Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Is It Time To Drive 55 Again?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2008, 05:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Is It Time To Drive 55 Again?

With Gas Prices Rising and the Planet Warming, Is It Time To Drive 55 Again?

May 22, 2008 —

Congress adopted a nationwide 55 mph speed limit law during the oil embargo of the 1970s and threatened to withhold highway funding for any state that didn't comply. It repealed the law 13 years ago, when oil was cheap and gas plentiful. But with prices going through the roof and everyone worried about global warming, there are increasing calls for Congress to bring back the double-nickel speed limit.

Advocacy groups like drive55.org say rolling the speed limit back to 55 will save fuel, reduce pollution and save lives. It seems logical, but not everyone is convinced slower speeds bring any real benefit, and the debate is heating up.

"Sheer physics tell you lower speeds equal better fuel economy, fewer injuries and lower emissions," said Justin McNaull, director of state relations for AAA. "But what happens when you change the speed limit is a little less clear."

It depends upon who you want to believe.

Connecticut adopted the nation's first vehicular speed limit 107 years ago today - setting the maximum speed at 12 in the city and 15 in the country - and people have been ignoring them ever since. Congress set the limit at 55 mph under the National Maximum Speed Law of 1974. The law was repealed 19 years later and the states allowed to set their own limits. Most of them bumped it up to 65 mph, although some went to 75 mph and there are stretches of highway in west Texas where you can cruise at 80.

The U.S. Department of Energy says gas mileage plummets above 60 mph and says every 5 mph above that speed is akin to paying an additional $0.20 per gallon for gas. But the American Heritage Foundation claims 12 years of 55 mph speed limits cut fuel consumption by just 1 percent. After Congress repealed the National Maximum Speed Law and 33 states raised their speed limits, the Cato Institute said traffic deaths dropped to a record low.

More than fuel economy and traffic deaths are at stake now. "Emissions increase pretty appreciably above 55," McNaull says. drive55.org claims Washington state would cut CO2 emissions by 10 percent if it cut its 70 mph speed limit by 15 mph. But even here, the evidence is debated. The Automobile Association in England claims reducing the speed limit from 30 mph to 20 on residential roads would increase CO2 emission by more than 10%.

drive55.org also says the average speed people travel on the highway has been rising for 20 years. McNaull notes that advances in vehicle deign, such as better windows and sound proofing have changed peoples' sense of how fast they're going, which is one reason people regularly exceed the posted speed limit. "Doing 60 mph in a 2008 vehicle feels a lot different than in the vehicles our grandparents drove."

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/GlobalWarming/story?id=4911100&page=1

Three groups spend other people's money: children, thieves, and politicians. All three need supervision. —DICK ARMEY

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-23-2008, 06:38 AM   #2

In our microwave society, do you really think anyone would commit political suicide by trying to slow down this instant gratification country?

Liberals And Moderates Hate Me!!

Just remember, Hitler gave great speeches too.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:45 PM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Nope......

9x18=Makarov

Old 05-23-2008, 07:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
Nope......
I'll second that Scott

IN A WORLD OF COMPROMISE SOME DON'T H&K
GOD BLESS THE SECOND AMENDMENT :D :D
GOD BLESS THE NRA :D :D
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
VOTE PRO GUN ONLY
SUPPORT THE SECOND AMENDMENT

Old 05-23-2008, 08:02 PM   #5

I say no too. Also it's the politician's fault we're in this mess anyway.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:12 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I don't know if driving 55 again is the answer, and I don't know if I blame the politicians completely. What I do know is the next liberal son of a b1tch who says something @ssnine like "It's a war for oil" is going to get beat to death with the gas pump nozzle!

I might start carrying a piece of rubber gas hose with a couple ball bearings in it just in case it happens indoors... LOL

I paid almost $4/gallon for plain old unleaded two days ago and damn near puked when I saw the total. Good thing I only have to fill up about once every week to 10 days.

JD

Old 05-23-2008, 08:46 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2686 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

I have not tried a tank full at 55mph but I do get 2 more mph at 70 than I do at 75.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:03 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8604 Times on 3730 Posts
Likes Given: 1322

If you really want to do something that for MOST of us will give you an instant improvement in fuel economy, there are two things you can do- will probably cost you less than $5. #1- check the air pressure in your tires. How long since you checked them? If they lose 1/2 to 1 lb a month, you are probably low about 6-12 lbs. #2. Throw a clean air filter in there- now. If your engine cannot get air, it will burn more gas- poorly.

And for the genius that was proclaiming that drilling for oil in ANWR would result in deforestation- Please run a Google image search for ANWR- I have been there. The whole wildlife reserve is larger than 10 of the US States- and try to find a tree. They don't really grow THAT far North.

Our fuel prices are a result of several things- the dollar being down on the global market, and the US govt taxing the hell out of gasoline & diesel. When the politicians were talking about the PROFITS-( obscene word, apparently) that the oil companies are making, did not hear them mention that the FEDERAL taxes on a gallon of gas are twice the profit that the oil companies make per gallon. Add to that a lack of refining capacity (Thank you EPA- we have not built a new refinery in over 20 years) and the "windfall profits tax" that penalizes oil producers if they pump cheaper oil from existing wells here in the US.
Don't know about you guys, but I am getting sick of Senators and Congresscritters that don't know JACK about running a business telling everyone how to run theirs. All I have seen them run is the US economy- into the ground!

Old 05-23-2008, 11:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
If you really want to do something that for MOST of us will give you an instant improvement in fuel economy, there are two things you can do- will probably cost you less than $5. #1- check the air pressure in your tires. How long since you checked them? If they lose 1/2 to 1 lb a month, you are probably low about 6-12 lbs. #2. Throw a clean air filter in there- now. If your engine cannot get air, it will burn more gas- poorly.

And for the genius that was proclaiming that drilling for oil in ANWR would result in deforestation- Please run a Google image search for ANWR- I have been there. The whole wildlife reserve is larger than 10 of the US States- and try to find a tree. They don't really grow THAT far North.

Our fuel prices are a result of several things- the dollar being down on the global market, and the US govt taxing the hell out of gasoline & diesel. When the politicians were talking about the PROFITS-( obscene word, apparently) that the oil companies are making, did not hear them mention that the FEDERAL taxes on a gallon of gas are twice the profit that the oil companies make per gallon. Add to that a lack of refining capacity (Thank you EPA- we have not built a new refinery in over 20 years) and the "windfall profits tax" that penalizes oil producers if they pump cheaper oil from existing wells here in the US.
Don't know about you guys, but I am getting sick of Senators and Congresscritters that don't know JACK about running a business telling everyone how to run theirs. All I have seen them run is the US economy- into the ground!
GOOD POST +++1

Three groups spend other people's money: children, thieves, and politicians. All three need supervision. —DICK ARMEY

Old 05-23-2008, 11:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post

All I can say is wow and dito.

Liberals And Moderates Hate Me!!

Just remember, Hitler gave great speeches too.