transfer fee?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > transfer fee?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kansas city burbs,KS
Posts: 27
Default transfer fee?

Hi everyone, I've been thinking about making an online order for my shotgun. But I've never ordered online before, now i know that it needs to be sent to my area FFL for me the pick up. Whats the average going rate for this? I'd like to buy local, but during these times saving some money might be a better idea. What i am wanting to know is that for what i would save from ordering online from say..Budsgunshop... that once i pay the fees to my FFL if it would end up costing the same. And what about sales tax? Does that work the same as other goods from out of state? where i don't have to pay for it? And do i need to let my local FFL know of this before i purchase online and have it shipped there?

Thanks,
Ray

__________________
smokinbunta is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 04-11-2011, 06:19 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
gregs887's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Moorpark,CA
Posts: 1,547
Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinbunta View Post
Hi everyone, I've been thinking about making an online order for my shotgun. But I've never ordered online before, now i know that it needs to be sent to my area FFL for me the pick up. Whats the average going rate for this? I'd like to buy local, but during these times saving some money might be a better idea. What i am wanting to know is that for what i would save from ordering online from say..Budsgunshop... that once i pay the fees to my FFL if it would end up costing the same. And what about sales tax? Does that work the same as other goods from out of state? where i don't have to pay for it? And do i need to let my local FFL know of this before i purchase online and have it shipped there?

Thanks,
Ray
Call your local FFL and ask. Around here it's anywhere between $60 and $160 for an out of state transfer depending on where you go.
__________________

Greg

“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupid"

gregs887 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:29 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
VitSports6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Taylorsville,Utard
Posts: 744
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs887 View Post
Call your local FFL and ask. Around here it's anywhere between $60 and $160 for an out of state transfer depending on where you go.
WOW!!

Here it's around $20-50 for transfer fee's, That doesn't include shipping.
__________________
Have fun
Brian
VitSports6 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:31 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
gregs887's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Moorpark,CA
Posts: 1,547
Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitSports6 View Post
WOW!!

Here it's around $20-50 for transfer fee's, That doesn't include shipping.
Seriously. Life as usual in the Peoples Republik
__________________

Greg

“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupid"

gregs887 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
spittinfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Maiden,NC
Posts: 9,663
Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs887 View Post
Call your local FFL and ask. Around here it's anywhere between $60 and $160 for an out of state transfer depending on where you go.
HOLY CRAP!!!! My old FFL didn't charge me for transfers in or out. In my current town it goes from $20-30 at local shops and if you want to get screwed just head on over to Gander Mountain and you'll pay $50.

There was an old guy that would only charge $10 but he stopped doing transfers a little while back.
__________________

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

spittinfire is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:37 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,152
Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Even more important than the fee is finding an FFL that will actually do the transfer. Many will not receive a gun that they carry in stock - or they charge a ridiculous fee for doing so. Do ALL the homework up front, including a personal visit to the FFL before buying...

__________________
NGIB is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:44 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
spittinfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Maiden,NC
Posts: 9,663
Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Even more important than the fee is finding an FFL that will actually do the transfer. Many will not receive a gun that they carry in stock - or they charge a ridiculous fee for doing so. Do ALL the homework up front, including a personal visit to the FFL before buying...
That's a new one on me. I've never run into a dealer that wouldn't do a transfer in or out and the cost was always the same. interesting.
__________________

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

spittinfire is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:51 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,152
Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
That's a new one on me. I've never run into a dealer that wouldn't do a transfer in or out and the cost was always the same. interesting.
It's actually pretty common, especially around Atlanta...
__________________
NGIB is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rogers, AR
Posts: 6,262
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default

$20 transfer fee here in Arkansas usually, unless you go to a couple of d-bag places which I avoid like the plague.

__________________
Gojubrian is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:19 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: valdosta georgia,georgia
Posts: 113
Likes Given: 13

Default

we charge 25.00 per gun per transfer here in south georgia but prices around vary up to 40.00. You will need to contact your local ffl first to see if they are willing to make the transfer they will then need to make contact with the seller to exchange ffl's .

__________________
cmhill is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
2 guns 1 transfer? m72law Legal and Activism 9 06-22-2010 02:25 AM
help with transfer..... m72law NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion 18 05-01-2010 02:05 AM
ffl to ffl transfer ae50mag NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion 1 06-11-2008 12:27 PM
FFL to FFL Transfer Costs SixthTry The Club House 10 04-18-2008 05:37 PM