Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Transplanting a small tree.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6542 Times on 3633 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default Transplanting a small tree.

About a year ago, I used a supposedly dead stick that fell off our pecan tree to fix our crappy gate. I think it was maybe a couple feet long at the time, so I just stuck it in the ground. Well, it wasn't dead, and turned into a tree. It is already about 5 feet tall, and it is growing pretty fast.

We decided the we want to keep it, and it needs to be moved since it is right next to the gate, our house, and the neighbor's house. What would be the best way to do this, and what time of the year should we do this?

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-19-2012, 12:11 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2910 Times on 1715 Posts

Pick a spot with similar lighting conditions to where it is now. Just dig the hole and drop it in with the dirt it is in now, pack it down a bit and water.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 37 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Wait until the tree looses it's leaves, then move it with as much of a dirt / root ball as you can. Water to settle the dirt and keep it water for the first year or so.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1905 Times on 1042 Posts
Likes Given: 692

My wife is a horticulturalist. She has told me that moving trees is often dependent on the type of tree. Some are best to move in the spring. Others are best to move in the fall.

I suggest you contact the local agriculture extension office.
http://agrilifeextension.tamu.edu/

They should be able to tell you everything you need to know.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 06-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2227 Times on 1447 Posts

Timk had the best reply imo with my experience. If that tree is that hardy break another stick off, plant it and water away. Early spring or late fall is best, watering is important.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 06-19-2012, 04:29 PM   #6

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

We love plants and gardening. It is our experience, though, that you must be careful how many trees you have. You didn't really plan on having an extra pecan tree, so are you sure you even want another one?

Craigslist is good for giving it away if you would rather not just dig it up and toss it out.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 06-19-2012, 10:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Pick a spot with similar lighting conditions to where it is now. Just dig the hole and drop it in with the dirt it is in now, pack it down a bit and water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimKS View Post
Wait until the tree looses it's leaves, then move it with as much of a dirt / root ball as you can. Water to settle the dirt and keep it water for the first year or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
My wife is a horticulturalist. She has told me that moving trees is often dependent on the type of tree. Some are best to move in the spring. Others are best to move in the fall.

I suggest you contact the local agriculture extension office.
http://agrilifeextension.tamu.edu/

They should be able to tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
Timk had the best reply imo with my experience. If that tree is that hardy break another stick off, plant it and water away. Early spring or late fall is best, watering is important.
Thanks for the advice guys. I looked into the best time to transplant a pecan tree, and Feb-Mar looks like the best time. I don't think it will grow enough to be a problem by then, so I'll just leave it for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
We love plants and gardening. It is our experience, though, that you must be careful how many trees you have. You didn't really plan on having an extra pecan tree, so are you sure you even want another one?

Craigslist is good for giving it away if you would rather not just dig it up and toss it out.
Well, we have two pecan trees in the back, some other kind of tree in the front, and just enough room for one more in the front. I think it would be nice to have one more in the front. It would help keep the house cool, and lower a few bills. Plus, FREE PECANS!!!

Also, is it odd that I am horrible with plants, yet I can stick a stick into the ground and have it turn in to a tree?

Old 06-19-2012, 10:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_blue79 View Post
Look on the bright side, come harvest time with 3 full grown Pecan trees(later on down the road) you'll have a little money in the pocket for Ammo if you sell the Pecans
My dog usually gets to them first. He doesn't even eat them. He just chews on them, and spits them out.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_blue79 View Post
Mine eats Hickory nuts.
What kind of dog? I usually need a hammer to open one of those.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:05 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2227 Times on 1447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker

My dog usually gets to them first. He doesn't even eat them. He just chews on them, and spits them out.
The fruit on the outside of the nut is edible, too. When I was in Jamaica I found a security guard eating the fruit, and we had a short conversation about food.

Transplanting is successful in the fall, wait until the leaves drop to transplant. Just be sure to water, the tree may be dormant but the roots are in growth mode. My rule of thumb for watering a transplant is every day for two weeks, then 2-3 times a week for awhile after.

Feral cat waterboarder