Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Toy Soldier disarmed at airport

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 08:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Toy Soldier disarmed at airport

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Soldier toy disarmed at airport

Quote:
A doll caused a security alert at an American airport because its two-inch plastic gun was considered a dangerous weapon.

Judy Powell, 55, from Walton on the Hill, Surrey, bought the GI Joe toy in Las Vegas and packed it in her hand luggage.

But security staff at Los Angeles International Airport refused to let Mrs Powell on board the plane with the replica rifle.

Mrs Powell had to put the gift - minus the rifle - in her suitcase so it could go in the aircraft's hold.

Mrs Powell said: "I was simply stunned when I realised they were serious.

"Security examined the toy as if it was going to shoot them and looked at the rifle.

"I was really angry to start with because of the absurdity of the situation.

"But then I saw the funny side of it and thought this was simple lunacy."

A spokesman for Los Angeles International Airport said: "We have instructions to confiscate anything that looks like a weapon or a replica.

"If GI Joe was carrying a replica then it had to be taken from him."
I feel safer....

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-06-2010, 09:04 AM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
"Security examined the toy as if it was going to shoot them and looked at the rifle.

"I was really angry to start with because of the absurdity of the situation.

"But then I saw the funny side of it and thought this was simple lunacy."

Bureaucracy = lunacy most of the time

But he DOES look like one baad mofo you gotta admit!

What would they do about a brickarms toy? lol

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 01-06-2010, 09:13 AM   #3

Liked 3731 Times on 1821 Posts
Likes Given: 13267

I'm still irate over those fu**tards in the TSA becoming Federal Employees. The most useless, lazy, moronic bunch of workers in the history of workers. F***ing jackoffs!

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

My AR15 Build - Range Report
My AR458SOCOM Build

Old 01-06-2010, 10:59 AM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

I have seen 2 TSA employees that were good people. These two guys were in their late 50's early 60's Their uniforms were pressed and creased they had a belt on and were respectful and knew their job inside and out.

All others were rude idiots I watched one walk around with one hand on his pants because they were so big 5 maybe 6 sizes to big he had no belt uniform looked like it was pulled out of the bottom of a dirty laundy pile. Well all of them around the DC area look like that.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:45 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
All others were rude idiots I watched one walk around with one hand on his pants because they were so big 5 maybe 6 sizes to big he had no belt uniform looked like it was pulled out of the bottom of a dirty laundy pile. Well all of them around the DC area look like that.
Central Govt influence, huh tango?!

Our docks & airports are hotbeds of corruption and criminal activity. People with links to outlaw bikie-gangs, those with violence and firearms convictions, organised crime, asian drug syndicates, ineffective internal security passes...the list goes on

Quote:
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 01-06-2010, 12:18 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Mass retardation at its best. That is whu I HATE flying through Atlanta, the absolute worst TSA dirtbags. Especially through the international terminal. Is "dirtbag" hyphenated?

Old 01-06-2010, 03:44 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly68 View Post
Is "dirtbag" hyphenated?
Don't believe so.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:18 PM   #8

Liked 38 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hey guys a little information for your use.

TSA has no authority to take anything away from you, they can refuse to admit it into the secure area but they have no seizure authority. The take items from people like pocket knives, the GI Joe toy gun, etc. by not telling the traveling public that they are abandoning the item. I found this out because of an incident where they tried to take two of my hand grenades from my training kit. I requested a receipt from TSA for my report of loss of government equipment and they told me they did not give receipts. I asked how they were seizing my grenades without a receipt for chain of custody and they said they were not seizing them that I was abandoning them. I said bull **** I was not abandoning the grenades and they said they were not allowing the the grenades on the aircraft. I gave the grenades to the Gulfport Police for training aids and told the TSA idiot that they were not getting the items. A month later I was fined $500 dollars by TSA for “smuggling” the grenades into the airport. I had declared them to TSA, identified myself as a federal LEO on official TDY and the training kit was government owned but their report did not reflect that. BTW I never was allowed a copy of TSA’s report. The fine was negated about 6 months ago and the incident happened 3 years ago. This is how I found out that TSA cannot seize any items, you have the right to keep anything they don’t allow and take it back to your car, put it in your checked bag or give it away like I did. Oh, did I mention I was armed and am authorized to fly armed and he was worried about my training grenades in my checked bags.

Bottom line is don’t let these idiots get away with taking things from you and perpetuating their inflated sense of authority.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:53 AM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzscubie View Post
Hey guys a little information for your use.

TSA has no authority to take anything away from you, they can refuse to admit it into the secure area but they have no seizure authority. The take items from people like pocket knives, the GI Joe toy gun, etc. by not telling the traveling public that they are abandoning the item. I found this out because of an incident where they tried to take two of my hand grenades from my training kit. I requested a receipt from TSA for my report of loss of government equipment and they told me they did not give receipts. I asked how they were seizing my grenades without a receipt for chain of custody and they said they were not seizing them that I was abandoning them. I said bull **** I was not abandoning the grenades and they said they were not allowing the the grenades on the aircraft. I gave the grenades to the Gulfport Police for training aids and told the TSA idiot that they were not getting the items. A month later I was fined $500 dollars by TSA for “smuggling” the grenades into the airport. I had declared them to TSA, identified myself as a federal LEO on official TDY and the training kit was government owned but their report did not reflect that. BTW I never was allowed a copy of TSA’s report. The fine was negated about 6 months ago and the incident happened 3 years ago. This is how I found out that TSA cannot seize any items, you have the right to keep anything they don’t allow and take it back to your car, put it in your checked bag or give it away like I did. Oh, did I mention I was armed and am authorized to fly armed and he was worried about my training grenades in my checked bags.

Bottom line is don’t let these idiots get away with taking things from you and perpetuating their inflated sense of authority.

"Smuggling grenades"?

Dirtbags indeed...probably just wanted you to declare you were 'abandoning' them so one of those jokers could their hands on em

Quote:

Old 01-07-2010, 09:54 AM   #10

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Can we hand out Darwin awards to TSA employees? I mean literally....Walk up to them hand them a small card that states they are the recipiant of a Darwin Award and need to report to X place at Y time to recieve it. I wonder how many would show up?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer