Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Train through the area (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/train-through-area-45826/)

Gus556 07-26-2011 09:20 PM

Train through the area

Hey all, I have a question. A train just came through the area and it was set up like nothing I have ever seen before. There were orange cords going from car to car. Some it plugged into others it did not. It was moving incredibly slow. Some cars were marked while others were not. The cars that were not marked had the cords plugged into them. The cars that were marked had signs denoting Sodium Chloride, Sodium Hydroxide, limestone slurry, Acid, and others had multiple placards on them. I did not have my MSDS Haz-Mat DOT book w/ me so I could not look up the numbers and I dont remember specific numbers now.
The last three cars appeared to be huge generators that all of the orange cords fed into.

What in the hell do you think I just witnessed? I have been watching trains run up and down that line for the past 25 years and have never seen anything like that.

boatme98 07-26-2011 09:50 PM

Sounds like something needed to be kept cool. Was it headed for "a remote airfield in N.M."? :D
Those damned aliens are popping up everywhere. :eek:

JonM 07-26-2011 10:00 PM

yup extremely cold. prolly pressurized and cold and needed to be kept that way. cords were prolly feeding power from the generators to the fridge units.

Gus556 07-26-2011 10:08 PM

The sodium chloride doesnt bother me but the sodium hydroxide and units marked acid did. Sodium hydroxide is nasty stuff.

cpttango30 07-26-2011 10:09 PM

You didn't get any pictures?

Gus556 07-26-2011 10:14 PM

No.
Recently in NY it has been made a primary offense to have a cell phone in hand and the fines are out of sight (like over $300 after you add in court fees and such). To that extent, I would never concider having anything that could be construed as a cell phone in my hands while in the driver seat.
The police state is running low on funds and officer howdy has a pen full of ink so one needs to be under the radar at all times.
I even changed two of my AR's to ensure complete compliance to NYS laws in regards to stocks and mags.

Shihan 07-27-2011 12:01 AM

Probably on its way to Procter and Gamble to make some Laundry detergent.

Or it could be Aliens.:D

canebrake 07-27-2011 12:10 AM

Naw, they just lanced the boil at Three Mile Island. :p

Vikingdad 07-27-2011 12:19 AM

I wonder why they would transport so many different reactive chemicals together? That doesn't seem right to me.

mrm14 07-27-2011 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gus556 (Post 550424)
The sodium chloride doesnt bother me but the sodium hydroxide and units marked acid did. Sodium hydroxide is nasty stuff.

Sodium Hydroxide is simple lye and a base. Base neutralizes acid. Depending on the molar concentration of each cooling may be necessary to keep evpaoration to a minimum. You wouldn't want to get a snoot full of either if the concentration was high enough.

Probably like Shihan said and it's going to a soap factory.