Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Thinking about joining the high school football team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2012, 03:43 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

Best memories are from football. Work on your abs that's where u get hit alot that and helmet to helmet so learn to play with major headaches.
Id give a nut to be able to play for four more years.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #12

Liked 6103 Times on 3695 Posts
Likes Given: 6908

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoppingpower View Post
Best memories are from football. Work on your abs that's where u get hit alot that and helmet to helmet so learn to play with major headaches.
VERY BAD ADVICE.

Do NOT learn to play with headaches. Concussions are a very serious thing and very likely has long term after effects.

Beast, join the football team if you'd like. It's not for everyone but give it a try. If you don't like it, try something different the next year. My oldest son was very athletic in high school and didn't like football. He preferred soccer and baseball. Some would rather golf, wrestle, etc. The only 'rules' I had for my kids were once you joined a team, you had to finish the season. I would not let them quit after a couple games if they didn't like it. It's not fair to the team and it teaches responsibility and follow through, I felt. I always told them, "Once you sign up, you have to play the whole season. You don't have to sign up again next year but you can't quit mid season." When I told other parents my thinking they'd always so, "Yeah, I spent a lot of money signing little Johnny up for whatever sport." To me, it wasn't about the money, it was about 'keeping a promise', in a sense.

In any case. Play the way your coach tells you to play. He will NOT tell you to hit helmet to helmet. High school coaches have to follow the rules of IHSA and safety is a very big part of those rules.

dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 08-14-2012, 11:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

VERY BAD ADVICE.

Do NOT learn to play with headaches. Concussions are a very serious thing and very likely has long term after effects.

Beast, join the football team if you'd like. It's not for everyone but give it a try. If you don't like it, try something different the next year. My oldest son was very athletic in high school and didn't like football. He preferred soccer and baseball. Some would rather golf, wrestle, etc. The only 'rules' I had for my kids were once you joined a team, you had to finish the season. I would not let them quit after a couple games if they didn't like it. It's not fair to the team and it teaches responsibility and follow through, I felt. I always told them, "Once you sign up, you have to play the whole season. You don't have to sign up again next year but you can't quit mid season." When I told other parents my thinking they'd always so, "Yeah, I spent a lot of money signing little Johnny up for whatever sport." To me, it wasn't about the money, it was about 'keeping a promise', in a sense.

In any case. Play the way your coach tells you to play. He will NOT tell you to hit helmet to helmet. High school coaches have to follow the rules of IHSA and safety is a very big part of those rules.
I wasn't agreeing to hit helmet to helmet. I hatted that! What I mean is you will get your bell rang but that's the sport and u gotta play through it

Old 08-15-2012, 12:06 AM   #14

Liked 3731 Times on 1821 Posts
Likes Given: 13267

Quote:
Quote:
I wasn't agreeing to hit helmet to helmet. I hatted that! What I mean is you will get your bell rang but that's the sport and u gotta play through it
and in both instances you would be wrong! DO NOT LEARN TO PLAY WITH MAJOR HEADACHES and DO NOT PLAY THROUGH IT!

if you get your bell rung, take a seat and ice your neck ... DO NOT LAY DOWN! if anyone says differently, ignore them. You only get 1 brain and it has to last you a lifetime

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

My AR15 Build - Range Report
My AR458SOCOM Build

Old 08-15-2012, 12:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj

and in both instances you would be wrong! DO NOT LEARN TO PLAY WITH MAJOR HEADACHES and DO NOT PLAY THROUGH IT!

if you get your bell rung, take a seat and ice your neck ... DO NOT LAY DOWN! if anyone says differently, ignore them. You only get 1 brain and it has to last you a lifetime
So u never played with a headache? Don't be mad .. but again its not football if we have to sit out every time you get hit.. sure sit out for a series no problem and really do so if you feel like your heads gunna fall off. But that's the sport and that's the name of the game u don't play football to play patty cake

Old 08-15-2012, 12:57 AM   #16

Quote:
So u never played with a headache? Don't be mad .. but again its not football if we have to sit out every time you get hit.. sure sit out for a series no problem and really do so if you feel like your heads gunna fall off. But that's the sport and that's the name of the game u don't play football to play patty cake
I have and did and in each instance it was not the smart thing to do. The effects of concussions are cumulative, meaning have one today and you are more likely to have one tomorrow. It takes more than sitting out a series to recover from the damage that is done by a concussion.

The last concussion I had, while at work, took almost 3 weeks before I could walk/talk without feeling like I would fall over. That's the lasting legacy of sustaining head injuries and not getting proper treatment.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

My AR15 Build - Range Report
My AR458SOCOM Build

vincent Likes This 
Old 08-15-2012, 01:01 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj

I have and did and in each instance it was not the smart thing to do. The effects of concussions are cumulative, meaning have one today and you are more likely to have one tomorrow. It takes more than sitting out a series to recover from the damage that is done by a concussion.

The last concussion I had, while at work, took almost 3 weeks before I could walk/talk without feeling like I would fall over. That's the lasting legacy of sustaining head injuries and not getting proper treatment.
Let's just settle at this if one feels ****ty to play its up to the player and coach.. not gunna argue online

Old 08-15-2012, 01:07 AM   #18

Liked 1949 Times on 1028 Posts
Likes Given: 4277

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post

That actually explains a lot!!

Seriously, Dog is right, concussions are nothing to get all 'machismo' about, but there are times when you may not even realize you got your bell rung. Like he said, it adds up over time...something to think about...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting
dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 08-15-2012, 01:12 AM   #19
10-32

Liked 2910 Times on 1715 Posts

Concussions suck. I've had many.
Having to be woken up every two hours for 3 nights in a row to make sure you wake up is not fun.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
That actually explains a lot!!
explains what?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas