Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Tourist arrested after trying to check in gun at WTC site (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/tourist-arrested-after-trying-check-gun-wtc-site-54356/)

CourtJester 12-29-2011 11:09 PM

Tourist arrested after trying to check in gun at WTC site

Thank God they saved us from that law abiding citizen.
We can sleep in ease now...

Tourist tried to check in gun at WTC site - US news - msnbc.com

Quote:

A tourist from Tennessee reportedly thought she could check her loaded gun at New York City's Sept. 11 memorial.

The New York Post says 39-year-old Meredith Graves was visiting the memorial at the World Trade Center site on Dec. 22 and noticed a sign that said "No guns allowed." The Post reports that Graves asked police where she could check her loaded pistol. She was arrested on a gun-possession charge.

Graves has a legal permit to carry a weapon in Tennessee, but New York's gun laws are stricter.

The Post says Graves posted bond and is due back in court March 19. She faces 3 years in prison if convicted.

“You’d think states would reciprocate with the Second Amendment. She has a license to carry in Tennessee,” her mother-in-law told the Post.

The newspaper says her attorney at Legal Aid did not return phone calls.

downsouth 12-29-2011 11:20 PM

Welcomed to the "PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF NEW YORK". Simply can not wait for global warming to melt the polar ice caps and raise the sea level. Bye bye New York City and L.A. I' m letting my f150 idle for a couple hours tonght. Problem is man made global warming is just more liberal BS. Like gun control makes for safer cities.

trip286 12-29-2011 11:25 PM

Wow, I'm glad they took her off the streets, I'm sure she was planning an interstate crime spree.

countryboy 12-29-2011 11:59 PM

D@mned for trying to do the right thing. Granted, irresponsible gun ownership on her part for not knowing the laws of the state she was visiting, but excessive is remotely strong enough a word. Bet she'll never trust a police officer again (or return to new York). Yet another good reason not to venture into large cities... Group think lowers IQ's exponentially.

EXPENDABLE

shadamai 12-30-2011 01:42 AM

She should have researched more before her trip, but where is the common sense here? It is like the child who realizes he accidentally brought a pocketknife to school, turns it in to the teacher right away, and is subsequently suspended/expelled. All it does is punish people for trying to do the right thing.

JDAMSrUS 12-30-2011 01:59 AM

I could have swore I got an email from the NRA stating a bill had been passed that enforced concealed carry state reciprocity. Every state but Hawaii now honors other states permits. Did I misread this or what???

Mosin 12-30-2011 02:08 AM

So what, she made a mistake... The mistake of trusting the police. that's a 3 1/2 year lesson she's gonna have to learn. Hopefully she'll learn her lesson next time and not interact with the police at all.

Papa_Woody 12-30-2011 02:14 AM

Horrible horrible horrible...

I bet that cop was excited too

JonM 12-30-2011 02:18 AM

she broke the rule of the three S's. shoot-shovel-shutup

c3shooter 12-30-2011 02:25 AM

JDAMS- afraid you are mistaken. VERY mistaken. That measure WAS passed by the House. There is NO similar measure in the Senate. Unless they pass it, it will not go to the President for his signature. Until THAT happens, it is not law. And the holdout state will not be Hawaii, but Illinois, which HAS no concealed carry permit system.