Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Think You Can Run a Better Country? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/think-you-can-run-better-country-5302/)

Dillinger 07-01-2008 03:14 PM

Think You Can Run a Better Country?

So, you think running the country is easy do you? Think you have all the answers and could keep your population happy, healthy AND give them a low enough tax base to make a good living, perhaps prosper and retire?

Well, it's time to put your money ( actually it's 100% free ) where your mouth is....

www.nationstates.net

At this website you can sign up to run your own little country. You will be put in charge of a growing population, and each day you will be asked, by your citizens and members of your government, to vote on issues that have real world impacts the following day on your citizens and their rights. Each day you get 1, or two if you feel like a work-a-holic, issues and with your vote, the government works to implement them in the next 24 hours, giving you feed back on your taxes, on your political freedoms, on your personal friends and your economy ( don't worry, no math skills are required ). Each day you will be ranked in accordance with other countries in your region to see how you, as a ruler, stack up against other people from around the globe.

This is actually a pretty fun game and I thought a few of you might like to turn your kids on to it for some summer "fun" with an educational undertone. I have about 10 people in our little corner of the "world" and we have been playing for about 3 months. It's quite addicting as you make one change on one day, and before you know it, something you thought was good for the people, turns around and bites you in the ass.... LOL

Here is a brief synopsis of some recent votes that I had to make...

8 hours ago: Following new legislation in your country, elections have become procedural nightmares due to voters persistently rejecting candidates.
21 hours ago: Following new legislation in your country, the nation is experiencing a severe shortage of sporting events.
1 day ago: Your country was reclassified from "Capitalist Paradise" to "Inoffensive Centrist Democracy".
1 day ago: Following new legislation in your country, the polar bear is a protected species.
1 day ago: Following new legislation in your country, pharmacies close down as medicinal drugs are sold freely by the government.
2 days ago: Following new legislation in your country, citizens are permitted to carry concealed firearms.

And it continues to spiral out of control as the days go on. My citizens have had tons of freedoms, only to have riots, we have had no freedoms, only to have riots, we have been a financial juggernaut and we have had people starving on the streets during a "recession". It's quite fun and educational, so I thought I would share it with the rest of you...

JD

fapprez 07-01-2008 04:31 PM

Sounds fun! I'll let you know how bad I fail.

cpttango30 07-01-2008 06:09 PM

Yes I could. If you stop paying all these worthless SOB (Congress, The House, and many other public offices) and make them do it for FREE then they might get some thing done. But I doubt it.

anm2_man 07-01-2008 08:07 PM

Well I always thought that since when I was a kid, I had to sign up to the Selective Service. I had a high probability of being drafted and serving in Vietnam. So why not a Selective Service to serve your country again, but this time you have to be 65. We are still going to elect the president, but congress and the senate will become drafted volunteers. One would be selected from a lottery, you would have to pass several tests (No different than being drafted by the armed forces). Term limits are enforced (you do 2 years when your young in the army - why not here also). If you get called up and have passed all of the tests, you go to Washington. You get paid NOTHING ! But housing staff support and travel between your home state and DC are paid for (Oh it will be coach class - just like are armed forces).

This could fix the problems we have in Washington today.

Chester 07-01-2008 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anm2_man (Post 30016)
Well I always thought that since when I was a kid, I had to sign up to the Selective Service. I had a high probability of being drafted and serving in Vietnam. So why not a Selective Service to serve your country again, but this time you have to be 65. We are still going to elect the president, but congress and the senate will become drafted volunteers. One would be selected from a lottery, you would have to pass several tests (No different than being drafted by the armed forces). Term limits are enforced (you do 2 years when your young in the army - why not here also). If you get called up and have passed all of the tests, you go to Washington. You get paid NOTHING ! But housing staff support and travel between your home state and DC are paid for (Oh it will be coach class - just like are armed forces).

This could fix the problems we have in Washington today.

Can you imagine us old farts going through basic? We'd be telling the drill instructors to GO TO HELL

fapprez 07-10-2008 10:52 PM

Update

Well, in just 9 days I have managed to take my country from a New York Times Democracy to a Moralistic Democracy to a Inoffensive Centrist Democracy back to Moralistic and back again to Inoffensive and I currently reside as a Democratic So******t government.

Dillinger 07-10-2008 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fapprez (Post 31330)
Well, in just 9 days I have managed to take my country from a New York Times Democracy to a Moralistic Democracy to a Inoffensive Centrist Democracy back to Moralistic and back again to Inoffensive and I currently reside as a Democratic So******t government.

Nice huh? How many times have you voted on one issue, thinking it would fall one way, only to find out you did something COMPLETELY the opposite? LOL

What's your tax rate after 9 days? And how issues a day are you voting?

JD

Doug1627 07-10-2008 11:30 PM

So I made a country. Can I only vote on issues once per day?

matt g 07-10-2008 11:38 PM

OOOhhh! I want in on this. Can you declare martial law and go all Tienanmen Square on your citizens?

matt g 07-10-2008 11:46 PM

Quote:

The Republic of Pee town is a tiny, socially progressive nation, remarkable for its compulsory military service. Its hard-working, intelligent population of 5 million enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct.

The medium-sized, corrupt government juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Defence, and Religion & Spirituality. The average income tax rate is 14%. A small private sector is dominated by the Arms Manufacturing industry.
This is going to be fun.