So, you think running the country is easy do you? Think you have all the answers and could keep your population happy, healthy AND give them a low enough tax base to make a good living, perhaps prosper and retire?
Well, it's time to put your money ( actually it's 100% free ) where your mouth is....
At this website you can sign up to run your own little country. You will be put in charge of a growing population, and each day you will be asked, by your citizens and members of your government, to vote on issues that have real world impacts the following day on your citizens and their rights. Each day you get 1, or two if you feel like a work-a-holic, issues and with your vote, the government works to implement them in the next 24 hours, giving you feed back on your taxes, on your political freedoms, on your personal friends and your economy ( don't worry, no math skills are required ). Each day you will be ranked in accordance with other countries in your region to see how you, as a ruler, stack up against other people from around the globe.
This is actually a pretty fun game and I thought a few of you might like to turn your kids on to it for some summer "fun" with an educational undertone. I have about 10 people in our little corner of the "world" and we have been playing for about 3 months. It's quite addicting as you make one change on one day, and before you know it, something you thought was good for the people, turns around and bites you in the ass.... LOL
Here is a brief synopsis of some recent votes that I had to make...
• 8 hours ago: Following new legislation in your country, elections have become procedural nightmares due to voters persistently rejecting candidates.
• 21 hours ago: Following new legislation in your country, the nation is experiencing a severe shortage of sporting events.
• 1 day ago: Your country was reclassified from "Capitalist Paradise" to "Inoffensive Centrist Democracy".
• 1 day ago: Following new legislation in your country, the polar bear is a protected species.
• 1 day ago: Following new legislation in your country, pharmacies close down as medicinal drugs are sold freely by the government.
• 2 days ago: Following new legislation in your country, citizens are permitted to carry concealed firearms.
And it continues to spiral out of control as the days go on. My citizens have had tons of freedoms, only to have riots, we have had no freedoms, only to have riots, we have been a financial juggernaut and we have had people starving on the streets during a "recession". It's quite fun and educational, so I thought I would share it with the rest of you...