Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Thoughts on home based FFLs (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/thoughts-home-based-ffls-67347/)

silverado113 06-30-2012 02:27 AM

Thoughts on home based FFLs

As the title states what are your thoughts on home based FFLs? If you called a number or emailed a business and found out the business was home based Would you go or find a different dealer? It seems I have scared off a few people and I'm considering not mentioning it when I receive emails or calls.

hiwall 06-30-2012 03:31 AM

I would not have a problem dealing with a home based business.

linuxuser3890 06-30-2012 03:33 AM

I prefer them because I order most of the guns I purchase.

jordan89 06-30-2012 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverado113 (Post 853875)
As the title states what are your thoughts on home based FFLs? If you called a number or emailed a business and found out the business was home based Would you go or find a different dealer? It seems I have scared off a few people and I'm considering not mentioning it when I receive emails or calls.

I do most of my gun business in a garage behind someone's house. I don't mind it at all.

Do you have a set up like that? Or do you actually have to go inside your home?

silverado113 06-30-2012 04:27 AM

I have a walk out basement that customers go through. Problem is as soon as I say home based I get no response so I'm thinking I won't say anything unless asked.

kfox75 06-30-2012 05:22 AM

The primary LGS that I deal with is in a renovated barn on the family game farm. Gun shop, archery shop, gunsmith, target ranges,and taxidermy all in one building, and if I call the house they will go to the shop and let me in to get what I need. I have no problem with home based shops, I run one myself. For fifteen years I have run a auto and MC\ATV\ snowmachine repair shop. And yes, being home based I have had potential clients choose to go elswhere in the past. On the other hand, the customers I have are loyal and more than one has said "Hey, ya gotta start somewhere." Don't take it personal, some people just don't understand that you can get better service and deals from smaller shops, others do.

Axxe55 06-30-2012 05:45 AM

i think it depends on the level of professionalism that the home based FFL operates under. i got shunned by a few several years ago, when i was trying to buy another AR. the several that i tried to contact by phone and email never would return my phone calls or emails. how can someone expect to sell something when they don't return messages left about a potential sale? now would this make me not want to do business with a home based FFL? depends on how he conducts his business. if he returned my calls and acted as if he wanted my business, possibly. never returning my phone calls or emails, well he just lost my business and i would go elsewhere.

one of my new co-workers operates a home based FFL business. after working with him for the last few weeks, and getting to know him, i would definately consider doing business with him. i understand that some home based FFL dealers are hard working people who have a passion for guns, but also have bills to pay and work a full time job to support there families. so in a nutshell, a home based FFL dealer would not be a deal breaker for me, it would all depend on how he conducts his business.

danf_fl 06-30-2012 10:33 AM

I do not have a problem with a home based FFL.

But research is needed. Some are more helpful than the "Chain sports store" when it comes down to answering questions and such.

Some are no good.

Rick1967 06-30-2012 12:36 PM

It depends on the dealer. If they know their business that is what matters. I would rather deal with a real gun guy or gal than to go to a big box store with a bunch of convenience store type of employees. I get disapointed quick when I have to explain how a gun works or the history of a relic to the person trying to sell it to me. No one likes incompetence.

tri70 06-30-2012 12:52 PM

I would not have a problem if it was a reputable dealer, low overhead. I went to one that has a nice shop and gun range with reloading supplies in nice clean looking enclosed garage. He also taught law enforcement training and cc also his wife teaches defense courses for women. Very nice and knowledgeable guy.