread in hopes some on the current or former LEO's here may have some advice.

I have a female tennent who has a room here in my house for the exchange of rent doing house cleaning, laundry, and in general to have someone here when I'm gone for days on end. She has been here for near 4 years. I've known this lady for near 15 years and am only friends with her.

I own a company and my office is in my home here and mail including checks from companies I do contract work for comes to this address.

I first noticed a problem in the end of July when a small check had been sent to me 2 weeks prior and I hadn't recieved it in the mail. I questioned the woman that has been living here if she had seen it. She said no. Two weeks later she hands me the missing check and said some kid found it 4 blocks down the street and that she had recovered it for me.

The next day the neighbor lady who the woman roommate/tennent here was friends with up to just about the time I was questioning the roommate/tennent about this missing check called me aside after coming home from a job and told me that she (the woman tennent here) had several checks in her possesion addressed to my company name and address and was asking her (the neighbor lady) how she could cash them. The tennent also told her that she had pawned a digital camera of mine and had sold a high dollar bicycle of mine as well. She also said she told my tennent here to never talk to her again and to stay off her property.

So, I go into the house and sure as sh!t my camera was gone as well as the bicycle. I then called the next day to the companies that owed me money and spoke with their accounts recievable to see if these pending invoices of mine had been paid. There answers were yes and about 2 weeks proir to these conversations with them. They also said after checking that these checks were still open. So I told them to stop payment on them and had them reissue checks to me and that to hold them in their offices as I would pick them up personally.

I questioned the woman tennent/romate again about the wehreabouts of my camera and bicycle and she said the camera was a cheap POS anyhow and that when I was gone she had borrowed my bicycle and was on the Regional Transit bus going down town and got into a scuffle and claimed that the RT police was holding the bicycle in an investigation.

So I call the RT police and claims departments with her name the discription of the bicycle and it's serial number and they knew nothing about it.

Next stop I drove down to the Sacramento Sheriffs Department and filed a report. I had the reciept for the camera with brand and model number and price paid but with no serail number. I also had the reciept for the bicycle with the brand, model number and serial number. I paid just under $500.00 for the camera and just over a $1000.00 for the bicycle. I also told them about the checks and that the neighbor had alerted me about my tennent/roommate. They said the checks were usless until someone tried to cash them. The neighbor lady also had given me her address and phone number to give to the law and that she would tell them what my tennent/roomate had told her and was trying to do.

When filing the report the officer said the camera would be considred a petty theft and that the bicycle would be considered as grand theft also that if she had sold or pawned them off to a pawn shop that it was a felony to do so if the items were not her property. Also, because she had my permission to ride my bicycle, that I had to give her a "Demand for return of personal property" before they could add it to the report as stolen goods. The bicycle as well as the checks are in the narrative of the report however.

I drafted a Demand for return of personal property notice with all the details the Sheriffs dept. told me to put in it and she has 10 working days to comply before they will add it to the report as stolen. I sent her a registered reciept letter of this demend and posted a copy of it to her bedroom door as well.

The next day she (the roommate/ tennent) told me another story about the bicycle and that she had rode it downtown and when coming back got too tired and had put it in her storage unit which is a few miles away between downtown and here, and got a ride home with a friend. She also said that her storage bill had to be paid as she hadn't paid it and that the storage outfit had locked her out. She then said that if I paid the bill one of her boyfriends and she would bring it home Monday (yesterday) So a few days went by and I decided to pay it. I stopped by her storage place after work a few days later and paid her bill current. I had done this for her a few times in the past. I also got duplicate reciepts from them and kept one copy for myself with all the details (unit #, address, her account #) If nothing else, I figured, it may have given her enough rope to hang herself.

So now Monday (yesterday) has passed and she went out with one of her boyfriends in the early afternoon. When she got home - no bicycle- and I asked where it was again.

Wow, then came the threats if I turn her in. I just sat quiet and listened until she went to her room. Later she came out of the room when I was watching TV and started on a rant about how she has had things stolen from her and that the bicycle wasn't worth more than $200.00 and that she'll say I've threatened her,and how I have embesseled this trust I manage, and how I go to the bar and have driven home intoxcated and on and on an on. I just sat and listened quietly. My perverbial skirts are clean on what she says she'll turn me in for if I follow thorugh with doing this to her.

This Friday will be the 10 working days time period she has to comply and I will have it reported as stolen. Also because these items may be in pawn shops (which I know most likely which ones thay may be) are in the City not the County jursidiction I have been told that I will have to go to the City police fo file a report and that the County Sheriff report will be of use to them. The City Police will have to search the pawn shops in the downtown area and if found will put a Ploice hold on them. I also have the names, addresses, and phone numbers of her boyfriends and this particularly troublesom looking street fellow that she has befriended here in the last 2 months.

Well there you have it. Any suggestions or details I should know of or do as I proceede with this situation this following week?

stalkingbear 09-01-2009 07:41 PM

WOW! I only know what I would do in your situation. I'd burn her RIGHT NOW! Report the stuff stolen YESTERDAY. By her threatening you that killed any delay. I also would have kicked her out some time ago as well. Start the proceedings NOW.

ItsmeShane 09-01-2009 07:48 PM

you need a new roommate brother. id get rid of her ASAP!

mrm14 09-01-2009 08:01 PM

I really dont have any leg to stand on this situation with her until the 10 days pass this coming Friday on the demand for return of the bicycle. The LEO's said I had to do this first. I'll have to say it's been real difficult keeping my cool with this biatch but so far I have suceeded in doing this.

Whats that old saying? OH yes "Keep your friends close and keep your enemys closer"

I'm in hopes that by using the Law to help that I might be able to get her out of here quicker. As far as the camera and bicycle go I have no illusions that I may ever see them again. When I get her out of here, which I hope will be sooner than later, (she gets her mail here) I'll change all the locks and the code on the alarm. Also, I will get a restraining order on her when she is out. If she pawned my stuff and signed one of those pawn tickets she will be out of here real quick and be spending some time in the County Hotel.

At present I feel this is all I can do.

ItsmeShane 09-01-2009 08:05 PM

you have a lot more patience than I do. id wait until shes gone, get some buddies over put her stuff in boxes and put it outside. change the locks and the alarm code and everything while shes gone. then she is screwed because it sounds like your neighbors dont care for her either.

mrm14 09-01-2009 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsmeShane (Post 154099)
you need a new roommate brother. id get rid of her ASAP!

No more roommates here. It's all I can do to keep my G/F and daughter from kicking her a$$. I'm telling the G/F and daughter to not come over until I resolve this situation. The bedroom she is in will become my business office.

I've had roomates on and off over the years but never have I had any of them come even close to doing something like this to me.

ItsmeShane 09-01-2009 08:09 PM

well the no roommates idea works too, i wasnt sure if you needed one to help out with bills and stuff. i know times are tough, trust me. but if you dont need one, then i wouldn't have one either.

Dillinger 09-01-2009 08:09 PM

What state are you in? And did you ever have any sort of relationship with this woman other than landlord/tenant??

You could be in for a real battle, which could get ugly.

Here's hoping you can use the law on your side and not the other way around.

That has DICEY written all over it.

Good luck!

ItsmeShane 09-01-2009 08:10 PM

haha, i was just assuming that because you've kept her around for so long, like i said, she would have been OUT of my house a long time ago.

skullcrusher 09-01-2009 08:18 PM

Nanny cam. Seriously, get some surveilance cameras and position them unseen. Voice recorders as well. Video and vocal evidence is extremely tough to beat.

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT place any surveilance equipment in her room or bathrooms. (something tells me that was needed)

Another thing, I am a 12 year old girl who knows everyting about the law in all areas of the country. Heed my advice. :cool: