Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Tires

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2009, 04:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Default Tires

I know this is a gun forum. But, I wanted to share something with everyone. I encourage everyone to check their tires on all the cars and truck regularly. This is a big pet peeve of mine when looking at used cars or just cars and truck in general. I used to be a tire man at one time. My step-dad has been a tire man for a long time. Every car should have a air pressure gauge in the glove box or in the trunk in a car care kit with spare bulbs flares flash light and many other things.

I was checking my tires after getting home from California and here is what I found.

Front Passenger side tire.

Front Driver side tire.

the driver side is the worse as it is showing steel belts. These tires are just about 3 years old and only have 33,000 miles on them. The rear tires are looking fine but they don't do anything but support the back of the car.

Please for your and your families safety check your tires twice a month if not once a week. Check them for tread depth, inflation and any damage to the tread or sideway area. Your tires are what hold your car, truck or SUV on the road. Damage like seen above can cause a blow out or could cause you to lose traction in the rain or snow.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-25-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8374 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

MAN! That is UGLY !!! Ref: belt showing- when alignment gets off just a smidge, radials seem to eat their way to the belt real fast.

Besides the tire pressure guage, do all y'all know how to use a penny to check for tread depth?

The two things most drivers CAN do to improve fuel mileage is 1. Change the air filter, and 2. Keep your tires properly inflated.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 07-25-2009, 04:37 PM   #3

That sucks. I never really thought of checking my tires. But, my car is a rolling turd. So, I really only drive it to work (barely a mile away). My mom lets me use her car if shes home.

S.S.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun Shooter View Post
That sucks. I never really thought of checking my tires. But, my car is a rolling turd. So, I really only drive it to work (barely a mile away). My mom lets me use her car if shes home.

S.S.
The turd can get you dead as quick as a Vette. In less than a mile. Check them hoss. Like to keep all of us around.

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

Don't blame the tool, blame the fool.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:01 PM   #5

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I think something like 75% or more of fatal accidents happen within 2 miles of home.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:12 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I run MTs, chunking is just part of the game. Glad to see that you made it home okay, that's pretty ugly.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:17 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

With my little car, i have to keep a close eye on my tires. Anybody pushing their tires past a receding hairline & into baldness should remember that drunks aren't the only selfish danger putting other drivers at risk.

I always wonder why i never hear about many people changing out their brake fluid when it gets a few years on it, brake pads yes, oil yes, but the stuff that makes the caliper move, notsomuch.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I think something like 75% or more of fatal accidents happen within 2 miles of home.
Very true. Dec 23rd 2006, a kid I played baseball with for many year died a mile or less from his house. Went around a curve too fast. Hit a tree. Probably had nothing to do with his tires, but just giving an example of your post that I quoted.

But ya, monday before work I'll check my tires. Thanks Tango.

S.S.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:42 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=cpttango30;134252] Every car should have a air pressure gauge in the glove box or in the trunk in a car care kit with spare bulbs flares flash light and many other things.

You are wise beyond your years!! Flares?? I remember when they were for sale for .25ea. in dept. stores back in the 60's... you could also ask a cop and they would generally give you a few for free. But where the hell do you get them nowadays???

I was checking my tires after getting home from California and here is what I found.

That sure as hell doesn't look like "normal" tire wear... you're lucky you didn't have a blow out!

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-25-2009, 08:47 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
That sure as hell doesn't look like "normal" tire wear... you're lucky you didn't have a blow out!
They do look a bit overworn at the edges, under-inflation perhaps?