Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Thoughts & Prayers.... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/thoughts-prayers-22174/)

slowryde45 01-14-2010 05:30 PM

Thoughts & Prayers....

xxxxxxxxxx

lonyaeger 01-14-2010 05:43 PM

Well done, Slo. What a disaster.

Mr. Bluesky 01-14-2010 06:29 PM

7.0 would cause havoc in San Francisco, I can't even imagine what it must be like out there. Thoughts and prayers to the people of Haiti, their friends/relatives abroad, and all the aid workers who are trying to help out.

Dzscubie 01-14-2010 06:48 PM

We are getting ready to send our GO team over there, 10 of my officers and another 135 from other ports across the country. Should be there tomorrow. Won't let me go :mad: say I'm to high ranked for the deployment.

failure_drill 01-15-2010 08:46 PM

i called my chain and volunteered to go.they said no with no further explanation

canebrake 01-15-2010 08:54 PM

Bottle neck is the airport.

Get some US Military Engineers in there and FIX IT!

dunerunner 01-15-2010 09:01 PM

Some runways are three foot thick concrete! Takes some heavy equipment and time to ffix that sort of thing. I don't understand why they aren't air dropping supplies into the ariport or a designated drop zone?

failure_drill 01-15-2010 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunerunner (Post 213382)
Some runways are three foot thick concrete! Takes some heavy equipment and time to ffix that sort of thing. I don't understand why they aren't air dropping supplies into the ariport or a designated drop zone?

cause that would make too much sense:D

TXnorton 01-16-2010 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowryde45 (Post 213425)
Hopefully it doesn't turn into another Mogadishu :mad:

Sadly, Slo - I think it will.

Haiti is a semi-country that has not had any kind of stable government since the dictatorial regime of the Duvaliers (Papa Doc and Baby Doc) who were ousted in 1987. Haiti at best has been in a sort of restrained anarchy since then.

The personal suffering and anguish of the Haitian people due to this disaster is tragic and heart wrenching. Make no mistake, this country has been effectively sent back to the stone age by the earthquake. What little government they used to have is essentially gone. What little economy they had is essentially gone.

In the immediate future in order to prevent mass starvation and death by disease, Haiti will have to become a gobal welfare state. Once that happens I do not think that Haiti can readily transition back to some sort of self sustaining entity. Their culture has too long been imbued with political corruption and a strong-man type government which has stifled development of a growing self sufficient culture and economy. Corrupt power seekers will take control, rival gangs will battle for power and control of the humaitarian aid. In short, Mogadishu.

zhuk 01-16-2010 11:04 AM

Tragically, I think you may be right, TX. For all the reasons you mentioned and more, the situation seems just dire from these reports. A 'semi-country' indeed; it's been a political basketcase for a long time now, as you pointed out. And this is a disaster on an immense scale...

Quote:

PORT-AU-PRINCE: Anger and despair have mounted in quake-hit Haiti, with scores facing a third night trapped beneath the ruins, food and water running out, and little sign of international aid reaching the country.

The stench of death from up to 50,000 decomposing bodies lying in the streets hung over the capital of Port-au-Prince on Thursday as residents hunkered down for another night in the open, traumatised by aftershocks triggered by the 7.0-magnitude earthquake on Tuesday.

Despite a massive aid operation, there was no sign of heavy lifting equipment among the rubble even as tonnes of material and badly needed supplies flooded into the international airport in the capital.

Port-au-Prince airport was snarled by a host of logistical problems, forcing planes to turn away, stranding relief workers for hours and threatening to delay the relief supplies that Haiti so desperately needs.
Planes laden with supplies unable to land in Haiti

:(