Think I'm out of the guns for a while.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Think I'm out of the guns for a while.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default Think I'm out of the guns for a while.

While I do still love them, I think its time that I start devoting my energies to something new. We just bought a new house on 6 acres and who could have dreamed there were so many things to do. We've got a 3 acre yard and 3 acres of thick woods that I plan to start cleaning out this fall. Our little 33" riding mower took me 5 hours to mow with last weekend so something had to change. I shopped long and hard and found a dandy little JD tractor with only 350 hours that came with a 60" finish mower. Cleanest older tractor I've ever seen! Could have bought some really nice guns instead, but they aren't much good for mowing, grading driveways, and brush hogging. I will still be frequenting the forums and making grips, but I have a feeling my future activities and purchases will rarely be gun-related. Here is my newest toy after I got her all shined up.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1216 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Plant some pine trees and turn it into 5.8 acres of thick woods. Less mowing time, more shooting time.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #3

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus
While I do still love them, I think its time that I start devoting my energies to something new. We just bought a new house on 6 acres and who could have dreamed there were so many things to do. We've got a 3 acre yard and 3 acres of thick woods that I plan to start cleaning out this fall. Our little 33" riding mower took me 5 hours to mow with last weekend so something had to change. I shopped long and hard and found a dandy little JD tractor with only 350 hours that came with a 60" finish mower. Cleanest older tractor I've ever seen! Could have bought some really nice guns instead, but they aren't much good for mowing, grading driveways, and brush hogging. I will still be frequenting the forums and making grips, but I have a feeling my future activities and purchases will rarely be gun-related. Here is my newest toy after I got her all shined up.
What's the horsepower on it? Another question, just how thick are your woods? If they are extremely thick, bushogging might be very difficult. Good luck, looks like a you found a new hobby, even though riding on tractors can be very boring.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quite understandable. I sold my classic cars and devoted our energies to resolving our debts a couple years ago. It has paid off in spades and we will be nearly debt free by early next year.

I believe that our next tractor will be the new JD that has the optional equipment like a backhoe that can be easily attached and detached. I could have REALLY used it yesterday as I had to dig up the leech field ends of our septic system. It backed up and we found that the ends of the drainage lines were clogged up pretty badly. Yuk!! I ended up using our New Holland and the drag blade canted at an angle to hit like a spade. The ground was soft and it worked, thank God. Saved me having to pay someone that had a backhoe.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #5

Liked 263 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Nice, now you can make a small food plot in the back 3 acers and take up bow hunting?? Nice clean tractor for sure. What year. It is nice to have some land around you instead of liveing in a highly developed area.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #6

Yeah, we moved from a city of 500,000 living in a tightly packed subdivision to moving closer to family in a small town and getting some very good acreage.

As I get the woods thinned out, I will either be putting in food plots and bow hunting or I will make my own range for 22s.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:05 PM   #7
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2220 Times on 1200 Posts
Likes Given: 801

I'd be plotting out where I want to put the berm for the end of the range.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 06-13-2012, 01:28 AM   #8

I did a little YouTube video on the tractor this evening. I would appreciate the thumbs up and sharing with anyone you think might enjoy. Thanks fellas!

http://youtu.be/NiHxLaeyjBY