Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Tougher Gun Legislation Required? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/tougher-gun-legislation-required-11737/)

ShelleyOshea487 03-11-2009 01:29 PM

Tougher Gun Legislation Required?

After the incident in Alabama, I came across this blog entry. Does it make your blood boil, or do you think he has a point? :-

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

orangello 03-11-2009 02:44 PM

That annoys me.

There are a few holes in that story: 1) "urban gang members" only kill people they know or associate with or "extraordinarily unlucky" people? So, if some "urban gang member" with a gun robs somebody, that person is "extraordinarily unlucky"? Where do they think the "urban gang members" are going to get their money; they don't usually have other jobs? 2)U.S. citizens are protected by the second amendment endorsed by the government formed by the citizens; how this relates to "an eye for an eye" from the Bible escapes me. The bible is not a Constitution endorsed and accepted by the populace of a democratic republic. :rolleyes: 3)Who is this jerk to say what a "proper evaluation" of a potential gun owner is or is not? 4) Who is this jerk to say that hunting or target practice is the only "valid reason" to have a gun & that self defense (with an S limey!) has no merit. 5) Could i not kill a person with a classic "sporting" arm such as an over & under shotgun for shooting trap? If it can be used to hunt, it can be used to kill a person, but it can do neither without a human.

So, all in all, this chump appears to advocate "neutering" our society (his words) & knuckling under to any bully or thief to make the US a safer place. Wuss out on your own island chump; i'll be keeping my balls!

spittinfire 03-11-2009 03:43 PM

I think he is very misinformed on many issues as stated above. It takes a living force to take a life, be it a human or animal(My Way News - Study: Belligerent chimp proves animals make plans.
A gun, kife, rock, piece of pipe is not going to just get up and attack someone.
Also, the idea of eye for an eye was cancelled in the New Testament, although it didn't take away punishment, only took a different view. It still supports the death penalty.

skullcrusher 03-11-2009 03:43 PM

Tough gun legislation did not stop this.

Germany School Shooting

Pretty sure Germany has tough gun laws, and still a 17 year killed 15.

Lunatics are everywhere. Had he not had a gun, he could have used a sword.

bkt 03-11-2009 06:28 PM

Blood boiling.

Laws only work on people who obey laws, and laws never, ever deny access to anything for people who do not obey laws.

Individuals with criminal intent will always find a way, legal or not, to get the tools they need to commit their crimes.

In the case of gun control laws, innocent, law-abiding people are the only ones hurt: they are denied legal access to firearms so they are turned into unarmed victims-to-be by those who serve us in various legislatures.

johnsteele 03-11-2009 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShelleyOshea487 (Post 80730)
After the incident in Alabama, I came across this blog entry. Does it make your blood boil, or do you think he has a point? :-

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

My response/comment on his site:
Quote:

So how do you explain the shooting in Germany on the same day? Its rare that these kind of incidents happen so close together in a "gun crazed" society like ours and a "sensible rigid gun control" nation like Germany. But there we are, he same kind of incident in two diametrically opposite cultures and all you can do is call for us to abandon our Constitution.

Its also true that the UK "gave up" guns so what are Americans afraid of that our British cousins are not? Well, how about your astronomical homicide, rape and violent crime rates since yo did so? How about people in your country who are arrested for protecting their homes and families. How about people living in fear because there is nothing else they can do? We have both "must issue" concealed carry and the "castle doctrine" here in Florida and our homicide, rape and violent robbery rates have plummeted since we adopted those laws.

Taking away my guns and denying my Constitutional rights will NOT stop the criminals from getting guns or committing crimes, it hasn't stopped them in Britain; that's why they are called criminals.
Not my most thoughtful response but I was p*ssed when I read his sanctimonious lecture on America.

Dillinger 03-11-2009 07:15 PM

^^ *clapping* Well done John. I like that response quite nicely.

I bet you dollars to fish and chips that dude saw the headlines about the Germany shooting and went "Oh Sh!t, this is going to blow up in my face now" LOL

Excellent Job John - Really nice response....

Hot Sauce NARC 03-11-2009 08:03 PM

When Mr. Walters asked "So what are Americans afraid of that citizens of the UK arenít?" i said to myself, Im afraid of the greatest country in the world following suit with our effiminate cousins to the east. Im afraid of an America governed by cowards who would give up their values and centuries of tradition to cater to a raidical minority. Im afraid that one day people like Walters will win out, guns will be no more, and freedom along with democracy will soon follow.

alexw777 03-26-2009 04:48 PM

What Americans are afraid of

I attempt to answer my own question in my latest blog post:

Americans, indeed everyone in the world, is afraid. That's why you are so keen to hang on to your guns, because you are afraid and feel the need to defend yourself. The irony is that if you have a gun, you and your family are infinitely more likely to end up the victims of violent crime.

Have a look at the latest post, I've tried to address some of the points made. And, as to the massacre in Germany, this is not and has never been about bashing any particular nation; I chose America because it has such widespread and consistent gun related violence. One or two incidents in nations with a stricter approach to gun control do not constitute evidence of a failure in gun policy. Anecdotes are not data.

Oh, and to the individual referring to 'keeping his balls', it is that very insecure attitude that causes all these problems in the first place. Do you think you are any less of a man if you don't have a gun?

mpd8488 03-27-2009 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexw777 (Post 87237)
I attempt to answer my own question in my latest blog post:

Americans, indeed everyone in the world, is afraid. That's why you are so keen to hang on to your guns, because you are afraid and feel the need to defend yourself. The irony is that if you have a gun, you and your family are infinitely more likely to end up the victims of violent crime.

Have a look at the latest post, I've tried to address some of the points made. And, as to the massacre in Germany, this is not and has never been about bashing any particular nation; I chose America because it has such widespread and consistent gun related violence. One or two incidents in nations with a stricter approach to gun control do not constitute evidence of a failure in gun policy. Anecdotes are not data.

Oh, and to the individual referring to 'keeping his balls', it is that very insecure attitude that causes all these problems in the first place. Do you think you are any less of a man if you don't have a gun?

Please cite your statistics that in the U.S. the guns I own correlate with a higher chance of being a victim of violent crime. This may be the case in Britain because for the most part, the people carrying firearms there are violent criminals who, as you pointed out, are very likely to get themselves hurt. If you separate law abiding gun owners from criminals who have obtained their guns illegally you will find that law abiding gun owners by and large are not getting themselves shot. In the U.S. law abiding gun owners far, far outnumber criminals

Violent criminals, especially gang members, are involved in a lot of gun violence. Nobody can dispute that, but that is not the fault of firearms. Those individuals made poor decisions that led them down violent paths. A gangbanger's fear is nothing like the "fear" of law abiding gun owners. A gang member actually lives in constant fear because people are trying to kill them on a regular basis. A law abiding gun owners "fear" is better described as a desire to take reasonable steps to be prepared for an unforeseen situation. For us, owning guns is not burdensome and does not interfere with any of our activities. Aside from going to the shooting range, our lives would be the same with or without firearms. None of live in constant fear of a home invasion. I don't feel less secure when I don't have a gun with me because, like you say in your blog, we all have to live our lives without worrying. I just happen to enjoy shooting and it happens to double as a useful tool in the unlikely event that I may need it. When I'm not shooting, my guns are out of sight an out of mind. Just to be clear on that last point, I don't constantly think of the ways I can be victimized and alter my lifestyle accordingly. I live my life pretty much the same way I did before becoming a gun owner. Now, I simply have another tool at my disposal should I find myself in a bad situation

Do you keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen? If so is it because you are afraid the your home will catch on fire or is it because its a cheap and easy safety measure? Do you keep a first aid kit because you are constantly afraid of getting hurt or because you realize that accidents happen and sometimes you hurt yourself? It all falls under the category of the Boy Scout motto to "be prepared."

If we were truly afraid as you assume in your blog our homes would all be barricaded and we would all be driving armored vehicles. For the most part we live normal lives just like everyone else. A psychological analysis of the typical gun owner won't reveal anything abnormal except perhaps a keener than usual interest in one's surroundings.