Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Tracers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2009, 01:09 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7622 Times on 3317 Posts
Likes Given: 1130

Muzzle flash or tracers? TRACERS! Not only last longer (burn 1/4 to 1/2 second), they are 2 dimensional- draw a line in the sky.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:47 AM   #12

Liked 198 Times on 137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
I guess the noob wasn't entirely wrong, was he????

Usually it's a 1 to 4 ratio in my military circles, but I don't use them. If I am firing night fire, I will have my NVGs on and my infrared on as well.
I guess he was, sort of. The problem is I've had them not light before and I figured it was because the paint on the tip was wore off. I bought a box for my sks and the paint on about half of them was wore off and most of them didn't light.

He also said that they were richoceting because they were lighter, which I don't believe as there are objects that bullets won't penetrate and what happens to a round when it hits said object? It richochets.

I guess I was sort of wrong and he was sort of right?

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 03-17-2009, 02:54 AM   #13

Liked 198 Times on 137 Posts

Forgot to say, my tracers always lit at about 20 feet from the gun also. I don't shoot tracers unless it's been raining. I fired a few at my dad's house from the prone position from my sks on it's bi-pod and watched as it flew straight up into the air about 200 feet. The last time I fired any it had been raining for a week prior to that day and was very sloppy. That day my right rear truck tire slipped off the driveway and sank 3 inches while I was turning around.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 03-17-2009, 07:05 AM   #14
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Never used the painted trace rounds but they do/did exist but not that effective as they show trace from the gun position and burn out fast. Only used the phospate rounds, they are lighter and not expected to be on target round but light up the direction of fire. As I know it is three live rounds and a trace.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:14 AM   #15

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

after running hundreds of night fire ranges. If tracers are richosheing then all the others are too.

Muzzle flash from an m-16 is almost non-existent. I got a camcorder from a buddy once because I wanted to film a night fire at fort hood. It didn't have the night vision so there was nothing but a bunch of noise and a blank screen. Not even the tracers showed up on it. But if you were standing on the firing line you didn't see muzzle flash all that much either unless you knew exactly where to look.

I Hated NVG's and shooting with them on was an even bigger pain in the ares than shooting with an NBC suit on. NVG's were good for one thing trying to get me killed.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:38 AM   #16

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

matt g posted:

Quote:
You leave the illuminator on? That's worse than tracers.
Not too worried about it in regards to our current opposition. If we go against somebody that has the same level of equipment, then the rules of the game change a little. If the bad guys don't have NVGs, then they have no clue.

It's a great way to mark an area for air support too.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Never used the painted trace rounds but they do/did exist but not that effective as they show trace from the gun position and burn out fast. Only used the phospate rounds, they are lighter and not expected to be on target round but light up the direction of fire. As I know it is three live rounds and a trace.
Piney Mountain has a painted tip 22 tracer that we used to fool around with at the range. They wouldnt work well with semi-autos, but with bolt action rifles they were much fun--until a senior range member told us they were a big no-no. Privately he told us that if we come some evening after a nice rain, we could knock ourselves out if no other senior members were around. So, right now Im hoarding some 40 cal tracers that I can use in my carbine this spring. Let it snow!

Old 02-28-2010, 07:08 PM   #18

i have about 40...errr well like 30 now rounds of 7.62x54r tracer rounds...outta the 10ish i shot only like 3 or 4 actually lit up...i feel alil ripped off lol...just thought i'd share since i saw the thread lol

"Gun bans disarm victims, putting them at the mercy of murderers or terrorists who think nothing of breaking the gun laws."

"When guns are outlawed, only outlaws have guns"

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” - Sigmund Freud

"The 2nd Amendment...Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them!"

Old 03-01-2010, 12:13 AM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7622 Times on 3317 Posts
Likes Given: 1130

Gents- the PAINT of the tip of the bullet is NOT the tracer. It is the key to what KIND of bullet you have- and the color code varies from country to country. In the US, standard red was tracer, black was AP, but then started getting complex- there are duplex (two bullets in one case) Armor Piercing Incendiary Tracer, frangible bullet, and I have one pretty little 9mm for the AT-4 subcaliber trainer that looks very patriotic- red, white, and blue (subsonic 9mm loaded to duplicate trajectory of the AT-4 rocket)

Even if the paint is worn off, the tracer or incendiary component is still inside the bullet. It is ignited by the powder firing. Tracers pretty much go where the ball goes- their purpose is to show you where your bullets are going!

PS- clean your bore well after shooting tracer.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:16 AM   #20

what would green tipped be?

"Gun bans disarm victims, putting them at the mercy of murderers or terrorists who think nothing of breaking the gun laws."

"When guns are outlawed, only outlaws have guns"

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” - Sigmund Freud

"The 2nd Amendment...Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them!"