Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > thinking about buying a boat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 03:14 AM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 894 Times on 406 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimogden1984 View Post
That's nice, and you reminded me if another question I could probably find on Google if I looked. What do you do to winterize a boat?
I pull the drain plugs in the exhaust/water manifolds and pull hoses off to make sure all water is evacuated from engine. Once I am sure all water is out, I pull air cleaner off of carb and start the engine. Then I spray a marine fogging oil into the carb until it kills engine. then pull each spark plug and spray the fogging oil into each cylinder. The fogging oil prevents any and all moisture from getting into the engine over the winter. Finally, unhook battery and cover boat back up. Bam you're done!

****Wait wait wait! I also add a fuel stabilizer to the gas tank to keep remaining fuel fresh.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Old 10-20-2013, 03:58 AM   #32

Liked 1761 Times on 1129 Posts
Likes Given: 903

Quote:
That's nice, and you reminded me if another question I could probably find on Google if I looked. What do you do to winterize a boat?
Pay a Captain to run it to south Florida.
I can recommend a few places. Let me know what you require. Funky fish dock, laid back rum dock, dock bar, party dock with lounge chairs and kegs all over, or discreet dock with hot and cold running hookers.

Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
You do the math.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:24 AM   #33

Liked 741 Times on 423 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

Before you buy one...go to the boat ramps you will be using the most on a nice day, and see how crowded it is. I went boating with some friends from work this summer. We spent more time waiting in line to put the boat in the water, then waiting our turn to get the boat out of the water...than we did actually on the water. Maybe not an issue where you live. Or if you can go during the week. This was on a nice Saturday.

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

Old 10-20-2013, 04:29 AM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn-cindy View Post
Before you buy one...go to the boat ramps you will be using the most on a nice day, and see how crowded it is. I went boating with some friends from work this summer. We spent more time waiting in line to put the boat in the water, then waiting our turn to get the boat out of the water...than we did actually on the water. Maybe not an issue where you live. Or if you can go during the week. This was on a nice Saturday.
a lot of my fishing is usually done in the evening/night. whether that'll change if I'm in a boat and can get to deeper water I do not know. Also the river I'll be using will be in a very small town. I'm hoping that won't be too much of a problem
Old 10-20-2013, 06:01 AM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 3

What about fiberglass vs aluminum? What are the pros and cons of each

Old 10-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #36

Liked 336 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
What about fiberglass vs aluminum? What are the pros and cons of each
Fibreglass is a softer ride than alloy but it can get a cancer in it if water gets into or through the outer fibreglass and into the transom area and can in the worst scenario cause the transom to break off.

Alloy although a bit noisy will take a bit more of a hammering than fibreglass and is easier to fix if a hole appears in the hull.

Either way like women they're an expensive proposition if your not prepared for them.

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

Old 10-20-2013, 01:29 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 779 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn-cindy View Post
Before you buy one...go to the boat ramps you will be using the most on a nice day, and see how crowded it is.
Watching people on a ramp is cheap entertainment.

I dragged a ski boat for a long time behind a bronco. Short wheelbase, long coupled trailer, extremely tight garage, I learned very quickly how to back up a trailer

So one day, I'm at a lake that is mostly summer cottages watching the follies of the ramp on a holiday weekend. Ramp is blocked with two idiots for almost 1/2 hour. Neither one can get their trailers in the water... I finally had enough of their follies, locked the front hubs, backed the trailer off to the side of the ramp, ex wife drove onto the trailer, and I pulled the boat out. Literally 20 seconds!

WRT buying a boat, I've often thought about getting back into it. But when I got rid of my last boat, I sat down and added up all my expenses for the past year, and the number of times I went out... damn those were expensive outings.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #38

Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
What do you do to winterize a boat?
I keep my current boat in my heated garage. The only thing I do over the winter is keep a battery maintainer hooked-up and run the outboard once a month.

Back when I used to store my boat in the carport, I would use a Fogging Spray in the cylinders, and run the pink RV Antifreeze through the cooling system to protect it from freezing.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:10 AM   #39

Liked 336 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 26

The best entertainment ever is watching the you beaut ski boats and the very expensive fishing boats being launched especially the morons who won't set the boat up for launching while waiting in line.

It's just the best entertainment for free that you can ever get and it's best watched in a deck chair with a video recorder set up and a esky full of beer.
Watching the clowns take 2-3 attempts to back down the ramp and then once in the water start to unload everything they need for the day taking somewhere around 10-20 minutes more meanwhile the line up gets longer and longer.
The crowning moment comes when old mate all of a sudden realises that because the ramp is so slippery he can't get up the ramp in his late model sedan therefore needing somebody to either winch him up or snatch strap him to get him moving but not to be outdone his boat has now floated off because the wife/kids have dropped the rope to come up and gawk/help without tying off.

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

stratrider Likes This 
Old 10-21-2013, 02:37 PM   #40

Liked 1085 Times on 748 Posts
Likes Given: 1108

Here is my two cents & just because they are simple.............
http://www.loweboats.com/2013/jon-boats/l1852mt-jon/

When all else fails.

Doc3402 Likes This