Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Thompson Center Price? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/thompson-center-price-2363/)

berettaindy 10-18-2007 06:29 AM

Thompson Center Price?

Now I know supply and demand can have an effect on prices but If I've been living under a rock can anyone enlighten me on why else the thompson center encore went from about 650 last year to almost 900 this year? I know they are nice and convertible but so is the NEF single shots and most modern single shots. Please nobody tell me that the flex tech stock is the difference because that is the rough change I saw at gander in used guns from last year to this year with wood stocks. Maybe I missed something.

BunnyWabbit 10-18-2007 04:06 PM

We had the Encore with the walnut and synthetic stock and I think 5 or 6 different barrels. We ended up selling the whole mess because it was such a pain in the a** to get the grip back on each time we changed a barrel. I think it's the concept of only having to buy a new barrel instead of a whole new gun that is selling this and making the price go up. My husband said he would never own another one.

berettaindy 10-18-2007 08:35 PM

thanks for your input

Well I found out they were aquired by ruger and that could explain a lack in supply which would cause a surge in price but the barrels are $250+ for an encore pistol barrel. Anything custom for a maker is 300 up to decked out at almost 600 for a barrel. I can buy a I think it is a remington model 710 or something from that line with a grey synthetic stock for I believe 310 brand new. Thats a whole rifle for the cost of a barrel.:confused:

Catfish 10-19-2007 12:07 AM

To me all guns are toys, and the TC`s are just more toys. Don`t ask me how many toys I have because I really don`t know. I do have 2 Encores, a rifle in 209-50 and a handgun in .357 max. Last year and the year befor I killed 3 deer with each of them. They have became my main arsnel for deer. I have 3 Contender frames and several barrels for them. My favorite being a .17 AH rifle barrel from Bullberry. I have a .357 mag. Contender that would make a great deer gun for someone, but I much prefer the Max. To say that they are over priced or under priced really does not mean much because if 2 people do not agree on the price there will not be a sale. The last Contender I bought I gave $450 for a frame and 4 barrels. One of the barrels had a cheap scope on it. If you stick a roll of green back in your pocket and walk around the gun show you would be suprised what you can come home with, and some times at a very reasonible price. The .17 AH barrel I bought came with dies for $200 and that is less than 1/2 price of new buy a good bit. The thing about that deal is that there are not many buyer out there for wildcats. I like to play with them and with this one I shot alot of 5 shot groups under 1/4 in. at 100 yrds. The best carry gun for groundhog I`ve ever had. I had and H&R in .223 that had a trigger job and was a nice little varment rifle, but it was not even in the same leage as the TC, and the price reflected that, but it did the same job.

berettaindy 10-24-2007 01:29 AM

I understand

I agree the t/c encore is the rifle I would like because I have gotten into playing around with wildcats.(dang buddies) The reason that I would like it is because I can play with wildcats but I'm a broke college student so the increase hit me a little harder than some.

sureshot43 10-31-2007 02:25 AM

They werent bought by Ruger,it was Smith and Wesson that bought them! I know a few guys who have these and all love them,especially in the pistol configuration.