transfer fee?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > transfer fee?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default transfer fee?

Hi everyone, I've been thinking about making an online order for my shotgun. But I've never ordered online before, now i know that it needs to be sent to my area FFL for me the pick up. Whats the average going rate for this? I'd like to buy local, but during these times saving some money might be a better idea. What i am wanting to know is that for what i would save from ordering online from say..Budsgunshop... that once i pay the fees to my FFL if it would end up costing the same. And what about sales tax? Does that work the same as other goods from out of state? where i don't have to pay for it? And do i need to let my local FFL know of this before i purchase online and have it shipped there?

Thanks,
Ray

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-11-2011, 06:19 PM   #2

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinbunta View Post
Hi everyone, I've been thinking about making an online order for my shotgun. But I've never ordered online before, now i know that it needs to be sent to my area FFL for me the pick up. Whats the average going rate for this? I'd like to buy local, but during these times saving some money might be a better idea. What i am wanting to know is that for what i would save from ordering online from say..Budsgunshop... that once i pay the fees to my FFL if it would end up costing the same. And what about sales tax? Does that work the same as other goods from out of state? where i don't have to pay for it? And do i need to let my local FFL know of this before i purchase online and have it shipped there?

Thanks,
Ray
Call your local FFL and ask. Around here it's anywhere between $60 and $160 for an out of state transfer depending on where you go.

Greg

“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupid"

Old 04-11-2011, 06:29 PM   #3

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs887 View Post
Call your local FFL and ask. Around here it's anywhere between $60 and $160 for an out of state transfer depending on where you go.
WOW!!

Here it's around $20-50 for transfer fee's, That doesn't include shipping.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:31 PM   #4

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitSports6 View Post
WOW!!

Here it's around $20-50 for transfer fee's, That doesn't include shipping.
Seriously. Life as usual in the Peoples Republik

Greg

“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupid"

Old 04-11-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs887 View Post
HOLY CRAP!!!! My old FFL didn't charge me for transfers in or out. In my current town it goes from $20-30 at local shops and if you want to get screwed just head on over to Gander Mountain and you'll pay $50.

There was an old guy that would only charge $10 but he stopped doing transfers a little while back.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 04-11-2011, 06:37 PM   #6

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Even more important than the fee is finding an FFL that will actually do the transfer. Many will not receive a gun that they carry in stock - or they charge a ridiculous fee for doing so. Do ALL the homework up front, including a personal visit to the FFL before buying...

Old 04-11-2011, 06:44 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Even more important than the fee is finding an FFL that will actually do the transfer. Many will not receive a gun that they carry in stock - or they charge a ridiculous fee for doing so. Do ALL the homework up front, including a personal visit to the FFL before buying...
That's a new one on me. I've never run into a dealer that wouldn't do a transfer in or out and the cost was always the same. interesting.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 04-11-2011, 06:51 PM   #8

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
That's a new one on me. I've never run into a dealer that wouldn't do a transfer in or out and the cost was always the same. interesting.
It's actually pretty common, especially around Atlanta...

Old 04-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

$20 transfer fee here in Arkansas usually, unless you go to a couple of d-bag places which I avoid like the plague.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:19 PM   #10

Likes Given: 13

we charge 25.00 per gun per transfer here in south georgia but prices around vary up to 40.00. You will need to contact your local ffl first to see if they are willing to make the transfer they will then need to make contact with the seller to exchange ffl's .