Top 3 Men who Ever Lived - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Top 3 Men who Ever Lived

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 09:19 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

Other than Jesus my top three would be
1. Robert E. Lee
2. Andrew Jackson
3. William Wallace (Braveheart)
My father and grandfather would be there, but I decided to pick historic figures

Old 02-24-2012, 09:23 PM   #32

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

It's your top three but, Andrew Jackson?

http://www.historynet.com/andrew-jackson-and-the-indian-removal-act.htm

Old 02-24-2012, 10:37 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth
He made the wrong decision on that one, but I wouldn't be living where I am if they didn't leave. I know that doesn't excuse his behavior but he is the last president who completely eliminated the national debt and he was a master dueler. Theodore Roosevelt could easily take his place, but I choose Andrew Jackson.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:51 PM   #34

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiahunter

He made the wrong decision on that one, but I wouldn't be living where I am if they didn't leave. I know that doesn't excuse his behavior but he is the last president who completely eliminated the national debt and he was a master dueler. Theodore Roosevelt could easily take his place, but I choose Andrew Jackson.
Georgia hunter, I agree with you on most every issue you post. This one, not so much. I also admired Old Hickory until I started reading more history than we were taught in school. He was the first "new generation" president. He was a great fighter and scratched his way from dirt beginnings. He moved the indians after it was ruled unconstitutional by the supreme court. He pretty much told the court, go get your army and stop me. So in mho he gets a big awe sh!t.

Not trying to pick on you, but Teddy Roosevelt started the progressive movement. He also was big on my list until I started looking deeper. You will be amazed and pissed off at what we were taught to be history in school when you look for yourself.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:17 PM   #35

Liked 1728 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Naming the top three of all time would take a heck of a lot of thought. The stretch of history is just too full of eligible candidates. Most of the ones mentioned by other posters surely deserve honerable mention. While I have really enjoyed Clint Eastwood movies (and television), I don't think he would make my top three; sorry Clint.

I will narrow the choices with top three of the 20th century as an option.

My picks for that would be Albert Einstein, the most original thinker of the century.

Winston Churchill, though I don't think I would have liked him personally, he drug GB up by their boot-straps and saved England, providing a base for the US to assist the Soviet Union in beating the Nazis.

The third, but not in necessarily order, would be the American Soldier, Sailor, Airman and Marine of WWII. Without their sacrifice we would be living in a much different and uglier world.

Carl Sagan

Old 02-24-2012, 11:23 PM   #36

Liked 1728 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
Georgia hunter, I agree with you on most every issue you post. This one, not so much. I also admired Old Hickory until I started reading more history than we were taught in school. He was the first "new generation" president. He was a great fighter and scratched his way from dirt beginnings. He moved the indians after it was ruled unconstitutional by the supreme court. He pretty much told the court, go get your army and stop me. So in mho he gets a big awe sh!t.

Not trying to pick on you, but Teddy Roosevelt started the progressive movement. He also was big on my list until I started looking deeper. You will be amazed and pissed off at what we were taught to be history in school when you look for yourself.
Andy Jackson is an interesting choice. It is hard to condemn him for a lot of the decisions that he made if you consider them in the context of the time.
He would make my list if you were picking one of the three toughest bastages of his century. His testicules were made of Tennesee granite.

Carl Sagan

Old 02-24-2012, 11:27 PM   #37

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

1) davy crockett-great back country politician and patriot.
2) jim bowie-gave us one of the greatest weapons known to man-the bowie knife
3) Colonel Samuel Colt-made all men better than just rock throwin cave monkies....my signature says it all

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 02-25-2012, 12:34 AM   #38

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
With all respect, if you judge historical figures on this type of scale, you can't honor a single original founding father because they all lived during a timeframe when slavery was considered the norm.

it's an apples and oranges comparison.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:54 AM   #39

Liked 750 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Benjamin Franklin- Inventor, diplomat, humorist, community leader and number 1 in my mind.
James Madison- Father of the U.S.Constitution
Galileo Galilei- it's been said he was responsible for the birth of modern science.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:01 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth

Yeah, I know both of them had their flaws, but if you look past their flaws they were pretty interesting people. I like Jackson because he did something no president has done again, eliminate the national debt (correct me if I'm wrong). I like Roosevelt because he was an avid outdoorsman and he made a big push for the national parks, all of which I enjoy. I completely forgot about Mr. Davy Crockett and would put him above Jackson and Roosevelt. Stonewall Jackson would also be a candidate for the top three.