Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > A trend I noticed with some new gun buyers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19476 Times on 11063 Posts
Likes Given: 49082

many people who have firearms view them as nothing more than tools that have a specific use. no different than the shovel or axe they own. they don't see them as sources of recreation or works of art to be admired. they have no different admiration for a wrench than the shotgun they have.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #12

Liked 344 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 70

A common problem I see in "enthusiast" communities is that the interest level covers a broad range and some of the more "involved" members can adopt a lack of perspective.

I hang out here, in the car world, and used to be a big time videogamer. Some common trends I've seen in all three -

A failure to encourage those that are maybe not as interested or involved
Making recommendations based on personal preference rather than the needs or interest of the individual looking for information
A lack of introspection around some of the drawbacks of the recommenders personal preference
An attitude of some enthusiasts who believe everyone should be as hardcore as them
An attitude of resentment from those who maybe can't afford some of the nicer guns, cars, games, etc. etc.

That's just off the top of my head. I would urge gun enthusiasts to treat mere gun owners with respect and patience. I know, I know, I just drew a distinction there, but I don't mean it in a way that is disparaging to people who just want to own a gun. Many of those who bought a gun just to have one are future enthusiasts who may one day become powerful advocates for gun rights. We need to look for those we can foster and not worry quite so much about the rest.

Unless they're at the gun range with a wandering muzzle, and then I'll worry plenty.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Last edited by CrazedJava; 03-16-2013 at 04:02 PM. Reason: I are grammar challenged!!!
People Like This 
Old 03-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2694 Times on 1583 Posts
Likes Given: 16632

^^ Just that , could not have said that better..!

Old 03-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #14

Liked 663 Times on 366 Posts
Likes Given: 1360

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedJava View Post
A common problem I see in "enthusiast" communities is that the interest level covers a broad range and some of the more "involved" members can adopt a lack of perspective.

"A failure to encourage those that are maybe not as interested or involved
Making recommendations based on personal preference rather than the needs or interest of the individual looking for information
A lack of introspection around some of the drawbacks of the recommenders personal preference
An attitude of some enthusiasts who believe everyone should be as hardcore as them
An attitude of resentment from those who maybe can't afford some of the nicer guns, cars, games, etc. etc."
Man.. you MUST have done some reenacting at some time or another !!! I don't know how many times I've had to say "Are we gonna pick apart each other's kits or are we gonna burn some powder and have some fun ??"
Old 03-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1136 Times on 557 Posts
Likes Given: 72

I have a co-worker, a young man in his late 20s who decided about a year ago that he needed a gun to defend himself, his wife and their son. What did I think, as he was looking at a .380, specifically a S&W Bodyguard. I asked if he had shot one, and he said no, so I suggested he go to a LGS that had one of those and a Sig P238 on the rental wall.

He ignored the advice, which is his right to do, and bought the Bodyguard. He got one box of target ammo and went to the range. Shot 25 and did not like shooting the gun. Bought a box of hollow points, went home, put the gun up and has not shot it since. He now has it locked up, but "ready for defense." Whatever that means.

I told him he needed frequent pactice if he thought he might need to use it accurately to defend his family, but he told me he did not like shooting it, and it was fine as is. I said OK, and have not brought it up since.

You can lead them only as far as they want to be lead. Like C3 said, I am guessing someone will get this one cheaply in a couple more years.

A bad day at the range is better then a good day on the job!

People Like This 
Old 03-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1703 Times on 888 Posts
Likes Given: 341

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daoust_Nat View Post
I have a co-worker, a young man in his late 20s who decided about a year ago that he needed a gun to defend himself, his wife and their son. What did I think, as he was looking at a .380, specifically a S&W Bodyguard. I asked if he had shot one, and he said no, so I suggested he go to a LGS that had one of those and a Sig P238 on the rental wall.

He ignored the advice, which is his right to do, and bought the Bodyguard. He got one box of target ammo and went to the range. Shot 25 and did not like shooting the gun. Bought a box of hollow points, went home, put the gun up and has not shot it since. He now has it locked up, but "ready for defense." Whatever that means.

I told him he needed frequent pactice if he thought he might need to use it accurately to defend his family, but he told me he did not like shooting it, and it was fine as is. I said OK, and have not brought it up since.

You can lead them only as far as they want to be lead. Like C3 said, I am guessing someone will get this one cheaply in a couple more years.
that same guy usually ends up:
A) missing altogether
B) shooting himself in the foot while fumbling with the gun
C) shoots his wife or kid by mistake

anything....golf, fly fishing, sports, shooting ....anything that relies on muscle memory takes consistent practice