Think i might cry.... - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Think i might cry....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 09:44 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 346 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper61
I am a Howitzer Section Chief in the FA, in Afghanistan...the vision thing is recruiter BS!! I have a Soldier in my Section who has glasses that are literally alomst 1/2 inch thick!!! Granted I'm in the US Army, so our standards might be different, but odds are he's just tryin to fill quotas. BTW I got to train with your FA school house in Gaugetown. Good freakin training (and by training I mean drinking )!!
You know, I'm starting to think you guys might be right. I'm going to give them a call and see if I can speak with someone in the medical field to see what they have to say about it. but like reaper61 has said, it's different requirements for each countries armed forces, so he could be telling the truth.

Haha only reason it was good "training" is because we have better beverages then you guys do.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:00 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 660 Times on 403 Posts
Likes Given: 3706

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
You know, I might just do that. I work with someone who's active duty and when me and him where talking about it he gave an odd look and straight out said "I think that guys just pulling your chain." I would really be to surprised either. A few of the active members I know wear glasses, I'm just not to sure what their vision is like. I'll get a hold of someone in medical next time I get a chance to and see what they say.

As for the ASVAB/CFAT, I already took mine. It was done on June 10, 2011. Same day as my physical and medical. Things have just been insanely slow. I was also told that I scored high enough to go for the jobs that I had selected, that's the reason I was a little surprised when I was told that I wasn't able to go for them.
When you were told you "weren't able to go for them", was it by a recruiter, or by a career couselor? Also, what was the specific wording? Did it have to do with the prescription? Or was it possibly some level of being color blind?

We had Canadian Army members on my Camp when I was in Afghanistan. A few of them had pretty think glasses.

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 03-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason609

When you were told you "weren't able to go for them", was it by a recruiter, or by a career couselor? Also, what was the specific wording? Did it have to do with the prescription? Or was it possibly some level of being color blind?

We had Canadian Army members on my Camp when I was in Afghanistan. A few of them had pretty think glasses.
He never said he wether he was a recruiter or a career counselor. But now that you mention it, I'm thinking he was a counselor as he said "you'll have to find a different trait to go for if your still interested. All you'll have to do when you decide is call the unit you'll be attached to and let them know, well leave you file open for seven days. If we don't hear back from you by then, your file will be closed."

As for the exact wording he used when informing me that my vision isn't up to par, I don't remember. But it was something pretty close to "I've looked over your medical that's been sent to us and attached to your file, and because of your eye site, we're not able to place you in your desired trait."

As far as I know though, I'm not colour blind since every time they pull out that test book, I never have any troubles with it. I've been tested a few times with that book by different people and they've always said I'm just aces.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:17 AM   #24

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Kaido... if you were color blind you wouldn't get to be a mechanic. I vote recruiter bs.

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 03-17-2012, 04:22 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagj17
Kaido... if you were color blind you wouldn't get to be a mechanic. I vote recruiter bs.
That's what's messing me up. I can be a mechanic, but he I can't be in any combat rolls?

Eye sight plays a pretty big part in each area. Vehicles have small parts and targets are....well small at a distance.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:06 AM   #26

Again, might cry. But from happy-ness this time.

I got in from work and was told that my Aunt called. She said that the military had called her and asked if she could pass a message to me. I'm accept and everything, but they apparently had no number to reach me. All I could think is that someone over there at the recruitment centre is slacking....I called to update my cell phone number a good six months ago.

But anywhoo, gonna call my aunt in the morning and see what exactly she was told.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:19 AM   #27

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I don't think even the Canadian military would let you keep a Fro... But they'll serve you meat at every meal!

Old 03-24-2013, 03:29 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
I don't think even the Canadian military would let you keep a Fro... But they'll serve you meat at every meal!
I'd be good with losing my fro to start training. I've waited close to two years or so now to actually do anything aside from the physical and aptitude tests......also seems like a good trade for meat at every meal. Haha

Old 03-24-2013, 04:19 AM   #29

Liked 226 Times on 141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido
Okay okay, maybe not hit THAT hard by it, but what I was told does suck some serious lemons.

I got in from school all of 20minuites ago and my Mongols me I had a phone call from a CPT.fake-name from the recruiting center by me. Needless to say, after a few weeks of me always calling them, I was pretty stoked. Then he told me the reason he was calling.

My vision wasn't up to par with the choices I was going for (Infantry, Combat Engineer, and Field Artillery). That put a small kink in my plans for life. It did get a little better though.

He told me that I still have a couple of choices left that I can go for, even with my eye sight. So now I'm down to Bosun in the navy(gotta find out what that is), cook, Intelligence operator, Mechanic(any thing under that), Material Technician (have to find out what this one is too), Medical Assistance, and finally a Signal Operator.

Needless to say, glasses kinda suck now. Haha

EDIT for those who didn't happen to catch it, I was nor am I close to crying. The tittle was simply just a way of saying it was lame finding out I couldn't go for what I was hoping.
Dude I wouldn't blame you if you did cry.

Once upon a time I thought that I was put here to serve in the marine corp,was so sure of it that I lost almost a 100 pounds and got into the best shape of my life to do it. This was right out of high school. I scored a 90 on my azvab and qualified for every job in the corps. I was outrunning and out working all the other poolees that had been waiting months for the bus to Paris island. I went to MEPS and failed the hearing test twice for high frequency hearing loss in ONE ear. This was right after the budget cuts hit the Marines,they didnt tell me if I tested again that day and failed it would give me a permanent disqualification. Anywho I got my dreams **** down right there on the spot. Went and got a hearing test that said I could hear everything I needed to but someone higher up the chain gave a no-go.

After all the work and effort I put into getting in,changing my whole lifestyle,loosing all that weight. I was a broken man for a while,and I hadn't even been a man long. I was so lost but I came to terms with the fact that someone bigger than me must have put me on this earth for another reason.

I DID cry leaving the recruiters office after MEPS and few times after that. No woman had ever broke my heart like that.

So I know how you feel kaido,but keep your head up. Just tell yourself your meant to do something else,something bigger and better if it doesn't work out.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:32 AM   #30

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Jstrong, I have to say, I already knew your story, but having met you in person and getting to know you a bit, I think you would've made a damn fine Marine.