Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Thinking About Getting Out Of Dodge (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/thinking-about-getting-out-dodge-83581/)

AR10 02-06-2013 08:43 PM

Thinking About Getting Out Of Dodge

I own my home in a suburb, outside the city on an acreage. I have an established small business storefront on a busy street in a major city.

I am becoming tired of the rat race, taxes, bookwork, and on and on and on.

Thinking about packing it in, selling my home that costs $3,500 a rear in taxes to support, and moving to a small town, in an under developed county, with little or no taxes.

Have any of you, moved away from the large cities, to sit on a porch swing, and get out of the turmoil?

WebleyFosbery38 02-06-2013 08:54 PM

I was born and raised a hick. When my Wife and I got married, she convinced me to buy in a small town near where I grew up. It was nice, expensive and I got sick of too many people having an opinion about others homes, yards, kids etc. We finally called it and bought a big old house in the boonies about 10 years ago, few neighbors, all of them great! Life has never been better! Escape while you can! Good luck.

orangello 02-06-2013 08:57 PM

Personally, i do like being able to pee freely in the back yard. I never noticed not doing that in Memphis, but i did notice when i moved back down here, very freeing and nobody has to go inside during a bar-b-que but the chicks.

Sonic82 02-06-2013 08:58 PM

Wish I had the money to do that....it would make my day. To move to the country I mean...However, I'd still use the bathroom.

orangello 02-06-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic82 (Post 1126836)
Wish I had the money to do that....it would make my day. To move to the country I mean...However, I'd still use the bathroom.

Flushing is highly over-rated. :p It also gives the animals spots to cover up.

bobski 02-06-2013 09:12 PM

just do everyone in the sticks a favor. dont drag the city there with you. its not about a location change, its about a lifestyle change too.

but i got news for ya.
you know why cities were invented? so people in the sticks could have something to aim for when they left. in my parts its called leaving the mountain.
im here to tell ya, livin in the sticks is back breaking work. if its not, you didnt really leave the city. all you did was relocate it to the woods with all your luxuries.
ive known generations of men who packed up their family and (rescued) them from the farm. i knew farmers who vowed never to stay a day in a house without air conditioning again. i know farmers who consider splitting wood a cursed nessessity.
burbs are what people in the sticks call places where city folk arent too sure what they want. they got one foot in the city and one foot in the woods.... but still depend on a grocery chain to feed them.
my place up here in the ozarks is in with proud people. 3-4 generations of farmers who work 16-18-20 hour days. who go thru tornadoes, earthquakes, drought, disease that wipes out herds, locust that eat crops. yes sir..thats a tuff breed indeed.
and this is why i laugh at all those wanting to run to the hills for shtf. you guys have no clue in blazes whats waiting for you. and what makes you think the people in the hills ALREADY THERE want you around?
it aint the land of oz, im here to tell ya.

so think real long and hard my friend. if you dont like the smell of muck boots on a mud porch, know how to hitch a 3 point, know how to keep a well from freezing, or like 3 dog nights...stay where you are.;)

you dont escape turmoil in the sticks, its just a different kind of turmoil that kills strong men.

this comes from my heart.

eldarbeast 02-06-2013 09:16 PM

When you go make sure that a competant doctor/hospital is nearby for those sudden emergencies that come calling when you least expect it.

eldar

texaswoodworker 02-06-2013 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AR10 (Post 1126813)
I own my home in a suburb, outside the city on an acreage. I have an established small business storefront on a busy street in a major city.

I am becoming tired of the rat race, taxes, bookwork, and on and on and on.

Thinking about packing it in, selling my home that costs $3,500 a rear in taxes to support, and moving to a small town, in an under developed county, with little or no taxes.

Have any of you, moved away from the large cities, to sit on a porch swing, and get out of the turmoil?

Come to Texas. No state income tax and plenty of beautiful country.

bobski 02-06-2013 09:41 PM

where i live, you pay 600.00 for ambulance service. its a helocopter...because anything else? youd be dead by the time you got to town.
here you pay for a fire dept. you pay annual dues to the fire chief. and pray your house doesnt catch fire during milking time. they aint gonna kill their cows for your stupidity if you burn your house down.
and...many insurance companies wont insure your house if youre far away from the fire dept bldg or on a dirt road. and if they do...that 3 grand youre trying to run from in taxes just goes into insurance.

the only snow plowing on county roads you get is your own. sometimes you gotta plow your way to town.

so again...it aint as easy as you think.

AR10 02-06-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobski (Post 1126893)
where i live, you pay 600.00 for ambulance service. its a helocopter...because anything else? youd be dead by the time you got to town.
here you pay for a fire dept. you pay annual dues to the fire chief. and pray your house doesnt catch fire during milking time. they aint gonna kill their cows for your stupidity if you burn your house down.
and...many insurance companies wont insure your house if youre far away from the fire dept bldg or on a dirt road. and if they do...that 3 grand youre trying to run from in taxes just goes into insurance.

the only snow plowing on county roads you get is your own. sometimes you gotta plow your way to town.

so again...it aint as easy as you think.

Not looking for easy, thinking more about how far the city dwellers will need to walk to get to me out in the sticks once the lights go out.

Snowed in, fine, ain't needing anywhere anyway.

Texas? Sounds good, but pretty far from here, in Nebraska. I think a small Nebraska community, is really all I need. 300 people in a county sounds about right. Nebraska is toying with the idea of no state taxes to lure more businesses here, and getting the ones here to stay.

Somewhere 100 miles from the nearest walmart!