Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   transmission temperature? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/transmission-temperature-94673/)

bobski 07-30-2013 11:07 AM

transmission temperature?

someone mentioned to me that i need to check my transmission temp if i tow a heavy load with my pickup.

how do you check tranny temp? i have a water temp gauge, but i never heard of a tranny temp gauge.

bluez 07-30-2013 11:17 AM

There is such a thing but if you dont have one (most dont) you can also find the tranny fluid dipstick under your hood and use an IR thermometer to check there.

If your P/U is older installed a tranny cooler from Hayden or B&M might be wise. Make sure it bypasses the factory heat exchanger into the radiator (They often heat up the fluid too much)

Transmission coolers are not very expensive.. maybe 100 bucks for the parts (was 70 when I did it last 10 yrs ago so now maybe 100?

ctshooter 07-30-2013 11:49 AM

Make sure to use a quality synthetic trans fluid as well. The better fluids will actually lower temps as well. A friend of mine swears by royal purple fluids, oil, transmission, transfer case, front and rear differentials. He pulls a large camper trailer/toy hauler.

partdeux 07-30-2013 12:15 PM

vehicle model and year?

Modern units can report out to installed tuner equipment.

Quite frankly, if it's a modern vehicle and you're within stated capacity, you'll be fine. OEM's spend a LOT of money testing the vehicles to ensure they will do exactly what they advertise.

rockratt 07-30-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by partdeux (Post 1320083)
vehicle model and year?

Modern units can report out to installed tuner equipment.

Quite frankly, if it's a modern vehicle and you're within stated capacity, you'll be fine. OEM's spend a LOT of money testing the vehicles to ensure they will do exactly what they advertise.

Agreed!!! You can buy an after market tranny temp gauge but I doubt you need it. Not sure about GM or Ford but I know Dodge has a tranny temp light on the dash but most folks never see it.

bobski 07-30-2013 01:45 PM

95 chevy 2500 4wd cheyanne pickup. im towing a 76 c10 2wd 1/2 ton on a 18' brakeless uhaul transport. not a dolly. my truck passed uhaul inspection, itll be a bumper hitch tow off a commercial rated bumper bolted to the chassis on an omaha work body, has a 2" 6000lb ball w/2" shank. 1200 miles. I-81 to I-40 to memphis. cutting north on I-55 into the ozarks to west plains mo. area.

bobski 07-30-2013 01:52 PM

if a tranny gets hot whats the proceedure? is it low fluid or just sit and let it cool?

bobski 07-30-2013 01:54 PM

hey rockrat, if ya come up and shoot with us in oct, youll see the truck i towed there!

rockratt 07-30-2013 02:32 PM

Hey Bobski: I got your message and the offer sounds inviting since you are only about 2 1/2 hours from here. I am not much of a shotgunner so I am sure all your going to do is make fun of me, and hurt my 1 feeling I have left!!!LOL .I am going to see what I can do and will be back in touch.

As to the truck I would make sure it has an auxillary tranny cooler on it. Most of the new ones come equipped with them but one that old wouldn't of had it unless there was a tow package on the truck.If it doesn't I would add one. Around 60 bucks for a good one the last time I got one from Oreilly's. If it gets hot you'll have to let it cool, check the fluid .

bluez 07-30-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobski (Post 1320155)
if a tranny gets hot whats the proceedure? is it low fluid or just sit and let it cool?

Let it cool.
heat kills automatic transmissions more than any other cause.