Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   The Club House (
-   -   Transferring ownership (

Lorax429 12-23-2009 05:38 PM

Transferring ownership
This has probably been asked before, but I seem to be unable to write a search string to find it so I am sorry if this is an over exposed topic...

I have a handgun that I wish to give to my brother-in-law. I live in NC and he lives in SC. I purchased the weapon legally from a dealer here in NC of course. My brother-in-law has an SC concealed carry permit and can legally purchase and possess handguns in SC.

I am trying to figure out how to legally transfer ownership of the weapon to him. I don't want to break any laws from ignorance. I am assuming I cannot just give it to him but am not sure what if anything I need to do.

Thanks for the help.


ninjatoth 12-23-2009 06:11 PM

Do handguns have to be registered in SC?Since it's going to a person in SC all the laws that you really need to know are SC laws.Here in Michigan transfering a registered handgun to someone else is easy,just requires a pistol permit with the seller or giver signing it as "seller"and the reciever signing it as buyer,and CCW holders can even possess the other guys handgun until it's signed over,but not so for just an "owner".I would call the county police station of where he lives and ask what the procedure is for transfers,it's probably the same as what I described for MI.

Lorax429 12-27-2009 11:38 PM

Thanks guys. I found a number for the ATF here in NC and asked an agent. He told me I needed to setup an transfer and ship the gun to a dealer of my BIL's choice in SC, where he would then go and pick it up (an pay a transfer fee to the dealer).

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:49 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.