Trespassing
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Trespassing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Trespassing

I can't believe people sometimes! A little history first. I moved to the country a few years ago and started having problems with people on occasion driving onto my property, for whatever reason, who knows. So, I installed a cattle gate leading to my house about 250 yds. away from the country road and chained it, installed two "Private Property, No Trespassing" signs on the gate with reflectors all over the place. Anyway, twice now, they have unchained the gate and drove up to my house to ask directions. Of course I know what the solution is and I'm going to buy a pad lock next time I'm at Wally World. I was polite and gave them directions and I'm the friendly type. But, after the second occurrence, it got my goat! Can't people read, do they think don't bother me stay off my property doesn't apply to them. Next time, and there will be, because the wife will be too lazy to put the lock back on, I think they will get a good look at my nice Remington Tactical 12 ga. pump. Think I might be over reacting a bit?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-17-2011, 07:02 PM   #2
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis845 View Post
I can't believe people sometimes! A little history first. I moved to the country a few years ago and started having problems with people on occasion driving onto my property, for whatever reason, who knows. So, I installed a cattle gate leading to my house about 250 yds. away from the country road and chained it, installed two "Private Property, No Trespassing" signs on the gate with reflectors all over the place. Anyway, twice now, they have unchained the gate and drove up to my house to ask directions. Of course I know what the solution is and I'm going to buy a pad lock next time I'm at Wally World. I was polite and gave them directions and I'm the friendly type. But, after the second occurrence, it got my goat! Can't people read, do they think don't bother me stay off my property doesn't apply to them. Next time, and there will be, because the wife will be too lazy to put the lock back on, I think they will get a good look at my nice Remington Tactical 12 ga. pump. Think I might be over reacting a bit?
Just a touch....kinda.....its not like your going out in the woods and finding someone sitting in your stand. They are simply driving up the lane.

But yeah, the whole opening a gate and driving that far in might tend to get to me too.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 10-17-2011, 07:20 PM   #3

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 39

we had this problem at grandpa's a few years ago.....so i dont think you're overreacting at all. what are gates for? to keep people out of a certain place, right? regardless of whether or not it was locked, that tells me that i'm not allowed to go there unless i have permission, am invited to, or i know the person whose property it is. on top of that it was chained AND you had 2 freaking signs? what the hell else do you need to do? dig a moat around your property with a drawbridge.

that irritates me and i dont even know you or where you live. i cant believe someone would have the nerve to undo a chain and drive up to a house like that. who gives a damn if they're lost, find someone else to ask directions. or buy a little thing called a map, maybe do a little google mapping before you drive out to the middle of nowhere. i'd post a "trepassers will be shot, questions asked later" sign if it were me.

Remington 700P (suppressed) - .308
Norinco SKS - 7.62x39
Mossberg 500 - 12 ga.
Savage FV64 - .22
Marlin Model 60 - .22
EAA Witness P - 9mm
AR15 - 5.56/.223
AR15 - 5.56/.223
AR15 - .223 Wylde 10.5" Pistol

Old 10-17-2011, 07:26 PM   #4
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by 762 View Post
we had this problem at grandpa's a few years ago.....so i dont think you're overreacting at all. what are gates for? to keep people out of a certain place, right? regardless of whether or not it was locked, that tells me that i'm not allowed to go there unless i have permission, am invited to, or i know the person whose property it is. on top of that it was chained AND you had 2 freaking signs? what the hell else do you need to do? dig a moat around your property with a drawbridge.

that irritates me and i dont even know you or where you live. i cant believe someone would have the nerve to undo a chain and drive up to a house like that. who gives a damn if they're lost, find someone else to ask directions. or buy a little thing called a map, maybe do a little google mapping before you drive out to the middle of nowhere. i'd post a "trepassers will be shot, questions asked later" sign if it were me.
LMAO...maybe these poor misunderstood folk dont know how to read much less read map.

Maybe you need a couple bull mastiffs and/or rottys to drive the point home...but then again, if it was me i would just pet the poor mutts and they would be my friends for life...but i just have that affinity with dogs, they ALL love me. Its humans i have trouble with.

I have read somewhere, sometime, some years ago where the whole "trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again" worked against the land owner in court when they DID have to shoot someone.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 10-17-2011, 07:30 PM   #5

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I don't think your over reacting a bit. I fully agree with 762, just what the hell else do you need to do? Do people open someones door and walk right into their home? Why should they open the gate and drive onto their property then?

Show them the shotty, and tell them "Get off my lawn."

Old 10-17-2011, 07:33 PM   #6

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

I don't think you're overreacting either. I DETEST unannounced visitors, that's just me. It's been my experience that an unexpected knock on the door is NEVER good news.

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 10-17-2011, 07:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
I have read somewhere, sometime, some years ago where the whole "trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again" worked against the land owner in court when they DID have to shoot someone.
back when i was a project manager for a construction company, we were doing a paint job at house where 2 older folks lived. probably in there late 70's at the time. they had that sticker on almost every single door and window on the back of their house. it was pretty funny.

here in NC, if i understand the law correctly, you cannot shoot someone for simply being on your land. they have to be in your home, intent to do you or your family harm. i think farmers have the right to protect their crops and livestock, but i'm not sure about that. i know my grandpa would at the very least fire a warning shot if he caught someone messing with his cows.

Norinco SKS - 7.62x39
Mossberg 500 - 12 ga.
Savage FV64 - .22
Marlin Model 60 - .22
EAA Witness P - 9mm
AR15 - 5.56/.223
AR15 - 5.56/.223

Old 10-17-2011, 08:00 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It's probably more lack of brains on their part than any disrespect to your property.

Brandishing your wares may just result is a visit from the Sheriff, so you should think twice before showing them any hardware.

I suggest locking the gate, and that will thin out most of them.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #9

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis845 View Post
Next time, and there will be, because the wife will be too lazy to put the lock back on, I think they will get a good look at my nice Remington Tactical 12 ga. pump. Think I might be over reacting a bit?
If you are serious, invest in some signs...and follow through if needed.
warning_sign.jpg  

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 10-17-2011, 08:10 PM   #10

maybe you should just put up a sign to freak people out instead of scare them. something like "if you need directions, open the gate and come on up. the toad people and i would love to help."

Norinco SKS - 7.62x39
Mossberg 500 - 12 ga.
Savage FV64 - .22
Marlin Model 60 - .22
EAA Witness P - 9mm
AR15 - 5.56/.223
AR15 - 5.56/.223