Transportation to job???
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Transportation to job???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2014, 09:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Default Transportation to job???

Hey everyone, I am applying for a job at a place near my house but I am concerned about how I am going to get there on time. Its only around a 10 minute drive there but I cant get my license until 6 months from now. I could ride my bike but im not sure how efficient and safe that would be considering the route we usually takes involves the highway. I was looking at mopeds but I am not sure if that's even practical taking California law into consideration.

''There are two types of motorized bicycles, defined in the California Vehicle Code (VC) Sections 406(a) and 406(b).
Section 406(a) VC refers to a moped or motorized bicycle as any two or three wheeled device having fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power, or having no pedals if powered solely by electrical energy, has an automatic transmission, and a motor which produces less than 2 gross brake horespower and is capable of propelling the device at a maximum speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on level ground.
Section 406(b) VC refers to a motorized bicycle as a device that has fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power and has an electric motor that:
Has a power output of not more than 1,000 watts;
Is incapable of propelling the device at a speed of more than 20 miles per hour on level ground; and
Is incapable of further increasing the speed of the device when human power is used to propel the motorized bicycle faster than 20 miles per hour.''
Effective 1/1/2005, a Class C driver license or driver permit is required.

Motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, motorized bicycle/moped (Section 406(a) VC)

Must obtain an M-1 or M-2 endorsement on a driver's license.
M-1 allows the driver to operate a motorcycle, motor-driven cycle and moped
M-2 allows for operation of a moped or motorized bicycle only.
To obtain an M-1 or M-2 endorsement, the driver must:
Pass the appropriate written exam
Pass riding skills test (DMV will accept certificate of competence from an approved novice motorcyclist training program instead of skills test, such as the California Motorcyclist Safety Program).
If the individual is under 21 years of age, mandatory successful completion of a Basic Rider education course approved by the CHP is required, such as the Basic Rider course available through the California Motorcyclist Safety Program.
Motorized Bicycle (Section 406(b) VC)

Driver's License not required but rider must be at least 16 years of age

So my options are to get an m2 instructional permit, ride my bike, or get a moped that cant go over 20 mph which is pretty impractical. I am thinking that getting the instruction permit is my best bet but I am not sure how long that will take.
So to sum it all up, those are my options. Can you guys recommend any other methods of transportation that might work. I am 16 years old. Also, any advice on things I can do to increase my chances of getting hired is strongly appreciated.

Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.
dango Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-07-2014, 09:46 PM   #2
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3377 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 710

You mean an Electric Bicycle or Tricycle like this one? imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1402177454.739626.jpg
Currie E-Zip TriRide...( which incidentally, mine has no limiter, and does a maximum of 24mph + pedal power)....

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
dango Likes This 
Old 06-07-2014, 09:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
You mean an Electric Bicycle or Tricycle like this one? Attachment 144964
Currie E-Zip TriRide...( which incidentally, mine has no limiter, and does a maximum of 24mph + pedal power)....

Nice, is it street legal? How much does one cost? The ride I would be taking isn't to far so I think that could work.
Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.
dango Likes This 
Old 06-07-2014, 10:05 PM   #4

Liked 505 Times on 297 Posts

I was going to say something electric. So many good electric bikes and scooters now with decent range. Hang in there though, only 6 more months till you can get your license eh? Nice to see a young guy taking the responsible route. Good for you bud. As far as advice on getting hired, be confident. Sit up straight, look your potential boss in the eyes, not at your shoes. Talk about what you want to do for the company, not what you want the company to do for you. Assure him or her that you are reliable and hard working. Always try to speak eloquently and don't over use the word "like" or "um" a lot. Practice what you'd like to say before you go in there in front of a mirror. Confidence and the way you present yourself will be huge. Smile and give them a firm handshake. A good hand shake says a lot about a man. Good luck!

Last edited by FernandoTheCommando; 06-07-2014 at 10:09 PM.
People Like This 
Old 06-07-2014, 11:33 PM   #5

Thanks, could it also help increase my chances of being hired if I was cpr/aed and first aid certified? Im trying to find a place to take a class.

dango Likes This 
Old 06-08-2014, 12:00 AM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2657 Times on 1448 Posts
Likes Given: 759

Get some spandex so you look good riding the bike and carry your work clothes in a pack. Bike commuting is growing. Otherwise check into public transportation.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

People Like This 
Old 06-08-2014, 12:19 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4031 Times on 2253 Posts
Likes Given: 20659

By "Highway" do you like an interstate where speed limit varies from 45- 65 MPH ? If so no , the vehicle must have enough oomph not be an obstacle .

Back in my day , legal to the "Highways was a minimum of 350 cc,s to keep up to the very minimum speed limit able to keep up safely with traffic .

As suggested , check into public transit or perhaps another route .
Good luck with the new job !

Old 06-08-2014, 01:18 AM   #8
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3377 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default Transportation to job???

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
Nice, is it street legal? How much does one cost? The ride I would be taking isn't to far so I think that could work.

In Az. At least here it is. On Major designated roads you must stay to the right. Not sure about I-17 by me but I've seen bicycles on the Shoulder on I-40 and I-10. You have to pedal to get it into "electric assist" mode though. I use it a little, certainly not as much as I should, but I still have trouble pedaling up hills with my Back. Since that photo I had the bars raised, the seat shifted back a bit, and a new backrest put on, as well as a Stereo Speaker system for my iPhone, and in addition to the reflectors I added a Headlight, and powered taillights. It's for short trips...I was hoping to use it to "walk" the Dog some...and it's been to the post office and the convenience store...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 06-08-2014 at 01:20 AM.

Old 06-08-2014, 01:19 AM   #9

Liked 505 Times on 297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
Thanks, could it also help increase my chances of being hired if I was cpr/aed and first aid certified? Im trying to find a place to take a class.

That depends on the job you're going for, but getting CPR certified is good no matter what.

Old 06-08-2014, 01:39 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10083 Times on 4348 Posts
Likes Given: 1605

You can also check for "share the ride" websites- folks that are looking for carpoolers. You kick in some $$$ for gas, they give you a ride to work.

I grew up in the country, lot of folks had a job in the city, 30 miles away, but either no car, no license, etc. There were several local folks that had 5 daily riders in their car. The carpooler would swing by their house, pick them up, bring them home, they paid his gas. Good deal for everybody.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

dango Likes This