thinking about buying a boat - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > thinking about buying a boat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 12:40 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I would recommend keeping it small and simple. I have owned boats from a canoe up to a 32' motor yacht.

My current boat is a 16' Livingston cat hull. I use it more than any other boat that I have owned. It's easy to trailer and launch by myself.

I don't know if you see used Livingston's in your area, but you may want to consider checking them out. The 14 footer should fit your needs. They typically go for $2000-$3000 around here. Look for a center console and at least a 30 horse outboard (though that would be marginal for pulling a tube.)

BTW, the newer 14 footer's are far better than the older 13 footer's (that people will often list as 14 footer's.)

My 16 footer (her name is Bad Kitty) beached last week in the San Juan Islands:

Last edited by bwraven; 10-20-2013 at 12:44 AM.
People Like This 
Old 10-20-2013, 12:53 AM   #22

Liked 1950 Times on 1239 Posts
Likes Given: 1060

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwraven View Post
I would recommend keeping it small and simple. I have owned boats from a canoe up to a 32' motor yacht.

My current boat is a 16' Livingston cat hull. I use it more than any other boat that I have owned. It's easy to trailer and launch by myself.

I don't know if you see used Livingston's in your area, but you may want to consider checking them out. The 14 footer should fit your needs. They typically go for $2000-$3000 around here. Look for a center console and at least a 30 horse outboard (though that would be marginal for pulling a tube.)

BTW, the newer 14 footer's are far better than the older 13 footer's (that people will often list as 14 footer's.)

That's beautiful!

Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
You do the math.

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 10-20-2013, 01:06 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwraven View Post

Thank you, I'll be sure to check it out. Haven't seen any on Craigslist though

Old 10-20-2013, 01:07 AM   #24
Table of Warriors Placeholder
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6881 Times on 3755 Posts
Likes Given: 13562

I do like those center consoles.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 10-20-2013, 02:00 AM   #25

Jim, you have a wife or semi permanent significant other? If you do, and you think she's going to go boating with you (), you'd better think about a head.
A 5 gal. bucket with a seat ain't gonna cut it.
There are center console with a head under the helm. More bucks.
Her first cruise on one will be "I liked it, but the bathroom is too small."
You'll be "ok, baby, we need a little bigger boat"
You'll find a cute cuddy with a head and bunk. More deinero.
She'll make one cruise and say "it's nice but I need a little more room to get ready in the morning.
You'll say, "ok sweetheart, I'll find something"
You'll find a 32 ft. cruiser with a queen berth, head with shower, small galley, and
an ice maker. More money.
She'll hug you and rock the boat for a couple of months, then she'll say "the neighbors boat is so much nicer"
Then you know you're well and truly screwed.
You're either heading to a yacht, getting out of boating, or getting a divorce, in which case it's going to be a looong time before you can afford a canoe.

Welcome to boating.

You do the math.

Old 10-20-2013, 02:12 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatme98 View Post
Jim, you have a wife or semi permanent significant other? If you do, and you think she's going to go boating with you (), you'd better think about a head.
A 5 gal. bucket with a seat ain't gonna cut it.
There are center console with a head under the helm. More bucks.
Her first cruise on one will be "I liked it, but the bathroom is too small."
You'll be "ok, baby, we need a little bigger boat"
You'll find a cute cuddy with a head and bunk. More deinero.
She'll make one cruise and say "it's nice but I need a little more room to get ready in the morning.
You'll say, "ok sweetheart, I'll find something"
You'll find a 32 ft. cruiser with a queen berth, head with shower, small galley, and
an ice maker. More money.
She'll hug you and rock the boat for a couple of months, then she'll say "the neighbors boat is so much nicer"
Then you know you're well and truly screwed.
You're either heading to a yacht, getting out of boating, or getting a divorce, in which case it's going to be a looong time before you can afford a canoe.

Welcome to boating.
luckily I'm single, I don't have to worry about anyone other than myself and a couple Fishin buddies. And if a 5 gal bucket isn't good enough for them then they can go for a swim!
Old 10-20-2013, 02:26 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimogden1984 View Post
luckily I'm single, I don't have to worry about anyone other than myself and a couple Fishin buddies. And if a 5 gal bucket isn't good enough for them then they can go for a swim!
Good. Tell 'to go for a swim, the Capt doesn't do buckets.

You do the math.

Old 10-20-2013, 02:56 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 960 Times on 438 Posts
Likes Given: 71

I say buy one. I guess I am one of the few who own a boat and do not regret it. I absolutely love being out on the water! That being said I am not a fisherman, so I cannot really offer helpful advice on a fishing boat. But I say get one with as much power as you can afford. Its expensive to upgrade motors later if you get an underpowered one to start off with. I have a 23 ft. VIP Vindicator with a 365 hp 460 King Cobra. I run a 19 pitch 4 blade prop and can pull as many tubes as I can get behind it. I got it out and ran it last weekend. I am hoping to get it out a couple more times this year before I have to winterize it.

photo-apr-20-3-19-17-pm.jpg   photo-oct-12-6-58-27-pm.jpg  
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Old 10-20-2013, 03:01 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGunner View Post
I say buy one. I guess I am one of the few who own a boat and do not regret it. I absolutely love being out on the water! That being said I am not a fisherman, so I cannot really offer helpful advice on a fishing boat. But I say get one with as much power as you can afford. Its expensive to upgrade motors later if you get an underpowered one to start off with. I have a 23 ft. VIP Vindicator with a 365 hp 460 King Cobra. I run a 19 pitch 4 blade prop and can pull as many tubes as I can get behind it. I got it out and ran it last weekend. I am hoping to get it out a couple more times this year before I have to winterize it.
That's nice, and you reminded me if another question I could probably find on Google if I looked. What do you do to winterize a boat?

Old 10-20-2013, 03:12 AM   #30
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8740 Times on 3779 Posts
Likes Given: 1341

In the interest of full disclosure, I DO have a boat (sorta). About as minimalistic as you can go- a 14' Alumacraft Jon boat. I DO have a 9.9. but rarely use the gasoline engine. I have two 65 lb trolling motors- use it for fishing on lakes that do not permit gas motors. Not complicated enough to cost me real money- and great for some real low intensity relaxation with a lunch, cold drinks, spinning rod and a stray grandkid or two.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt