Transparent 1939 Pontiac, I want this car!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Transparent 1939 Pontiac, I want this car!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default Transparent 1939 Pontiac, I want this car!

Transparent 1939 Pontiac to Appear at Auction

Published June 15, 2011

FoxNews.com

So Airbus wants to build a transparent jet, huh? Maybe it got the idea from Pontiac.

In 1939, General Motors built a see-through Pontiac Deluxe Six sedan to be used as the centerpiece of its display at the New York World’s Fair that year. Designed in conjunction with Rohm and Haas, the company that developed Plexiglas, all of the metal bodywork of the car was replaced with the then high-tech clear plastic.

It was the first full-size transparent car ever built, and reportedly a favorite of visitors to the fair. All of the underpinnings of the vehicle were kept intact, including its L-head straight-6 engine, and were visible through the bodywork. Fully operational, today the Pontiac has 86 miles on its odometer, apparently driven on its white rubber wheels – another show car touch.

After making the rounds as a promotional car following the fair, the Pontiac joined the collection at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C., where it remained until 1947. Afterwards, it passed through a long succession of private owners before being purchased by a collector in the early 1980’s.

The so-called “Ghost Car” is now set to be offered at the RM Auctions St. John’s event in Plymouth, Michigan on July 30th. It has been appraised at a price between $275,000 and $475,000, which is about the same amount that GM spent to build it in today’s dollars.

Considering that an Airbus jet costs about $275 million, the Pontiac sounds like an FDR-era deal.

Fox Car Report is on Twitter. Follow us @foxcarreport

Read more: Transparent 1939 Pontiac to Appear at Auction - FoxNews.com

1939-pontiac.jpg  
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-16-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7119 Times on 4285 Posts
Likes Given: 8653

Wow!! Very cool.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I can't believe nobody else is excited about this car surfacing.

Bump for the weekend.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-18-2011, 05:15 PM   #4
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

[$(1)$]

Old 06-18-2011, 05:29 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Be cool to paint it candy apple red, wouldn't it?

Last edited by CA357; 06-18-2011 at 05:31 PM.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:30 PM   #6

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Now that's something you don't see every day! I like!

Old 06-18-2011, 06:46 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

It's just a very cool thing. I've always been a car guy and this really struck my fancy.