Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Toyota Recalls 3.8 Million Cars (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/toyota-recalls-3-8-million-cars-18697/)

cpttango30 09-30-2009 01:28 PM

Toyota Recalls 3.8 Million Cars

Toyota Recalls 3.8 Million Cars For Floor Mats Linked To Stuck Gas Pedals - The Two-Way - Breaking News, Analysis Blog : NPR

Toyota is recalling 3.8 million vehicles in the car maker's biggest U.S. recall for dealers to remove mats linked to a number of serious incidents, including a recent California crash in which a floor mat interfered with the accelerator, leading the vehicle to speed out of control, killing four people.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) issued a press release warning owners of the affected vehicles to take immediate action.

From a NHTSA press release:

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration today alerted Lexus and Toyota owners about conditions that could cause the accelerator to get stuck open under certain conditions. The agency strongly recommends taking out removable floor mats on the driver's side in certain models and not to replace them with any other mat, either from Toyota or any other brand.
"This is an urgent matter," said U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood. "For everyone's sake, we strongly urge owners of these vehicles to remove mats or other obstacles that could lead to unintended acceleration."
NHTSA notes that there continue to be reports of accelerator pedal clearance issues which provide the potential for an accelerator pedal to get stuck in the full open position. A stuck accelerator may result in very high vehicle speeds and a crash, which could cause serious injury or death.
NHTSA said that Toyota has announced that it will soon launch a safety recall of various model year vehicles to redress the problem. However the safety agency warned owners to remove all driver-side floor mats from the models listed below immediately as an interim safety measure in advance of the recall.
Toyota and Lexus vehicles affected by this consumer alert are:
2007-2010 Camry 2005-2010 Avalon 2004-2009 Prius 2005-2010 Tacoma 2007-2010 Tundra 2007-2010 ES 350 2006-2010 IS 250 and IS350
On August 28, a rental car with the suspect floor mats, a 2009 Lexus ES 350, sped out of control, killing a California Highway Patrolman Mark Saylor and his family.

The accident received a lot of attention because a backseat passenger made a 911call which was released by authorities.

The car maker had an earlier recall involving 2007 and 2008 models involving floor mats but the size of the present recall suggests Toyota realizes the problem is likely far greater than it originally thought.

orangello 09-30-2009 05:34 PM

What cracks me up is that Nissan had this problem with sentras for 2002 & some other years, depending on trim level. They replaced the floormats & installed an anchor on the driver's side. I almost had mine done again after buying my sentra used; the dealer offered & didn't realize it already had the anchor. I just never made it back over there to rook them of their floormats.

I bleve the pedal design is/was partially to blame on the sentras, and probably on the toyotas too.

I'll have to call mom about her avalon.

Hey-you-guys 09-30-2009 06:53 PM

These people who are going out of control just needed to shut off the ignition or put the car in neutral as soon as the accelerator pedal gets stuck.

orangello 09-30-2009 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hey-you-guys (Post 168177)
These people who are going out of control just needed to shut off the ignition or put the car in neutral as soon as the accelerator pedal gets stuck.

I agree it would be a sorry reason to wreck, but killing the engine kills powerbrakes and powersteering and if done incorrectly could lock the steering column. Putting the car in neutral would have your engine bouncing off the rev limiter, but would be a relatively safe solution.

ktmboyz 09-30-2009 09:56 PM

The vehicles affected by this campaign are probably the same ones with s--t rolling around on the floor, hamburgers under the seat, and stuff spilled everywhere.
Can you really tell me you wouldn't notice that your floor mat keeps getting pushed up toward the pedals ?? I see it all the time in vehicles, its people to lazy to bend over and pull it back or toss it out because its all curled up.
Sounds about the same as fords tire recall because people don't notice that their tires are half flat then they have a sidewall blow out.

toolman 10-01-2009 01:23 AM

From the nice folks who brought you Pearl Harbor...