Thinking About Getting Out Of Dodge - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Thinking About Getting Out Of Dodge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 10:19 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5714 Times on 3230 Posts
Likes Given: 5146

Dozens of small towns in Wyoming
No state income tax
No gun control of any kind
Friendly foilks
Most of the conveniences if you really want them
Most places within less than a day's drive of a big city if you need that.
Not democrat friendly though!

Winston Churchill
People Like This 
Old 02-06-2013, 10:31 PM   #12

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Personally, i do like being able to pee freely in the back yard. I never noticed not doing that in Memphis, but i did notice when i moved back down here, very freeing and nobody has to go inside during a bar-b-que but the chicks.
Come back to Memphis Gello, Memphis is one big urinal.

NEVER FORGET

People Like This 
Old 02-06-2013, 11:06 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 677 Times on 317 Posts
Likes Given: 394

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Personally, i do like being able to pee freely in the back yard. I never noticed not doing that in Memphis, but i did notice when i moved back down here, very freeing and nobody has to go inside during a bar-b-que but the chicks.
Only problem I have is after getting used to the convenience is remembering not to do it in the Walmart parking lot when I get out of the truck!
Old 02-07-2013, 12:03 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3168 Times on 1800 Posts
Likes Given: 18407

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
where i live, you pay 600.00 for ambulance service. its a helocopter...because anything else? youd be dead by the time you got to town.
here you pay for a fire dept. you pay annual dues to the fire chief. and pray your house doesnt catch fire during milking time. they aint gonna kill their cows for your stupidity if you burn your house down.
and...many insurance companies wont insure your house if youre far away from the fire dept bldg or on a dirt road. and if they do...that 3 grand youre trying to run from in taxes just goes into insurance.

the only snow plowing on county roads you get is your own. sometimes you gotta plow your way to town.

so again...it aint as easy as you think.
Yue gots Ambalance servise ? Dang SLICKER....!

Old 02-07-2013, 02:12 AM   #15

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

I'll take the country living any day!

I grew up in a town that WAS 18,000 people and now over a 100,000 not including students at the 5 different colleges there.
Growing up most of my free time was spent at my grandparents farm in the country where there were farm chores,hunting,and fishing to do all the time. They didn't have air conditioning,they didn't have a gas or electric heat,they didn't have indoor plumbing or running water in the farm house.They had two wood stoves,a outhouse,and a water well that was filled from the house gutters not the easiest way of life,but some of my best childhood memories were there on that simple farm out in the middle of no where.

The wife and I bought a little place in the country just before we were married 25 years ago where I have run a HVAC business since 1990 and farm some row crops here as well.We really enjoy the country living along with the small country schools our children attended and the people here in our country community are best neighbors you could ask to have....Sadly that city of a 100,000 plus is moving this way

Old 02-07-2013, 02:33 AM   #16
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 953 Times on 625 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
No state income tax
Friendly foilks
Is Wyoming the only state that can leave the union if they are imposed with restrictions on gun rights? One of the states made that deal with the Gov, but I cannot remember which one.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:08 AM   #17

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
No state income tax
Friendly foilks
Plus I have a 40 acre homestead for sale there.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

dango Likes This 
Old 02-07-2013, 03:16 AM   #18

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Ive always wondered what it must be like living quietly away from the city lights. I grew up in the Philly burbs, and have set up my wife and family here. Bobski, that was a deep post my friend. You bring the backwoods fantasy living back to reality!

Still, I dont think I could ever fully leave the burbs and go all out into a land where its a good mile until the next neighbor. I would, however, someday like to push out west away from Philly and settle in a remote suburb area....no closer than an hour drive to the city. I want land, lower taxes, and a better sense of living. Problem is, my wife is GLUED to her friends and family around here and wouldnt wanna move too far.

Last edited by StainlessSteel215; 02-07-2013 at 03:20 AM.
dango Likes This 
Old 02-07-2013, 03:17 AM   #19

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
I own my home in a suburb, outside the city on an acreage. I have an established small business storefront on a busy street in a major city.

I am becoming tired of the rat race, taxes, bookwork, and on and on and on.

Thinking about packing it in, selling my home that costs $3,500 a rear in taxes to support, and moving to a small town, in an under developed county, with little or no taxes.

Have any of you, moved away from the large cities, to sit on a porch swing, and get out of the turmoil?
I bounced around bigger cities the first 25 years of my life and hit a wall. I moved to a small town where I loved to come and fish and moved from it when it got a little crowded. Now I live in a little place that does not have a traffic light and could not be happier. I can shoot on my land asnd if I see a car then they are pretty much coming to see me or they are lost. We have a few cows, a bunch of chickens. We where running a greenhouse but I am not sure we're going to do that for a while I can get water for any of a few springs. Man it's cool to get water for free that people pay for by the bottle... Litterally, There are two companies that sell water that comes form the same source as we get here. Small town life is the best! In a way it's like going back in time. Where a mans word still has weight and people help each other in times of need. But still leave you the hell alone...Unless you need something..heh

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

People Like This 
Old 02-07-2013, 03:44 AM   #20

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

If you have to drive your truck to go Elk hunting you live in an urban area? If the only wolves you read about are in your Red Rideing Hood Book you are crowded. If Mountain Lions don't control stray cats in you back yard you are too near town. If you think coyotes are dangerous you have never met a Grizzly Bear.
It takes more than a mail box to call your home rural.