Thoughts & Prayers....
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Thoughts & Prayers....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Thoughts & Prayers....

xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by slowryde45; 08-21-2010 at 11:58 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-14-2010, 05:43 PM   #2

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well done, Slo. What a disaster.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:29 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

7.0 would cause havoc in San Francisco, I can't even imagine what it must be like out there. Thoughts and prayers to the people of Haiti, their friends/relatives abroad, and all the aid workers who are trying to help out.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:48 PM   #4

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts

We are getting ready to send our GO team over there, 10 of my officers and another 135 from other ports across the country. Should be there tomorrow. Won't let me go say I'm to high ranked for the deployment.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:46 PM   #5

i called my chain and volunteered to go.they said no with no further explanation

""If we need a programmer, I just go down to engineering or the signals division. For marketing people, I go to the psychological operations division. There's a finance battalion where all the accountants work. And then, for just about any other job you might have, go to the infantry barracks ? those guys are trained to handle anything." ~ Clarence Briggs

two wrongs dont make a right, but it makes us even!

Old 01-15-2010, 08:54 PM   #6

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Bottle neck is the airport.

Get some US Military Engineers in there and FIX IT!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-15-2010, 09:01 PM   #7

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Some runways are three foot thick concrete! Takes some heavy equipment and time to ffix that sort of thing. I don't understand why they aren't air dropping supplies into the ariport or a designated drop zone?

People get the government they deserve.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
Some runways are three foot thick concrete! Takes some heavy equipment and time to ffix that sort of thing. I don't understand why they aren't air dropping supplies into the ariport or a designated drop zone?
cause that would make too much sense

""If we need a programmer, I just go down to engineering or the signals division. For marketing people, I go to the psychological operations division. There's a finance battalion where all the accountants work. And then, for just about any other job you might have, go to the infantry barracks ? those guys are trained to handle anything." ~ Clarence Briggs

two wrongs dont make a right, but it makes us even!

Old 01-16-2010, 09:57 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowryde45 View Post
Hopefully it doesn't turn into another Mogadishu
Sadly, Slo - I think it will.

Haiti is a semi-country that has not had any kind of stable government since the dictatorial regime of the Duvaliers (Papa Doc and Baby Doc) who were ousted in 1987. Haiti at best has been in a sort of restrained anarchy since then.

The personal suffering and anguish of the Haitian people due to this disaster is tragic and heart wrenching. Make no mistake, this country has been effectively sent back to the stone age by the earthquake. What little government they used to have is essentially gone. What little economy they had is essentially gone.

In the immediate future in order to prevent mass starvation and death by disease, Haiti will have to become a gobal welfare state. Once that happens I do not think that Haiti can readily transition back to some sort of self sustaining entity. Their culture has too long been imbued with political corruption and a strong-man type government which has stifled development of a growing self sufficient culture and economy. Corrupt power seekers will take control, rival gangs will battle for power and control of the humaitarian aid. In short, Mogadishu.

TXnorton

Old 01-16-2010, 11:04 AM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Tragically, I think you may be right, TX. For all the reasons you mentioned and more, the situation seems just dire from these reports. A 'semi-country' indeed; it's been a political basketcase for a long time now, as you pointed out. And this is a disaster on an immense scale...

Quote:
PORT-AU-PRINCE: Anger and despair have mounted in quake-hit Haiti, with scores facing a third night trapped beneath the ruins, food and water running out, and little sign of international aid reaching the country.

The stench of death from up to 50,000 decomposing bodies lying in the streets hung over the capital of Port-au-Prince on Thursday as residents hunkered down for another night in the open, traumatised by aftershocks triggered by the 7.0-magnitude earthquake on Tuesday.

Despite a massive aid operation, there was no sign of heavy lifting equipment among the rubble even as tonnes of material and badly needed supplies flooded into the international airport in the capital.

Port-au-Prince airport was snarled by a host of logistical problems, forcing planes to turn away, stranding relief workers for hours and threatening to delay the relief supplies that Haiti so desperately needs.
Planes laden with supplies unable to land in Haiti

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D