Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Threatened (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/threatened-74237/)

Old_Crow 10-13-2012 10:08 AM

Threatened

A local woman who has a reputation for being "out there" said her husband was going to shoot me. I was shooting a Mosin Nagant on a power line. There is a huge pile of dirt there I was using for a backstop.

When I was walking back home the woman flew up in her car and bluntly told me you almost died. My husband was going to shoot you. I calmly explained I had permission to shoot there and there was a safe backstop. She got very angry and came up with more threats. We aren't sure she has a husband.

She called 911. In her call she told the operator I threatened her. But she didn't leave her name or address. I called the sheriffs department myself and explained myself. The deputy asked did I feel threatened. I said," no but I don't want things to get out of hand, please send a deputy out." A few minutes later a deputy shows up. I explain myself. He wants to talk to the landowner where I was actually shooting, so I hop in the car with him and off we go.

We get there the deputy verifies that I had permission to shoot my rifle. Then he asks the landowner has this woman been a threat to the community. He said "no, but he knew I had problems with the woman in the past." The deputy and the landowner go to church together. At this point the deputy advises me I have the right to press charges on the woman.

I haven't pressed charges on the woman. She tried to run my dog down in the past. I have had another verbal squabble with her. I really hate to get law enforcement involved or mess up someones life. I have never pressed charges on anyone, even when I got my ear bit off in a brawl.

This is so close to home and getting so old I deeply considering going to the magistrate's office and seeing what legal actions I can pursue. Would you all press charges on this woman?

Sonic82 10-13-2012 10:37 AM

Tough one...and only you know the intensity...sometimes it's instinct rather than intellect.

Axxe55 10-13-2012 11:02 AM

given the womans actions and history, personally i would file charges. simply because she seems from your story to be mentally unbalanced and needs help before she either hurts someone or herself. might be the only way she gets the help she needs. if you press charges and she is arrested, and LE thinks she may be mentally unbalanced they will detain her for psych evaluation. if she isn't mentally unbalanced then she needs to be locked up for trying to make up stories and causing problems.

WebleyFosbery38 10-13-2012 11:07 AM

Unless you can work out a beer summit with her, I would probably press charges and let the chips fall where they may...

Old_Crow 10-13-2012 11:20 AM

I am going to the magistrate's office when they open at 8am. If I am up this early in the AM worried about this situation I need to do something. There will be no beer summit. When we have had problems in the past. She would not speak with me when prompted by a neighbor. Moreover, if I don't do something she might attempt to bait me into doing or saying something she can use legally.

Axxe55 10-13-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old_Crow (Post 974991)
I am going to the magistrate's office when they open at 8am. If I am up this early in the AM worried about this situation I need to do something. There will be no beer summit. When we have had problems in the past. She would not speak with me when prompted by a neighbor. Moreover, if I don't do something she might attempt to bait me into doing or saying something she can use legally.

some advice. if she makes any contact with you after visiting the magistrate's office document it and report it. make sure there is a trail and continued reports of her behaviour will add more credence to your side of the story. hope it all works out for you and good luck.

downsouth 10-13-2012 11:56 AM

I agree with axxe, you need to get this documented. If and when she totally comes unglued on you it may be that it will just be the two of you there. With documentation filed with the county, a clear and court worthy history of her behavior will aid you if it is your word against hers. Good luck.

vincent 10-13-2012 02:00 PM

Communicating threats IS a crime and may be grounds to have a protective order issued against her...

I know the order isn't going to keep her away but it WILL get her some shiny new wrist jewelry and free room and board for a night should she continue on in mega-bitch fashion...

Maybe after she's cuffed and stuffed once or twice, she'll decide busting your chops isn't so much fun after all...

JD1969 10-13-2012 03:16 PM

Yes, press charges for all the reasons stated above. A woman that is that screwy can really make life a PITA for you. Get the upper hand now while you can.

Mosin 10-13-2012 04:10 PM

You want it on record, documented the things she's done.
What if she drive up and started shooting and you had to put her down...
You'd wish then, that the court had documents of her antics.
Besides, in America can't you just have people committed to mental homes now a days?