Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   A train day (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/train-day-99540/)

boatme98 10-26-2013 09:47 AM

A train day

I got up early for a day off. I'm going to Nashville to ride a train back.
I'm helping a friend who's sponsoring the trip. It's a "Fall, Come See Our Town" trip. Get the folks out of the city and spend some money here.
It should be about 10 cars.
I'll be docent for the excursion.
It's about an 85 mile ride and goes along some nice river and creek valleys, then up onto the plateau to my town.
I don't think I'll have time for photos, we'll see.

GunsGodAndCountry 10-26-2013 09:57 AM

So you're channeling your inner Sheldon?

WebleyFosbery38 10-26-2013 10:22 AM

I only rode a train once in my life but thought it was pretty cool. Im still surprised they are not the preferred method of cargo and commuting, they are about the most efficient and safe way going! The Peak foliage season is past here but the Adirondack train ride is pretty awesome (From what Ive heard). Hope you have a great time.

MisterMcCool 10-26-2013 10:25 AM

How will you get your car back? :confused:

mountainman13 10-26-2013 10:35 AM

With the number of derailments lately, you'd be about as likely to see me on a train as in a plane.

boatme98 10-26-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterMcCool (Post 1413990)
How will you get your car back? :confused:

Ah. A thinking man!

We actually suckered a friend into driving us to Nashville at 05:30. :cool:

winds-of-change 10-26-2013 05:46 PM

When my first son was little he LOVED trains.......thanks to Thomas the Tank Engine. My Mom and I took him on a train out of Arlington Heights into Chicago, ate lunch in Union Station, then rode the train back home. My 3 year old son was thrilled. He knelt on the seat that was parallel to the windows and looked out the window the whole time. Everyone enjoys a train ride. They're awesome.

boatme98 10-26-2013 05:50 PM

So I did the trip.
580 people on board. 11 passenger cars, each about 85 ft. long.
There were 2 of us to load and hand out the info packs and give a talk about the town, then answer questions in each car. I'm not sure how many trips I made from end to end but I got a lot of exercise today.
The train had one skycar, two diners, one baggage car that's converted to a retail store.
5 engines (and I'm sorry, I didn't find out what types. I know someone will ask) to pull it up the plateau.
All in all, a pretty cool day.
Oh, I didn't have any time to take photos.

clr8ter 10-26-2013 06:20 PM

Yeah, our nation used to run on trains, the ghosts of that are EVERYWHERE, if yo look. Now, it's fallen into ruins. They say trains are the most efficient means of shipping goods long distances. Trucks as a group burn a sh!t ton more fuel per pound of cargo hauled.

Interesting story; At the end of my road, there are 2 main roads and some train tracks all intersecting, with stop lights. One day the train, a local pissant outfit that typically hauls less than ten cars slower than you can walk was approaching the intersection. I was not there when it happened, but somehow a local towing company's truck, towing a lowboy trailer got in the way, and the train pushed it's caboose over and onto the lowboy. For the life of me, I don't know how this happened, it's a very low speed train, with plenty of straight track on both sides, and very good visibility for all. What a cluster f**k that afternoon. I'll try to dig up pictures.

Now, the train stops before the road, and old guy gets off the caboose, and actually walks the train across the intersection.

Airborne1 10-26-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatme98 (Post 1414262)
Ah. A thinking man!

We actually suckered a friend into driving us to Nashville at 05:30. :cool:

He is a friend! He was probably fine with helping you. I don't know about the hour though, the time would not bother me as I wake up a couple of hours earlier anyway.
I got to make the morning pit stop. I didn't have that problem as much when I was younger, unless I had been drinking a lot the night before.

I hope you have a safe and very pleasant journey!

Ken