Think i might cry.... - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Think i might cry....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 08:50 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post

That's why I was thinking about going with intel for a little bit. I thought it would be something that's fairly fun and exciting to do. I also like the challange of having to remember things. Never expected to learn all the top secret things that go on surfing wars at all. Was only expecting to know when the next offensive/patrol was going to be made. Haha
I dont know what ur guys do up there but here some guys do what i did and some guys did know all the top secrets. I didnt wanna know all of that and would rather be out doing things then sitting in an office. I did have alot of clearances i never used but had just due to my mos requirements.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:45 PM   #12

Liked 346 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retaks

I dont know what ur guys do up there but here some guys do what i did and some guys did know all the top secrets. I didnt wanna know all of that and would rather be out doing things then sitting in an office. I did have alot of clearances i never used but had just due to my mos requirements.
That's why I was going for a combat roll at first. I dot like desk jobs very much at all. But I'd o been the same as you, I'd avoid anything top secret.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:53 PM   #13
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 698 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

I'm sorry to hear it, but am proud you are still deciding to serve our Nation.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

locutus Likes This 
Old 03-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #14

Well guys, had a recruiter come to the school, was the same person as last time too. Haha

I was talking to him and he said that after enrolling and being accepted as a reservist it might take any where from a couple months to a year to have everything switched over for me to become an active duty member. Totally not what I was hoping to hear as far as time goes. Haha

He also said that if I stayed in, finished my basic as well as my trades training, then i could drop out of reserves and then re-enlist for active duty and there's a pretty good chance I wouldn't have to go through the training again. But he also said that's if I'm going for the same position, even the. It would very case by case.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:52 AM   #15

Go to the local bookstore and buy something like ASVAB for dummies or something related and study it like hell. If you test well enough then you may either be able to request a waiver for eyesight or have the government pay for eye correction surgery. That's what I did and I'm an ex-seal. They like the smart ones there bud haha good luck.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:50 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 660 Times on 403 Posts
Likes Given: 3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
Well guys, had a recruiter come to the school, was the same person as last time too. Haha

I was talking to him and he said that after enrolling and being accepted as a reservist it might take any where from a couple months to a year to have everything switched over for me to become an active duty member. Totally not what I was hoping to hear as far as time goes. Haha

He also said that if I stayed in, finished my basic as well as my trades training, then i could drop out of reserves and then re-enlist for active duty and there's a pretty good chance I wouldn't have to go through the training again. But he also said that's if I'm going for the same position, even the. It would very case by case.
Something it seems that he didn't mention was that your reserve unit has to release you which is their choice, and one that is usually made in their favor. They put time and money into you, so they'll want to have something to show for that.

Also, after reading your first post, it got me thinking... did you go to MEPS for a physical? If so, they would have told you there if your eyesight wasn't up to par for the job you want.

Now, for something that I do have some experience with...

I'm a former 13B (field artillery). Looking at the pic of the glasses you shared... I had a few guys on my crew with much THICKER lenses. And a few more in my battery.

Now, I'm not trying to talk crap about a recruiter, BUT, they don't always have YOUR best interest at heart. They get perks for recruiting for specific jobs, and will do what they can to get a potential recruit to agree to whatever they wanted.

Also, do what Seal6 suggested. Getting a high score on the ASVAB opens more jobs. Also makes waivers a bit easier to come by.

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 03-15-2012, 06:07 AM   #17

I'll be honest guys, I'm not to sure of a lot of the acronyms just yet since im still fairly new to the more specific ones relating to jobs and other such thing.
I do know them for the most part though.

I'm also not to sure if the requested book would help me out a whole lot since its probably made for the American forces.

I also wasn't aware that recruiters got perks for getting people into certain positions at all. I might talk to a different one when I get the chance to and see what they have to say about eye sight. I'm also pretty sure that our (Canada's) government doesn't pay for corrective eye surgery. I do know that if you have a health plan they'll cover I think half of it though.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:48 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 660 Times on 403 Posts
Likes Given: 3700

Every recruiter, whether it's military, sports or any other job will always get perks for filling needed areas, regardless of the recruitee's desires.

I wouldn't talk to another recruiter. I'd contact either someone at the Military Entrance Processing Command (MEPS), or whatever Canada's version is. Either that, or find someone already serving, and try to get the info about a Chief Medical Officer. Recruiters know only what they need to. They don't know ALL the rules and restrictions. Though, they can get access to that info, I don't trust them.

The ASVAB stands for Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery. I'm not sure what Canada has as far as an entry test, but, I can say with 99% certainty - IF they have a similar test, there will be a book to help you study for it.

A not so quick goolge search.... Canada has the CFAT or Canadian Forces Aptitude Test. I have found several pratice test, but so far nothing as far as a study guide goes. You may want to check out a few (major) book stores to see if you can find something.

You can always contact the National Defense Headquarters in Ottowa for information.

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 03-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason609
Every recruiter, whether it's military, sports or any other job will always get perks for filling needed areas, regardless of the recruitee's desires.

I wouldn't talk to another recruiter. I'd contact either someone at the Military Entrance Processing Command (MEPS), or whatever Canada's version is. Either that, or find someone already serving, and try to get the info about a Chief Medical Officer. Recruiters know only what they need to. They don't know ALL the rules and restrictions. Though, they can get access to that info, I don't trust them.

The ASVAB stands for Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery. I'm not sure what Canada has as far as an entry test, but, I can say with 99% certainty - IF they have a similar test, there will be a book to help you study for it.

A not so quick goolge search.... Canada has the CFAT or Canadian Forces Aptitude Test. I have found several pratice test, but so far nothing as far as a study guide goes. You may want to check out a few (major) book stores to see if you can find something.

You can always contact the National Defense Headquarters in Ottowa for information.
You know, I might just do that. I work with someone who's active duty and when me and him where talking about it he gave an odd look and straight out said "I think that guys just pulling your chain." I would really be to surprised either. A few of the active members I know wear glasses, I'm just not to sure what their vision is like. I'll get a hold of someone in medical next time I get a chance to and see what they say.

As for the ASVAB/CFAT, I already took mine. It was done on June 10, 2011. Same day as my physical and medical. Things have just been insanely slow. I was also told that I scored high enough to go for the jobs that I had selected, that's the reason I was a little surprised when I was told that I wasn't able to go for them.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #20

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I am a Howitzer Section Chief in the FA, in Afghanistan...the vision thing is recruiter BS!! I have a Soldier in my Section who has glasses that are literally alomst 1/2 inch thick!!! Granted I'm in the US Army, so our standards might be different, but odds are he's just tryin to fill quotas. BTW I got to train with your FA school house in Gaugetown. Good freakin training (and by training I mean drinking )!!

OIF Veteran
OEF Veteran
Lifetime VFW Member
NRA Member