Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Tower for Desktop Passed Away

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2010, 11:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default Tower for Desktop Passed Away

The tower for my desktop finally give up the ghost and went to PC heaven.

I've been running my business off this cheap laptop for several months now and I'm more than done using a laptop for my office.

Also, I occasionally like PC gaming and want to run some of these new power hungry games that I've seen over the last year or so that my older PC couldn't run.

Now I think theres more than a few persons here on FTF that know computers like they know the back of their hand and I would be greatful with their insight and reccomendations for what I need / want.

What I want is a powerful PC gamer with uber graphics and sound, and what I need is an office computer that will run Autocad full version along with some other propritory engineering programs. Also, I most likely will, from time to time, want to interface it into the AV amp and 55 inch 3D HDTV in my home theatre for pure gaming pleasure.

Whats your thoughts for whats on the shelf to buy and your thoughts on having one custom built?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-22-2010, 11:34 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 993 Times on 584 Posts
Likes Given: 311

I would suggest building your own. For a high end gaming machine your talking 1500-2500 if you build it yourself vs 6000-8000 if you buy it from a vendor. But you get a warranty with a vendor. As for what the best parts to put in it are, check out Tomshardware and Maximumpc for the answers.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 08-22-2010, 11:52 PM   #3

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

You can build a mid to high end game comp for about 600-2500 depending on what you want in it. Check out what they got at Tigerdirect.com

Old 08-23-2010, 12:04 AM   #4

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

If you want a high end gaming PC here is the one I would go for. Origin Genesis Desktop Computer Review - PCWorld

Building is not so much of a savings any more. I would just look at getting a nice higher end Media center then get a good ATI or Nvidia card with HDMI out and get yourself an HD monitor. I got my wife an HP with an ATI HD card and an Acer HD Monitor and it is amazing what it looks like.

For a office PC running auto cad your going to want to look for one with a ATI's FIRE GL or NVIDIA Quadro. These cards don't come cheap either. They are built for the use of autocad and design type software. If you want the best of the best for a workstation Autocad computer Look at a Mac Pro. These machines will stop any windows machine into the ground. http://www.apple.com/macpro/

Last edited by cpttango30; 08-23-2010 at 12:09 AM.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:09 AM   #5

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaww View Post
Check out what they got at Tigerdirect.com
+1 on that! Tigerdirect and/or Newegg.com

Check out their gaming PCs categories
TigerDirect
NewEgg
“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 08-23-2010, 03:08 AM   #6
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1688 Times on 965 Posts
Likes Given: 3454

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsmelEduardo View Post
+1 on that! Tigerdirect and/or Newegg.com

Check out their gaming PCs categories
TigerDirect
NewEgg
Add another Directron-Best Discount Computer Super Store-CPU Computer Parts Cases PC Hardware Software Power Supply Houston Motherboards Hard Drives Network Memory Repair Used Texas Compare Lowest Prices Cheapest Reviews Guide & Mwave.com - Buy Computer Parts, Hardware, Software, Electronics, Karaoke Home Entertainment, Cell Phones, Netbooks, Notebooks, iPods, Apple Computers and more at the lowest prices and best service from Mwave.com

I am still in old school world of the 478 P4 models. Wife has advised 4 computers is enough!

Also, look for last years parts for deals; buying the immediate new is the same as buying a new car and the price drops.

Product reviews and prices, software downloads, and tech news - CNET & Technology News, Analysis, Comments and Product Reviews for IT Professionals | ZDNet for reviews

Old 08-23-2010, 05:30 AM   #7

Liked 374 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 59

all I can say is "Alienware"...

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Old 08-23-2010, 04:32 PM   #8
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1688 Times on 965 Posts
Likes Given: 3454

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSadPanda View Post
all I can say is "Alienware"...
True, just too expensive for a budget build!

Old 08-23-2010, 09:35 PM   #9

Liked 374 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcountry02 View Post
True, just too expensive for a budget build!
Yea thats definitely true!! But it sounds like money isn't really this guys problem when you read what all he has to use it with

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Old 08-24-2010, 04:27 AM   #10

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSadPanda View Post
Yea thats definitely true!! But it sounds like money isn't really this guys problem when you read what all he has to use it with
True, budget is not a problem as this thing will be capped out on my companys taxes and Uncle Sam will pay for alot of it for office supplies on the Schedule C. I cleared this with my accountant.

I ended up having a custom tower built. So far I'm in for $2818.23 for componets I was directed to buy at Frys from the Intel hardware engineer thats going to build it. That includes the Windows 7 Ultimate operating system. He's going to supply the rest of the few componets for the build for about $400.00. No charge for his time as we have had somewhat of a business relationship for several years now.

In about 5 days or less form now I should have my new tower and ready to rock.

Oh, and the Intel guy says this tower should smoke anything Alienware has to offer.