Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Tom Gresham on Clueless Costa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 06:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 4 Posts

Default Tom Gresham on Clueless Costa

Special Feature by Tom Gresham;
http://www.guntalk.com/site.php?pageID=15&newsID=474

I was surprised that Bob Costas (hereafter to be known as CluelessCostas) went on an anti-gun rant at halftime during the December 2 Sunday Night Football broadcast. He usually, I thought, does better research than that. At least, I thought that before now. Since I don't know the facts of the stories he reports, I have always considered him to be a reliable source, but this venture into knee-jerk reaction without a shred of research makes me wonder if I've gotten the straight story from him on other issues.

His editorial took the position that if Jovan Belcher had not had a gun, he would not have been able to commit murder or suicide. This is nonsense on the face of it. Fists, feet, knives (can anyone say O.J.?) and other tools can and are used to commit murder. In fact, the FBI categorizes all those as instruments of murder in its Uniform Crime Reports.

To see CluelessCostas blithely skip into the middle of this tragedy with such shallow and demonstrably false assumptions belies his reputation as a heretofore respected reporter.

The mountain of evidence to contradict his anti-gun assertions looms large and would have been easy to find. Take just two points which belie the charge that the gun drives suicides and murders.

First, there is the comparison with Japan. That island-nation prohibits most citizens from owning guns. It would be the perfect Petri dish for showing how suicides can be prevented by banning guns. The reality turns that on its head, since the suicide rate in Japan approaches (sometimes exceeds) twice that of the U.S. No guns in Japan, but twice the rate of suicides of the U.S., which has perhaps 300 million guns.

Second, there is the example in the U.S. of the effect (or lack of effect) on murder rates when people carry loaded guns. Twenty years ago few states had laws permitting citizens to carry loaded firearms for their protection. After Florida passed what is known as "shall-issue" concealed carry (requiring the state to issue a permit to any qualified applicant), almost all states followed. In that 20-year period the number of people with carry permits has grown beyond six million, plus several states which require no permit at all for a person to carry a gun for protection.

Over a nearly identical time span, the murder rate in the United States has fallen dramatically. There are millions more guns, millions more gun owners, and millions more people carrying guns for protection, but the murder rate has fallen by nearly half. Even if one doesn't believe that the concealed carry movement actually caused this drop, it would be difficult for anyone to ignore that -- at a minimum -- adding millions of guns, gun owners, and concealed carry participants did not increase the murder rate, which is what CluelessCostas would have you believe.

Should we really be surprised at this? Probably not. CluelessCostas is from New York, has armed security protecting him, and appears to be convinced in the truth of his own ignorance-based bias. Further, he describes himself as a liberal, as he did in a May 26, 2007 opinion piece declaring President Bush to be unqualified for the office. We never are surprised when the clueless elite call attention to themselves by dancing in the blood of innocents. For some reason, I expected more of Costas, though on reflection, I'm not sure why.

As responsible gun owners, and as members of the Gun Talk Truth Squad where we never just shrug and let lies go unchallenged, what can we do about this widely-broadcast screed? Speak up.

First step would be to send an email with your thoughts to the NFL, which produced this game. Send a message to help@profootballtalk.com , as a start. Next, talk about this with your friends. Some of them won't know the facts I've related above, and will react to Costas with "well, that sounds reasonable." The notion that the earth is flat was reasonable until it faced research and scientific fact. The research and the science show us that more guns in the U.S. equals less crime.

Respond with cogent comments to every online news story about the Costas rant. Well-mannered comments, backed with specific facts, do change opinions.

Speak up at every opportunity. Bring the facts to this discussion and you'll often be met with "I didn't know that." Speaking the truth, with the facts to back it up, is what the Gun Talk Truth Squad is all about.

To stay silent is to agree. To leave this lie unchallenged it to allow it to become the truth.

Speak up.

-- Tom Gresham

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I agree. Bob Costas has lost my respect.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #3

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Costas is a waste of human skin.

I wouldn't walk across the street to piss on him if he were on fire!

With that said,

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
Txhillbilly Likes This 
Old 12-04-2012, 06:33 PM   #4

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Costas is a waste of human skin.

I wouldn't walk across the street to piss on him if he were on fire!

With that said,
I would-to poor diesel on his burning self. He should stick to strictly callin the game in front of him

Old 12-04-2012, 10:57 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2686 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Go to ESPN.com and post your comments. If enough people speak up, maybe he will shut up.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-04-2012, 11:24 PM   #6

Liked 163 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 260

I already sent several emails to the top Brass at NBC so ESPN is next on the agenda. Costas needs to be fired just like Hank Williams JR., except I think Hank should have kept his job.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:42 PM   #7

Likes Given: 39

I am watching 3 program's on NBC Sports Network or NBCSN and they are Gun's and Gear, Gun Talk TV and 3Gun Nation. This same channel also airs Costas Tonight. Huh, seems a little hypocritical of Bob not demanding his own company quit carrying such show dealing with firearms. Oh well, typical TV celebrity.

Member of NRA, GOA, USCCA, USACarry, WVSRPA, WVCDL, IAAI, WVIAAI and FOPA #5 Chemical City Lodge.

CWP Holder - Saint Albans, Kanawha County, West Virginia

Montani Semper Liberi and Molon Labe!

Non Sibi Sed Patriae......... Not for self, but for Country