Thoughts on Dr. Ignatius Piazza
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Thoughts on Dr. Ignatius Piazza

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 10:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Thoughts on Dr. Ignatius Piazza

Dr. Ignatius Piazza
Founder and Director
Front Sight Firearms Training Institute

Hey all, I was just wondering what your thoughts on this bloke were. I signed up for his free news letter a few years back when I was just getting into firearms and now am a bit sorry that I did because of all the email I get from him . Any way I was wondering what people had heard about him or even experienced or perhaps just opinions. Sorry if this is a sensitive topic though I can't imaging why it would be.

"Time to nut up or shut up." - Tallahassee

"Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid." - The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddn View Post
I'm a man, I see it as my obligation to like guns. And they are just so fun.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-08-2010, 11:21 PM   #2

Liked 320 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Well,2hot-
Martial arts skills (YES firearms skills are a martial skill,just as using escrima sticks or whatever are) as taught in America are not 'regulated' by any actual body of authority.
Alot of times,to lend credibility to a school,they will be under the voluntary regulation of federations and other self-governing bodies.....some martial art 'styles' are also trademarked I believe.....but the most important thing to understand is that MOST schools and even the associations a school might belong to are businesses -and highly competitive businesses- at that.

Martial arts skills then become a marketable product.People selling that product have to eat and feed their kids.

For the same reason why GM wants you to think their vehicles are better than Ford-to generate sales- they use targeted advertising to attract you to all the pluses and benefits of their product.

Now,does this mean some skills as taught by some people are 'better' than others,and some are totally worthless?

Does this mean there are misconceptions of reality espoused by some schools?

Does this mean there are even downright charlatans selling snake oil in the martial arts world?

Yes,yes,and unfortunately yes.

Now,I'm not naming any names because I dont know much about Mister Piazza,I've never been to front sight and I dont have the experience of their hospitality and training to speak from,but the buyer should always beware.

Marketing gimmicks can convince you that you MUST buy this ONE concept,idea,or product in order to be ABSOLUTELY TOP NOTCH.
Thats all hype.

Ads that say you can be a super killer kung fu commando if you study Master DuDu's death style are an almost dead giveaway and invite almost sure disappointment.Or worse.They can mislead you into a severe case of foolish overconfidence.THAT can get you FUBAR real quick.

Now,is it worth a class fee to pay to train with other people and with a coach that understands the subject matter more than you do?

Yes.It is.Absolutely 100%.It can be a very excellent learning experience.

Just dont believe the hype.

We all learn differently too.

Personally-I like to look for things -skills- that have historically worked on the battlefield.

I then train likewise.
As an example; for shooting skills-I have spent alot of time on learning point shooting.
I studied some WW2 material and went to work on learning the skills.

I also like McCann's sighted fire methods.He holds a Master Instructor rating in combative skills and is a subject-matter expert in close combat for the U.S. Marine Corps.

I prefer to learn stuff from the annals of actual combat history and from people who have actually 'been there and done that' and then went on to develop a skill set based on their experience.

Does this mean I'm 'better' than anyone else?
No.Hell no.

Its just my way of learning.

I could ALWAYS use more work.The day someone has sold you a package that makes you think its time to quit learning and training cause 'your now as good as an elite soldier' is the day you bought the hype.

Dont believe the hype.

Find out what works for you,and train like the midnight express.
"You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil. A good person will resist an evil system with his or her whole soul."
-Mahatma Gandhi

http://jpfo.org/
III%

Last edited by KalashnikovJosh; 06-08-2010 at 11:33 PM.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:43 PM   #3
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 483 Times on 269 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I don't know about the Piazza Guy. I do know that I can buy an XD myself and pay for training with my local Firearms Instructor and not spend anywhere near $1600.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:29 AM   #4

I have a .pdf of the WW2 era book "Shooting to Live" by Captains W.E. FairBairn and E.A. Sykes.

Maybe you'd like a copy-its free.

The only thing you'd have to pay for is the ammo and possibly the range fees.You'd have to find somewhere that will let you shoot like this tho.........its NOT conventional slow sighted fire stuff.

This is the stuff they taught our boys before they sent them overseas to kill Fascists and Japs.Since we won that war,I'd say it worked pretty well.

PM me and we'll find a way to transfer the file if you'd like.
"You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil. A good person will resist an evil system with his or her whole soul."
-Mahatma Gandhi

III%

Old 06-09-2010, 12:44 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

I was actually accepted to be an instructor for Piazza back in Nov. 08.. Making 60 grand a year. Unfortunately, he accepted my resume 8 days after getting my knee smashed at work and being permanently disabled now.
After some investigation, law suits etc. I'm glad that I didn't.. But that's just me. I have heard great things about the training if you can afford it.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:44 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Josh consider the PM sent.

Yeah that's the way I figured it Shihan, that much dough I can do a ton of shooting on my own. I was just wondering what peoples experiences had been. Or what people had heard.

"Time to nut up or shut up." - Tallahassee

"Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid." - The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddn View Post
I'm a man, I see it as my obligation to like guns. And they are just so fun.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:57 AM   #7

OK-now this stuff is not the "newest,most cutting edge Navy Seal" stuff......it'll look pretty,shall we say-'quaint'.

But I personally think that a good foundation can be built for some of the more modern stuff if you understand what has lead up to it and point shooting is still a very valuable skill to have.

Historically speaking,this book and the work these authors did are some of the first examples of special training given on the subject matter of close combat with the pistol.
-Mahatma Gandhi

III%